Windows 10: Windows 10 stops responding to input devices

Discus and support Windows 10 stops responding to input devices in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am using windows insider preview build 18908-rs_prerelease 190524-1858. After changing between programs or opening a browser window, my system stops... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JimHall7, Jun 24, 2019.

1. JimHall7 Win User

Windows 10 stops responding to input devices

I am using windows insider preview build 18908-rs_prerelease 190524-1858. After changing between programs or opening a browser window, my system stops responding to mouse clicks, although mouse cursor is still movable and stops responding to keyboard commands. I have updated drivers for AMD FX-9590 and Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5R5 as well as windows update, I still have the same issues. After reinstalling Windows 10 Pro from my licensed USB I still have these issues.

At this point I am at a loss as to what can be causing this problem. I have also went as far as diagnosing my memory to find any issues.

:)

JimHall7, Jun 24, 2019
  2. fdmillion Win User

Windows 10 stops responding to HID input devices

Bear with me, because I've done some of my own troubleshooting to no avail.

My workstation runs Windows 1607.14393 with all current updates. The machine is a Dell Precision T5600 desktop with dual E5-2620 CPUs and 48GB of RAM.

The symptom: After a random period of time (a few days on average), either the keyboard or the mouse on the system will stop responding. The machine will not accept any input from the affected device. It can be any HID device and it is only one device at a time - I have deliberately left two keyboards and two mice connected and when the problem occurs, one of the four devices stops working but the other three remain active.

When the device stops responding, unplugging and replugging any HID device also causes it to stop responding. For example, if I have two of each device connected and one mouse stops responding, disconnecting the other mouse and reconnecting it causes that mouse to stop responding. No hardware insert or disconnect sounds are played.

In Device Manager, when this occurs, there are several HID "consumer control devices" with exclamation points on them. All of them have an error message reading "No drivers are installed for this device." When looking at the USB VID/PID of the devices with errors, they are always those of the device(s) which have either stopped responding or were disconnected and reconnected. Obviously when the HID stack is functioning, these same devices appear in Device Manager but do not have any errors associated with them.

I tried to uninstall the devices thinking perhaps this would kick Windows into resetting the devices after a disconnect/reconnect. However, the "removing device" dialog stays on screen indefinitely and never concludes. I have waited over a half hour.

In either case, as soon as the HID devices start misbehaving, it is no longer possible to reboot the machine. The machine will hang at the Restarting screen with the spinning circles. I have left it here for over an hour.

No events whatsoever appear in any of the event logs. I have accessed the logs while a device had failed, and also after a reboot, and saw nothing at all appearing.

The only remediation I have is to force-reboot the machine by physically powering it off.

This has been going on for about 2 weeks now. The problem even caused a hang on the restarting screen due to an automatic update happening while I was away from the machine. The update did seem to finish successfully after I hard-rebooted the machine.

Does anyone have any advice on further diagnostic steps I can take to figure out the problem? Reinstalling the OS would be extremely tedious at this point given that I have some licensed applications which would require me to contact vendors and "explain myself", as well as a lot of configuration customizations which would take a long time to repeat.

fdmillion, Jun 24, 2019
  3. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Jun 24, 2019
  4. Mussels Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Jun 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 stops responding to input devices - Similar Threads - stops responding input

2. Windows stopped responding to almost every input

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows stopped responding to almost every input: The device froze, and after I restarted it, nothing but the file explorer searching for any files just prompts the loading icon, but yields no results which is attached to the task bar is being executed/ will run/ openPressing the physical Windows button won’t open the menu,...
  3. Windows stopped responding to almost every input

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows stopped responding to almost every input: The device froze, and after I restarted it, nothing but the file explorer searching for any files just prompts the loading icon, but yields no results which is attached to the task bar is being executed/ will run/ openPressing the physical Windows button won’t open the menu,...
  4. ASUS Touchpad stopped responding to input

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ASUS Touchpad stopped responding to input: I have an ASUS TUF F15 gaming laptop running WIN11. 64-bit 10.0, build 22621. Recently, the touchpad stopped working entirely.I have checked whether disabled on this keyboard, FN-F9.According to Device Manager>Human Interface Devices>ASUS Precision Touchpad>Properties: I...
  5. ASUS Touchpad stopped responding to input

ASUS Touchpad stopped responding to input: I have an ASUS TUF F15 gaming laptop running WIN11. 64-bit 10.0, build 22621. Recently, the touchpad stopped working entirely.I have checked whether disabled on this keyboard, FN-F9.According to Device Manager>Human Interface Devices>ASUS Precision Touchpad>Properties: I...
  6. ASUS Touchpad stopped responding to input

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Input device stop working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Input device stop working: Hello.I've got a new computer not to long ago, however I am encountering a problem with it. While watching YouTube video's the video would buffer and then all the input devices on my computer would stop working including my mouse, keyboard, headphone, etc. It can be fixed by...
  8. Input device stop working

Input device stop working: Hello.I've got a new computer not to long ago, however I am encountering a problem with it. While watching YouTube video's the video would buffer and then all the input devices on my computer would stop working including my mouse, keyboard, headphone, etc. It can be fixed by...
  9. Windows 10 Stops Recieving Input From ASIO Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Stops Recieving Input From ASIO Device: I recently upgraded my audio interface from a TASCAM iXR to a TASCAM Model 12. My DAW, Reaper, can send audio to the Model 12 and receive audio back from the Model 12 no problem, but for some reason in most Windows 10 apps like Voice Recorder, Zoom, Teams, audio goes to the...
  10. windows 10 stops responding

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows 10 stops responding: [ATTACH] So I have malwarebytes and I don't think it's a virus issue Sometimes my computer STOPS responding completely When I hover over the taskbar icons it doesn't respond and my clicks don't work (mouse/integrated trackpad) The only fix I have now is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. computer suddenly stops responding to inputs