Windows 10: Windows 10 Start Menu stopped working

Discus and support Windows 10 Start Menu stopped working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Some help please. Out of the blue my start up menu doesn't open and i can't even click on sear bar nothing happens. I have the latest windows 10 with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mn072065, Nov 4, 2017.

1. mn072065 Win User

Windows 10 Start Menu stopped working

Some help please. Out of the blue my start up menu doesn't open and i can't even click on sear bar nothing happens. I have the latest windows 10 with fall update. I did fall update last week when it downloaded and no problems until now. Weird. Any help please.

:)

mn072065, Nov 4, 2017

2. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Nov 4, 2017
  3. Gina_on_the_thread, Nov 4, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

Once administrative command prompt is open follow these commands>
    First these are keyboard keys to open administrative command prompt in case you cannot click on the windows icon.

1) win + x
    2) a
    3) alt + y
    The administrative command box should open

Type or copy and paste these commands:
    1) sfc /scannow
    2) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    3) chkdsk /scan
    4) net user test /add
    5) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread
    6) shutdown /r
    7) when the computer reboots sign on with the new user named test and test the start menu.

Report the results into the thread.

If the above does not fix the problem then reregister the start menu with this administrative powershell command:

Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}

Then reboot.

If the above does not fix the underlying problem then run the Microsoft start menu troubleshooter within this link:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/window...troubleshooter

And if all of the above does not fix the start menu then open the windows advanced troubleshooting menu and perform a system restore to a date which predates the problems (Probably the restore point created when windows was upgraded).

zbook, Nov 5, 2017
  5. Geneo Win User
    Geneo, Nov 5, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    Try using Classic Shell which I use on all of my Windows 10 PCs. You can configure it so mouse hover opens the Classic Shell menu and left mouse click opens the Start Menu. See Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements

You can also try a repair install if the troubleshooting given above doesn't work.

Steve C, Nov 5, 2017
  7. mn072065 Win User
    This solved my problem

Go to Settings -> Accounts -> Sign In Options and turn off "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or a restart". This appears to prevent the windows start menu hang from happening.

mn072065, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Start Menu stopped working - Similar Threads - Start Menu stopped

2. Search and Start Menu Stopped Working

in Cortana
    Search and Start Menu Stopped Working: Windows searched suddenly stopped working for me, and it's become extremely annoying. I can't click in the search box in either the taskbar or windows explorer. It looks like something resets and I can't type anything in either window. Furthermore, clicking on anything in the...
  3. Search and Start Menu Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search and Start Menu Stopped Working: Windows searched suddenly stopped working for me, and it's become extremely annoying. I can't click in the search box in either the taskbar or windows explorer. It looks like something resets and I can't type anything in either window. Furthermore, clicking on anything in the...
  4. Search and Start Menu Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 start menu button stopped working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 start menu button stopped working: It suddenly stopped working, the windows key in my Keyboard doesn't do anything either. Is there a way to fix this or should I just wait for a Windows update for it to fix itself? submitted by /u/BenZ_osu [link] [comments]...
  6. Windows 10's Start Menu stop working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10's Start Menu stop working: Problem Menu don't appear when clicking icons on start menu such as wifi icon, speaker icon and start icon which look like a window logo. This problem occur when using the computer and I have to restart the computer to fixed it. I don't like my current solution because i...
  7. Start Menu stopped working Windows 10 1909

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu stopped working Windows 10 1909: The start menu has stopped working, when I click on the start button it makes the search box disappear and the menu doesn't open. Restarting my computer fixes it for a little bit but then goes back to not working again....
  8. Start menu stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu stopped working: The Startmenu stopped loading at startup and/or when depressing window. It use to work fine. New updates are messing up and resetting many of my settings. 82721
  9. Start Menu stops working?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu stops working?: Been happening alot lately I can't open my start menu it just stops working. Only a restart or log off works. Any ideas? 24315
  10. Windows 10 Start Menu stop working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Menu stop working: Hi I am using Windows 10, and my start menu stop working for me. I have run the following commend in Powershell. sfc /scannow DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register...