Windows 10: Windows 10 starts using 100% of my CPU when idle

Discus and support Windows 10 starts using 100% of my CPU when idle in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [IMG] submitted by /u/eratoz [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gtz1mw/windows_10_starts_using_100_of_my_cpu_when_idle/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/eratoz, May 31, 2020.

1. /u/eratoz Win User

Windows 10 starts using 100% of my CPU when idle

/u/eratoz, May 31, 2020

2. CPU Usage 100% and idle process is 100%

My CPU usage shows permanently 100% in task manager (in "Processes" tab) even my system idle process (in "Details" tab) is almost 100% and the CPU runs hot - fan is permanently on - CPU speed (in "Performance" tab) is always a bit above maximum speed!!!
    McAfee doen't show any virus problem. HP Spectre.

OttoFluder, May 31, 2020
  3. System Idle Process CPU Allocation?

Hi,

I am Sumit, an Independent advisor and a Microsoft MVP here to help.

System Idle Process, as the name suggests is a process that indicates CPU is idle and is not being used, aka is at rest. This is done to totalize CPU usage to 100 between the processes.

So you do not have to worry about anything.

Sumit Dhiman2, May 31, 2020
  4. Djole123 Win User

Laptop idles at 70-100%

It's not the disk, it's the CPU that idles like that.

The only ''fix'' is to force the CPU to 50% max in advanced power settings, but that's kind of pointless as I'm leaving half of my CPU's potential unused.

Djole123, May 31, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 starts using 100% of my CPU when idle - Similar Threads - starts using 100%

2. My cpu is running at 100% when idle.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My cpu is running at 100% when idle.: When i don't use my pc for 5-10 minutes, the cpu jumps to 100% and the fan starts going crazy, but right after i move my mouse the cpu goes back to 1%.It seems that when i leave task manager open this doesn't happen. Also now my pc won't turn off when i put it in sleep mode,...
  3. My cpu is running at 100% when idle.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My cpu is running at 100% when idle.: When i don't use my pc for 5-10 minutes, the cpu jumps to 100% and the fan starts going crazy, but right after i move my mouse the cpu goes back to 1%.It seems that when i leave task manager open this doesn't happen. Also now my pc won't turn off when i put it in sleep mode,...
  4. My cpu is running at 100% when idle.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Chrome using full CPU when idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chrome using full CPU when idle: When I start my laptop, my laptop fans were running too fast so I checked the task manager and found that chrome is using 80% ~ 100% CPU even when I didn't open chrome. This is happening almost every time. I always have to open the task manager and end task for chrome.I don't...
  6. Chrome using full CPU when idle

Chrome using full CPU when idle: When I start my laptop, my laptop fans were running too fast so I checked the task manager and found that chrome is using 80% ~ 100% CPU even when I didn't open chrome. This is happening almost every time. I always have to open the task manager and end task for chrome.I don't...
  7. Windows 11 Upgrade - 100% CPU at idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Upgrade - 100% CPU at idle: Hello,Recently upgraded my PC from windows 10 to 11. I have an MSI x570 motherboard with latest BIOS, 3900x with latest chipset drivers. My CPU usage is pegged at 100% constantly. I've tried adjusting power plans, updating all drivers, etc. Often it is WMI Provider Host using...
  8. Windows 11 Upgrade - 100% CPU at idle

Windows 11 Upgrade - 100% CPU at idle: Hello,Recently upgraded my PC from windows 10 to 11. I have an MSI x570 motherboard with latest BIOS, 3900x with latest chipset drivers. My CPU usage is pegged at 100% constantly. I've tried adjusting power plans, updating all drivers, etc. Often it is WMI Provider Host using...
  9. CPU goes to 100% even when idle

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CPU goes to 100% even when idle: Windows 10 Pro, i7 6th gen, 16 gigs of ram running on a Dell latitude 7470 machine. The processor goes to a 100 quite often and makes the fan run at full speed. As soon I open the task manager, the percentage comes down and the fan turns itself off. Any solution will help....
  10. Avast Using 100% CPU at Idle

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Avast Using 100% CPU at Idle: Yesterday, I decided to install Avast on my computer. I turned it on this this morning and, noticed my Core i5 5200U CPU was unusable (On YouTube videos would randomly freeze and over 3/4 of the frames were being dropped). I opened task manager and saw that my CPU was pinned...