Windows 10: Windows 10 Start Search can't find stuff in Start Menu

Discus and support Windows 10 Start Search can't find stuff in Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I have a clean install of windows 10 with bootcamp on a macbook 13 early 2015 using the iso downloaded from microsoft. I've also enabled compact os.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by michaelm, Mar 3, 2017.

1. michaelm Win User

Windows 10 Start Search can't find stuff in Start Menu

Hi I have a clean install of windows 10 with bootcamp on a macbook 13 early 2015 using the iso downloaded from microsoft. I've also enabled compact os.

I have this same problem: Windows 10 Search can't find ANY applications. Even calculator - Super User it seems.

Win+S doesn't find native applications like Edge, Calculator or anything that I installed, like Skype.

I tried everything I found on the internet, running the search troubleshooter (it doesn't find anything wrong), deleting that registry key, using that powershell command to reinstall native apps, rebuilding the index, setting the correct en-us language everywhere, creating a new user to see if the search works there (it doesn't).
    I also disabled Cortana, no change, Search behaves the same.

Search finds internal windows stuff, like everything in control panel, just not things in Start Menu.
    To be clear, I'm not talking about File Explorer search, that works. Just Start Menu Search, using Win+S.

:)

michaelm, Mar 3, 2017

2. search box

I can't find the search box on the start menu on windows 10. None of the previously posted answers seem to apply to this particular problem.

itsalwayssomethingmore, Mar 3, 2017
  3. briman94 Win User
    Windows Search is completely unresponsive

After a system refresh (reset Windows while keeping personal files), I was able to get search to work...on the stuff that was in the Start Menu at install time. It would not find new stuff added to the start menu, nor would it properly "Search my stuff"
    (clicking Search My Stuff does absolutely nothing). I tried rebuilding the index, and it won't find anything except Notepad now. It still responds, but does not return any results.

I'm wondering if this has to do with the fact that I have multiple partitions. Two NTFS, one Mac OS Journaled partition. All three are readable by Windows, but only the two NTFS ones are being indexed. Could Microsoft really have made the huge oversight
    not to test with multiple partitions and this is the problem? Search works fine on my Surface Pro, which has only one partition.

This problem is extremely frustrating, because I have to actually navigate into Program Files to start half my programs, or find them in the "All apps" list if they were added to the Start Menu properly.

briman94, Mar 3, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Start menu search not finding applications?
    Would you care to read thru that thread and see if anything helps? And assuming yours is the same symptom - I know nothing about bootcamp- please join that thread.

Key to this is search indexing working and no changes (deletions) being made to what's indexed.

dalchina, Mar 3, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Start Search can't find stuff in Start Menu - Similar Threads - Start Search can't

2. Can't partial search windows 10 start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't partial search windows 10 start menu: Hi, I'm searching for an app on my computer. I type in 'shade' and it finds no apps. I know for a fact I have gshade installed, in fact I gave up on search and scrolled down my start menu and found gshade waving at me. I don't like what has happened to my search functions.....
  3. Windows Start Menu Search not finding WinWord.exe

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Start Menu Search not finding WinWord.exe: I have a puzzle. I am having a problem with Office 365 right now. It caused me to search for WinWord.EXE. When I used the Start menu, it did not find the file. Start menu did find the Word tile. Opening the file location of the Tile gave me the shortcut. The shortcut...
  4. Can't find programs using the start menu search

in Cortana
    Can't find programs using the start menu search: Recently I am no longer able to find any programs using the start menu search, it just gives me things like downloaded files. For example, I can't find the control panel by typing in "control panel"....
  5. Start menu search can't find some applications

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu search can't find some applications: I am unable to search for some applications on my new laptop. I have tried rebuilding the index and restarting twice now with these options: [img] For example, both Chrome and Firefox are installed and have icons in the start menu, both show up under "Most Used" and both...
  6. Start menu search not finding applications?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu search not finding applications?: Hi, I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. However once i install programs like Office 2013 i can't find the application exe files by searching in the start menu. If i search for outlook or word in the start menu nothing shows up, this was not an issue in...
  7. Start Menu Search Can't Find Installed Apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search Can't Find Installed Apps: I've noticed now on multiple computers I've installed Windows 10 on, that a quick win-key search isn't able to bring up installed apps. I'm sure this isn't how it's meant to be, and that there must be a fix... right? 10556
  8. How to add stuff in Windows Start menu search?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to add stuff in Windows Start menu search?: For example previously on Windows 10 I just used to type "CC" and CCleaner used to show up and I pressed enter. Now I open start menu, type CC and it shows all web results. How do I add a shortcut there? 9780
  9. Can't search from Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't search from Start menu: Hello! I recently had to reinstall (complete/clean install) W-10, and ever since then I cannot search from Start. I open the Start menu as normal, either by clicking the icon or by pressing the Windows key on my keyboard, but when I press any key as I normally would to...
  10. Start Menu search not finding files

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu search not finding files: When I go to search for files (such as images/videos) through the Start Menu search (Cortana), files do not appear in results. The only way I can actually find these files is to manually click the "More" dropdown and select whichever file type it is (photos, videos, music...