Windows 10: Windows 10 starts behaving erratically after about 28 days uptime

Discus and support Windows 10 starts behaving erratically after about 28 days uptime in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone, my Windows 10 PC has a very strange behavior: after about 28 days uptime it starts behaving erratically. First, videos start freezing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bitman, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Bitman Win User

Windows 10 starts behaving erratically after about 28 days uptime

Hello everyone,

my Windows 10 PC has a very strange behavior: after about 28 days uptime it starts behaving erratically. First, videos start freezing and stuttering randomly, both online videos like Youtube and video files saved locally on the PC. Then it works again for a few hours, after which things really start going south: the audio breaks down (whenever a program tries to play audio a message pops up referring to the audio card saying that "The specified device is already in use"), and videos won't even start anymore. I've already witnessed the whole process several times, and I suspect it's so systematic you could set your watch to it.

I also noticed another problem, don't know if it's related, but I have the video set to turn off after 15 minutes of inactivity, no screen saver, it just turns off. After a prolonged uptime (probably 20 days, but I'll have to check the exact timing), whenever the video is off, every minute or so it blinks back on for a split second. This, in turn, seems to stress the video card (Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti), because every now and then the fan turns on very loudly.

I couldn't find anything on the Internet. Am I really the only user on Earth having this problem?

Where does one even start to debug this issue?

Thanks,

:)

Bitman, Mar 25, 2021
  2. newtekie1 Win User

uptime

Long periods of uptime for Linux is expected, but what about 600+ days of uptime on a Windows server?

Windows 10 starts behaving erratically after about 28 days uptime Windows-603-Days-Uptime.png

Yes, the server is still in use, no it is not connected to the internet. I had to power it down after taking this screenshot to clone a failing hard drive.

newtekie1, Mar 25, 2021
  3. E66 behaves erratically after using GPS

Hi everybody,

I have noticed that after I use my GPS (with Ovi Maps 3.0) my E66 will behave erratically.

I have listed the following symptoms:

- Applications will not load (most of them);

- Unable to launch contacts, calendar, messaging;

- On standby, it will not lookup contacts based on T9 input ( i.e.: from standby screen, typing 3283 should bring any "Dave"s on contacts);

- Will interfere on hidden applications;

Anybody noticed that or can try to reproduce it?

I am using E66-3 (211.03) with SW version 102.07.81

ppucci---01, Mar 25, 2021
  4. Windows 10 starts behaving erratically after about 28 days uptime

num key 3/pgdn key behaving erratically in windows 10

Hi Ashok,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience as mouse and keyboard not working fine after upgrade to Windows 10, we will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to connect external keyboard and mouse and check if they are working.

If external keyboard and mouse is working, then follow the below:

Method 1: Start computer in safe
    mode.

• Type Settings in the search box on the desktop, select
      Settings.

• Here select Change pc settings and then
      General.

• Scroll down to Advanced startup, click
      Restart now.

• Click on Troubleshoot, Advanced options, and Startup Settings.

• Click Restart, select Safe mode and then press
      Enter.

Method 2: Try to update/install the drivers in compatibility mode on Windows 10.

Step 1: Uninstall and update keyboard driver.

Steps to uninstall keyboard driver:

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Keyboard.
    • Right on the Keyboard driver
      and click on Uninstall.

Steps to Update the keyboard driver.

• Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Keyboard.
    • Right on the Keyboard driver
      and click on Update driver software.
    Also, try to search for the drivers from Manufacturer's website and install them in the compatibility mode.

Step 2: Uninstall and update mouse driver.

Steps to uninstall mouse driver:

• Select Device Manager.
    • Expand mouse.
    • Right on the mouse driver and click on
      Uninstall.

Steps to Update the mouse driver.

• Select Device Manager.
    • Expand mouse.
    • Right on the mouse
      driver and click on
      Update driver software.

Step 3: Now, I suggest you to start the device in Normal mode to check if the issue persists.

Steps:

• Press Windows + R to open Run command.
    • Type msconfig and press Enter.
    • Under General tab, check mark Normal start-up and click on
      Apply and on Ok.
    • Now select Restart.

Also, try to search for the mouse
    drivers from Manufacturer's website and install them in the compatibility mode.

You can install Windows 8/8.1 drivers in compatibility mode if there are no Windows 10 compatible drivers.

Follow the steps to install in Compatibility mode:

• Download the updated driver from the manufacturer’s website.
    • Right click the driver installation file and select
      Properties then tap or click the Compatibility tab.
    • Place a check in the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box.
    • Tap the drop down box and select a previous operating system, then tap or click
      OK.
    • Try installing the driver and check.

Hope it helps. Please perform the above methods and update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 25, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 starts behaving erratically after about 28 days uptime

1. Windows 10 starts behaving erratically after about 28 days uptime - Similar Threads - starts behaving erratically

2. My touchpad not touchscreen is behaving erratically, it is opening windows menu, help...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My touchpad not touchscreen is behaving erratically, it is opening windows menu, help...: Hi all,My system is HP spectre x360 running windows 11 digitally licensed. I am facing this issue where the mouse / touchpad is behaving erratically with a mind of its own. I don't even see the mouse pointer but windows menu, notifications, help section etc keep opening...
  3. Mouse suddenly behaving erratically

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse suddenly behaving erratically: So, from about two months back, my mouse began behaving erratically, and i'm thinking it might be a Windows problem, going from what i've seen in other threads here.For reference:-The mouse will double-click and sometimes even triple-click frequently, and selecting text...
  4. Mouse/Windows Explorer Behaving Erratically

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse/Windows Explorer Behaving Erratically: I am about to go crazy with mouse issues. The problems are single clicks randomly trigger double clicks which sometimes causes windows explorer to momentarily freeze for a few seconds until it rights itself. Also occasionally a mouse click and the release will drag content as...
  5. Windows 10 slowdown after a day or two of uptime

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 slowdown after a day or two of uptime: I built a PC about a year ago and this has been an issue since making it. I created another PC before without this issue. When I first start my computer, everything works smoothly. The most noticeable difference in performance is dragging any application. It performs...
  6. touchpad randomly behaves erratic or not at all.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    touchpad randomly behaves erratic or not at all.: sometimes, particularly when I wake up my computer from sleep, the touchpad will not work. the cursor won't even be on the screen. for the longest time I thought maybe my laptop was freezing up, but then I figured out I could still use the keyboard. I then experimented and...
  7. Windows 10 won't auto lock screen after a few days of uptime

Windows 10 won't auto lock screen after a few days of uptime: The auto locking works fine for a couple of days after a fresh reboot or start. However, after a few days, Windows will stop locking the screen automatically. Searching on google gives useless results about how to set lock screen timeouts or links to the Microsoft Answers...
  8. 25 (day?) uptime upon starting. Is this normal?

25 (day?) uptime upon starting. Is this normal?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/bubbshalub [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g1e5qh/25_day_uptime_upon_starting_is_this_normal/
  9. Monitor Switches on/off 1/second after 25 days Uptime in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitor Switches on/off 1/second after 25 days Uptime in Windows 10: Why is it that every 25 days, Windows cycles my monitor on and off once per second when the monitor saver timeout is reached? Task manager shows corresponding 100% CPU spikes once per second during the monitor sleep period in which this is happening. When I 'wake' the...
  10. Mouse behaves erratically after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Mouse behaves erratically after update: After the last update my mouse behaves erratically. It also generates error sound when I am playing 3D games. I did a clean reinstall of video card driver, plugged the mouse in another USB port and reinstalled mouse drivers. I use Basic Logitech USB mouse and Nvidia Geforce...