Windows 10: Windows 10 stops working after first restart

Discus and support Windows 10 stops working after first restart in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I have tried this 3 times now and it's always the same. I am at my wits end so any help is very welcome. I do a clean install from a DVD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nkomp18, Sep 8, 2015.

1. nkomp18 Win User

Windows 10 stops working after first restart

Hi all,

I have tried this 3 times now and it's always the same. I am at my wits end so any help is very welcome.

I do a clean install from a DVD ISO and Windows 10 seems to work fine. At this point I can use the Windows for as long as I want, installing programs, customising it etc without any issues.

Then, when I try to restart or shut down, it hangs for a while and then I get the blue screen of death with the message: driver_power_state_failure and then my windows is completely broken. It goes into Automatic repair and from there all options don't work.

If I reinstall after formatting it's again the same story. I can use windows only until the first reboot.

There are no memory dump files, I already tried to find them and it doesn't create any. However, I found other log files and I can see that while I use windows it downloads around 10 updates and I suspect one of those to cause the problem when it gets applied during a restart.

Is this a known problem? I read some articles about Microsoft releasing updates earlier in August that wreck windows 10 but I thought they would have fixed those by now? I am tempted to try again but immediately disabling all automatic updates, but I'd rather find an actual solution that do that...

Any ideas are very welcome

:)

nkomp18, Sep 8, 2015
  2. nkomp18 Win User

Hi all,

I have tried this 3 times now and it's always the same. I am at my wits end so any help is very welcome.

I do a clean install from a DVD ISO and Windows 10 seems to work fine. At this point I can use the Windows for as long as I want, installing programs, customising it etc without any issues.

Then, when I try to restart or shut down, it hangs for a while and then I get the blue screen of death with the message: driver_power_state_failure and then my windows is completely broken. It goes into Automatic repair and from there all options don't work.

If I reinstall after formatting it's again the same story. I can use windows only until the first reboot.

There are no memory dump files, I already tried to find them and it doesn't create any. However, I found other log files and I can see that while I use windows it downloads around 10 updates and I suspect one of those to cause the problem when it gets applied
    during a restart.

Is this a known problem? I read some articles about Microsoft releasing updates earlier in August that wreck windows 10 but I thought they would have fixed those by now? I am tempted to try again but immediately disabling all automatic updates, but I'd rather
    find an actual solution that do that because after I put important files ontot he computer I will be unable to risk re-enabling the updates ever again...

Any ideas are very welcome

nkomp18, Sep 8, 2015
  3. nkomp18 Win User

Yes, my scenario is

Blue screen after update is installed which does not allow me to access the Desktop.

The solution is to prevent Windows Update from downloading that driver that causes the problem.

Is Microsoft thinking about perhaps REMOVING that automatic update that ruins the computer?

Is there going to be a fix at some point, or is the general idea that we keep Windows update disabled forever?

nkomp18, Sep 8, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

In your previous request, the problem was resolved. If you have installed the factory image of Windows 8 from the set of Recovery discs you made (I hope that you did). You should be able to do a Upgrade from within Windows 8.1, by using the DVD or a USB recovery, if you downloaded the image creator from Windows 10 ISO It should be the 64 bit version.

Go through the info on how to upgrade at http://www.dell.com/support/contents...s-10?ref=win10

Personally I would just call Dell and order their version of Windows 10 for your machine. If they do, it should not be that much to have them ship the Dell OEM with Drivers DVD's.

bro67, Sep 8, 2015
  5. nkomp18 Win User
    I don't have a problem installing Windows 10. They install just fine and they run just fine.

As per my post, the problem occurs after Windows 10 automatically downloads updates in the background. Restarting the machine breaks my laptop when those updates are installed.

That is my problem

nkomp18, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 stops working after first restart - Similar Threads - stops working restart

2. printer stops working in Windows 10 after restart or being idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    printer stops working in Windows 10 after restart or being idle: We have had our printer working fine, but whenever the computer is idle for a long period, or if there has been a restart, it stops working. When sending a print job, the printer wakes up, but does not print. The queue indicates the job was finished. Troubleshooter reveals no...
  3. printer stops working in Windows 10 after restart or being idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    printer stops working in Windows 10 after restart or being idle: We have had our printer working fine, but whenever the computer is idle for a long period, or if there has been a restart, it stops working. When sending a print job, the printer wakes up, but does not print. The queue indicates the job was finished. Troubleshooter reveals no...
  4. printer stops working in Windows 10 after restart or being idle

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Computer stopped working after restarting it

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer stopped working after restarting it: My windows 10 computer has this issue where I am unable to run any programs and use the windows menu on the bottom left. I’m basically unable to do anything as when I run a program my cursor will have the spinning blue circle and it will infinitely load and when I try to do...
  6. RDP first login after restart

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RDP first login after restart: Greetings, I have a home server and manage it via RDP. Sadly, this technology is pretty non-stable and every time I restart the server, I get an error when I try to log in to my server. It says, that "The number of connections to this computer is limited and all connections...
  7. Fingerprint sensor stopped working after restart

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Fingerprint sensor stopped working after restart: This happened one day on my HP ENVY Windows 10 home: I finished quarantined infected files using Malwarebytes, and it told me to restart my system. After I restarted, I had to sign in again, so I touched my finger against the fingerprint sensor. Guess what? NOTHING...
  8. Windows logo is pixelated at first boot (works fine after a restart)

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows logo is pixelated at first boot (works fine after a restart): Windows logo is pixelated when I first turn on my computer. After I restart it it's working fine [img] This is what it looks like ^ - then I restart it and it boots just fine The computer will not work if the pixelated screen is shown, the screen will turn black...
  9. Windows 10 upgrade fails after first restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 upgrade fails after first restart: So I used Upgrade Assistant tool to upgrade my Windows 10 Anniversary copy to Creators Update. As soon as copying files is done, the computer restarts as usual. But there's something uncommon, my computer did not boot and entered straight to BIOS screen. I found out that...
  10. Windows 10 stop booting after first logo...

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 stop booting after first logo...: Greetings everyone, I'm having this issue that's giving me headaches. I'm starting my computer, it gets to the first windows logo and then my screen gets black, and my Logitech wireless keyboard says it got no connection... The thing is I've been around the web to find...