Windows 10: Windows 10 Start Menu, Settings & Search Box Not Working

Discus and support Windows 10 Start Menu, Settings & Search Box Not Working in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My laptop is running Windows 10 Home 32 bit, version 1803. When I try to access the start menu, use the search box or access any settings in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by grains66, Jun 9, 2019.

1. grains66 Win User

Windows 10 Start Menu, Settings & Search Box Not Working

My laptop is running Windows 10 Home 32 bit, version 1803.

When I try to access the start menu, use the search box or access any settings in Windows 10 nothing happens.

I've tried restoring Windows, including a full reset and reinstall and the problem persists.

I followed all the advice in this thread - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/cannot-access-start-menu-search-or-settings-in/3c4baa71-fbc8-4a41-b617-b352d08ac910 apart from creating a new user account, but none of it makes any difference.

The reason I haven't created a new account is because the only way I can find to do that is via settings and I can't access settings.

I can't check or run Windows update because when I try to access it I get an error saying "package could not be registered".

Any help you be greatly appreciated.

:)

grains66, Jun 9, 2019
  2. scevism Win User
    scevism, Jun 9, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Jun 9, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Start Menu, Settings & Search Box Not Working

Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Jun 9, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Start Menu, Settings & Search Box Not Working

1. Windows 10 Start Menu, Settings & Search Box Not Working - Similar Threads - Start Menu Settings

2. Start up menu & search box in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start up menu & search box in Windows 10: HiI cant access the Windows start up menu from my desktop bottom left hand side and the search function won't work either when I type into it. Can anyone help please...
  3. Settings and search bar of start menu not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings and search bar of start menu not working.: I was facing some issues with the latest Windows 10 KB5014699. So I uninstalled that version. Now, when I try to open settings it just briefly flashes and disappears. And my windows search bar also not working....
  4. Settings and search bar of start menu not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings and search bar of start menu not working.: I was facing some issues with the latest Windows 10 KB5014699. So I uninstalled that version. Now, when I try to open settings it just briefly flashes and disappears. And my windows search bar also not working....
  5. Settings and search bar of start menu not working.

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Settings search box not working in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings search box not working in Windows 10: I can't type anything into my settings search in Windows 10, the cursor just blinks there and no words are entering in even though I am typing. Please help!...
  7. Settings search box not working in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Settings search box not working in Windows 10: I can't type anything into my settings search in Windows 10, the cursor just blinks there and no words are entering in even though I am typing. Please help!...
  8. Settings search box not working in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Start Menu restarts explorer.exe, and Search Box not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu restarts explorer.exe, and Search Box not working: Suddenly this night I turn on my laptop and now everytime I open and try to use the Start Menu the Windows Explorer restarts out of nowhere. I've tried doing a clean boot, searched for updates, scanned with Windows Defender, used sfc /scannow and dism.exe, and still nothing....
  10. search in start menu and "search box" on task bar not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    search in start menu and "search box" on task bar not working: Hello, no idea why but typing in my start menu and search box suddenly doesn't work. Oddly after playing around with powershell and some tips online (see below) I have gone from nothing appearing in the search box when I type to only the first character of whatever I type...