Windows 10: Windows 10 started not powering off on shutdown or restarting

Discus and support Windows 10 started not powering off on shutdown or restarting in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; One of my laptops, the HP Elitebook 8460P with Windows 10 Creators Update, latest drivers and updates, started not power off on shutdown. It doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sirron, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Sirron Win User

Windows 10 started not powering off on shutdown or restarting

One of my laptops, the HP Elitebook 8460P with Windows 10 Creators Update, latest drivers and updates, started not power off on shutdown. It doesn't matter if I do a regular shutdown, Shift Shutdown, Restart, Safe Mode, "shutdown /s /t 0", it just goes through the steps and says shutting down services, then shutting down or restarting depending on which one I pick and does the bubbles in a circle and the mouse cursor still works and that's it. I have to hold down the power button to force it to turn off. Nothing shows up in the Event Viewer, I tried SFC & DISM /Restorehealth, chkdsk, and they all come up clean. I tried disabling Fast Boot and hibernation, and unplugging it and removing the battery and holding down the power button. There are no other devices connected to this laptop and it is the same hardware that it has had for over two years. I tried to rollback and then disabling the Intel Management Engine that I saw some people suggested, but there is no difference. There are no blue screens, no errors, nothing logged in Event Viewer, all hardware passes diagnostics, and everything else works just fine and it boots up quickly.

Any help on fixing this would be appreciated.

:)

Sirron, Aug 25, 2017

2. Shutdown on Power Menu in Fall Creator's update

That's an interesting observation. Beginning in Windows 8, shutdown does not actually shutdown. It "logs off and then hibernates". A "restart" is still a real restart (meaning that a restart is better at troubleshooting that shutdown+power back up, which
    is definitely not intuitive!)

To troubleshoot, I think I'd start by going to your power options and try turning off the "fast startup" option, and see how it behaves with that turned off.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Aug 25, 2017
  3. Log off in Windows 10

Clicking on the power selection in the Start menu in Windows 10 does not give me a Log off option, only Sleep, Shutdown, or Restart. There are two users for my PC and in earlier versions of Windows you were able to Log off and another user could log on without
    having to restart or shutdown the computer first.

Has the log off function been taken away for Windows 10?

Claude M from NJ, Aug 25, 2017
  4. Windows 10 started not powering off on shutdown or restarting

Hi Sirron. Welcome to the TenForums @Sirron

Any chance you have Restore Points enable and are able to select one, using System Restore, from a point in time before this happened?

Call me overly cautious but I would create a system Image before trying with a tool like Macrium Reflect. For sure back up you personal data off device.

When it does this do you see anything about Updates? Did you install or customize any software just before this started to happen? Did you install or reconfigure any hardware recently?

Failing the above, I would also try reset my power plan back to defaults and then rebooting.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 25, 2017
Thema:

Windows 10 started not powering off on shutdown or restarting

1. Windows 10 started not powering off on shutdown or restarting - Similar Threads - started powering off

2. Shutdown/start vs restart...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shutdown/start vs restart...: what is the disparity in time duration for a shutdown/wait 20 sec./restarting @ 45 seconds, and restarting via WinKey+X/U/R @ 2 mins & 20+ secs In both cases no apps opened, of course. Clean slate and includes login....
  3. Shutdown/start vs restart...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shutdown/start vs restart...: what is the disparity in time duration for a shutdown/wait 20 sec./restarting @ 45 seconds, and restarting via WinKey+X/U/R @ 2 mins & 20+ secs In both cases no apps opened, of course. Clean slate and includes login....
  4. Shutdown/start vs restart...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 10 powering off on start up immediately

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 powering off on start up immediately: I have a hp spectre 360 I7 that keeps powering off almost immediately after start up, started after windows update Dec.28th. After update it started getting hot so I changed some performance settings to passive and it stopped getting hot fans quit running after update turned...
  6. Windows 10 Showing "Update and Shutdown" and "Update and Restart" in Start.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Showing "Update and Shutdown" and "Update and Restart" in Start.: I have updated my Windows 10 Today. Now, My windows 10 is always showing "update and shutdown" and "update and restart" in power menu. When you select any of them, windows would restart or shutdown much slower, but no updates would be installed. When system is on again, those...
  7. shutdown,sleep,restart is missing in start power menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    shutdown,sleep,restart is missing in start power menu: whenever i click on power button on start menu it shows there are no power option currently available https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutdownsleeprestart-is-missing-in-start-power/8136bb96-7481-4404-a2c7-649ff62a20dd
  8. windows 10 slow restart slow start after shutdown

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 slow restart slow start after shutdown: new win 10 in new del laptop. ver 1809, start after shutdown : 1 min 52 sec restart : more than 2 minutes. how reduce this time ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-slow-restart-slow-start-after-shutdown/44277b0f-bbe8-4c5a-8a95-45c205c50e2e
  9. Windows 10 fails to power off after ANY shutdown commands

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 fails to power off after ANY shutdown commands: Hi folks! I have had no luck getting Windows 10 Pro to shut down properly. I’ve tried every reported solution on every thread I’ve found, with no success. Perhaps you could help? Is there a way to get a log file of what goes on during shutdown? Intel i7 3770-k Asus...
  10. Win 10 restart or shutdown doesn't log off

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 restart or shutdown doesn't log off: On my computer with Windows 10 OS, I sometimes saw strange messages saying that there is other user logged in when trying to shutdown or restart the computer. It turned out that Windows 10 preserves running programs in your account and does NOT log you off when you shutdown...