Windows 10: Windows 10 Still Requires Password When Logging In

Discus and support Windows 10 Still Requires Password When Logging In in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello, I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and the first thing I'm trying to do is disable the user login on startup. I followed the guide by going into... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by dowon, Aug 17, 2015.

1. dowon Win User

Windows 10 Still Requires Password When Logging In

Hello, I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and the first thing I'm trying to do is disable the user login on startup. I followed the guide by going into the User Accounts window and unchecking "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."

Windows 10 Still Requires Password When Logging In [​IMG]

I applied, restarted my computer, but at the login screen it automatically attempts to login into a guest account. As far as I can tell, the only account that I have on my computer is my actual Microsoft account.

What could be the problem here? I have used this method numerous times for previous Window versions but it seems like only Windows 10 has a problem.

Thank you.

:)

dowon, Aug 17, 2015
  2. johnes39 Win User

Assined User Folder names

Windows 10

Have three User accounts all password protected:

a. Local account

b. Local administrator account

c. Microsoft account

Each account has a separate folder created under C:\Users\ to store current logged in user files.

What is the rationale for assigning the names of these folders?

A puzzle:

When logged into the Local account a. then only User/folder c. requires a password. Why does User/folder b. not require a password?

When logged into the Local administrator account b. then both User/a. and User/c. folders require passwords, as expected .

When logged into the Microsoft account c. then both User/a. and User/b. folders require passwords, as expected.

Thanks...

johnes39, Aug 17, 2015
  3. Windows 10 login password reset

Thank you for your reply.

This still does not work as it is the Windows sign in password that is required when you first turn the PC on. The reset requires a external memory drive/stick to have had the reset protocol set up on it.

However this has not been done so when the PC is powered up it takes you to the log in/lock screen. It will not give access to the administrator options as it wants the log in password to unlock the PC first.

This password is not for Windows Live, Email or any application - it is to unlock the PC itself.

Have Microsoft really put a PC lock system in place on Windows 10 that, if the user does not create the "reset disk" and then forgets the password, the computer is rendered useless?

Thanks

Julian

julian9477, Aug 17, 2015
  4. bobkn Win User

Just a guess, but...

I think that you need to set WIn10 up to log in to a local account, rather than a Microsoft account. It would make sense to not permit a login to an MS account without a password, because you'd have access to more than the local PC.

bobkn, Aug 17, 2015
  5. Do you have any accounts under the following?

Windows 10 Still Requires Password When Logging In [​IMG]

Settings -> Accounts -> Family & other users

fracking4oil, Aug 17, 2015
  6. bro67 Win User
    It only works with local accounts now, not Live accounts.

bro67, Aug 17, 2015
  7. I kept having this problem until -- d'oh -- I realized there's more to it than just unchecking that box. When you hit "apply" you're asked to enter your login screen password. Twice. When I did that the problem went away. When I look quick at login, though, I see Windows is still going through the login sequence. It just seems to be entering the password itself.

Bill Anderson, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Still Requires Password When Logging In - Similar Threads - Still Requires Password

2. Old Email and Password required when logging into windows

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Old Email and Password required when logging into windows: Hello,My computer is asking for an old email password when logging into the computer. I no longer use this email and need to get into the account to see all of my files because this is an administrator account. I would really like to get into this computer so that I can see...
  3. Old Email and Password required when logging into windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old Email and Password required when logging into windows: Hello,My computer is asking for an old email password when logging into the computer. I no longer use this email and need to get into the account to see all of my files because this is an administrator account. I would really like to get into this computer so that I can see...
  4. Old Email and Password required when logging into windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Local account still requires password

in Windows 10 Support
    Local account still requires password: I set up my pc using a local account not a Microsoft account. I then ran netplwiz and unticked "users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". This having been done, it generally boots up without the need for a password; however, on a regular basis it will...
  6. Pin, Password Required to log on

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Pin, Password Required to log on: I have the requirement for password or pin disabled but everytime I log in I have to put in one or the other. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I have been unable to find anyone who has addressed this issue online....
  7. remove log on password requirements.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    remove log on password requirements.: Recently built a new PC all was fine. I was booting and using my PC daily and no password was ever required. I never entered any password for logging into to windows. For some reason I got on internet one day and was searching for some info on Microsoft's webpage and had to...
  8. Log in requires password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Log in requires password: Since a recent update the PC now requires a password to log in. I have tried Windows Key - netplwiz and unchecked "users must use password...." There are no other users shown in the listing. I use my Windows account as my log in which is also the administrator...
  9. Why log in password not required

Why log in password not required: I do not require a login password on my Win10, but when I look at my User Accounts I see the box checked that says User must use a password. How can this be? [img] I upgraded from Win7 to Win10 and did not use a password in Win7. How did I get from there to here? 62374
  10. Password required to log on pc

Password required to log on pc: Hi I have been using windows 10 for twelve months and have subscribed to automatic updates. I use outlook.com for emails and the windows 10/ outlook calendar which is also accesible on my iPhone. Just recently, when starting up my PC, I have a new start up screen that...