Windows 10: Windows 10 stops critical update at 46% of install process - 1903

Discus and support Windows 10 stops critical update at 46% of install process - 1903 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've been trying to update my computer with the 1903 Windows 10 update per the critical update process. I see in the Updates section - it shows the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Eric Levinson, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Windows 10 stops critical update at 46% of install process - 1903

I've been trying to update my computer with the 1903 Windows 10 update per the critical update process.

I see in the Updates section - it shows the upgrade has downloaded 100% but it is stuck at 46% Installing for the last 8 hours.

I read all sorts of articles online about things to try - everything from system file checker to registry changes - none of them worked and also they were irrelevant.

I finally figured out on my own how to resolve this - and it is more simple than you think.

I logged out (yes - when you log out updates still continue in the background).

I logged back in and went back to the critical update section - and VIola - not only did it go to 100% but magically within 30 seconds all other updates that were waiting for this one completed as well.

I believe MS needs to do way more work on this piece - critical updates are not really critical if the installer can't install them because files are locked for update.

:)

Eric Levinson, Jun 18, 2019
  2. R-T-B Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

That doesn't stop windows update from grabbing them on next run, at least it didn't back in the RTM days. It simply stops a secondary process from installing them immediately.

R-T-B, Jun 18, 2019
  3. BSOD - Critical Process Died

Hi Tony,

The blue screen error with a stop code 'Critical Process Died' that you encountered can be caused by a recent update, device drivers that got corrupted or system files that got corrupted. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions below:

• What changes were made or what updates were installed prior to the issue occurring?
    • Did you mean to say that you ran your device in safe mode when you said that you booted the device with only Microsoft Processes running?
    • Which version and build of Windows 10 is installed on your device?

As an initial recommendation, we suggest that you follow the steps on this
    link
    to run the driver verifier. Driver verifier is an inbuilt tool in the Windows operating system, which helps you to test the drivers which may be corrupted. These corrupted drivers may contribute as to why you're getting a "Blue Screen of Death" (BSOD)
    or stop errors.

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Jun 18, 2019
  4. RCoon Win User

Windows 10 stops critical update at 46% of install process - 1903

Windows 10 Tweaks

How to stop Windows 10 from automatically installing new and updated drivers constantly (particularly for GPU users with stable drivers)

• Right click "My Computer"
    • Click "Properties"
    • Click on "Hardware" tab
    • Click "Device Installation Settings"
    • Tick the "No, let me choose what to do"
    • Tick "Never install driver software from Windows Update"

RCoon, Jun 18, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 stops critical update at 46% of install process - 1903

1. Windows 10 stops critical update at 46% of install process - 1903 - Similar Threads - stops critical update

2. Windows 10 stop code critical process died

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 stop code critical process died: I was working on my PC when I crashed suddenly with a solid black screen....i restarted it and then it wasn't loading passed the loading screen with a window icon and dots moving in circle as the screen goes black again and the keyboard and mouse wont respond....i booted my...
  3. Windows 10 stop code critical process died

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 stop code critical process died: I was working on my PC when I crashed suddenly with a solid black screen....i restarted it and then it wasn't loading passed the loading screen with a window icon and dots moving in circle as the screen goes black again and the keyboard and mouse wont respond....i booted my...
  4. Windows 10 stopped booting critical process died

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 stopped booting critical process died: Hey all,Looking for some help from forum members. All of a sudden my windows 10 pro stopped booting and failing BSOD with 'critical process died'.I tried several things to recover to no avail:- system restore it shows 2 restore points, but just says that it fails to restore-...
  5. Windows 10 stopped booting critical process died

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 stopped booting critical process died: Hey all,Looking for some help from forum members. All of a sudden my windows 10 pro stopped booting and failing BSOD with 'critical process died'.I tried several things to recover to no avail:- system restore it shows 2 restore points, but just says that it fails to restore-...
  6. Windows 10 stopped booting critical process died

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Critical process died after installing updates on windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Critical process died after installing updates on windows 10: Hello. I have a samsung notebook 9 pro. I onced changed to linux theb switched back to windows. After installing windows i have bee using it nicely. One day i updated it and then it brought critical procesz died. I fornated and installed windows again and after updating it...
  8. Critical process stop bsod

Critical process stop bsod: Hi I have a critical process stop bsod, computer won't boot i have tried every way of getting system to boot safe mode, reset etc. I will have to re-image question is laptop came with Windows 10 how do I download O/S without activation key? This happened after a windows...
  9. Windows 10 Stop Code Critical Processes Failed

Windows 10 Stop Code Critical Processes Failed: Hello, my computer was working fine then i saw an update for iTunes on my Windows 10. Once I started this update is when my laptop began to crash and cause issues for the next two hours. I got the code 0xc00000f and was not able to put my laptop into safe mode. As of this...
  10. Windows 10 BSOD: critical process stopped

Windows 10 BSOD: critical process stopped: Hi everyone, I have a BSOD, critical process stopped, it happened a few weeks ago, I think after Windows Update, updated my video drivers or Microsoft Office 2013 those were the only things that updates on that day. After that it started to crash usually 30 mins after boot...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 setup stuck at 46%

2. windows 10 update stuck at 46%

3. windows 10 upgrade stuck at 46%

4. windows 10 upgrade stops at 46%,
  5. windows 10 checking for updates 46%,
  6. windows 10 update stopping at 46%,
  7. windows 10 update stops at 46%,
  8. window 10 1903 stuck at 46%,
  9. windows update stops at 46:?,
  10. checking for updates 46%,
  11. w10 installation stops at 46%,