Windows 10: Windows 10 storage size along with all system files and updates

Discus and support Windows 10 storage size along with all system files and updates in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been shopping around for new gaming computers and a lot of systems in my price range come with 256GB SSD drives as a primary. I will most likely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Drew1312, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Drew1312 Win User

Windows 10 storage size along with all system files and updates

I've been shopping around for new gaming computers and a lot of systems in my price range come with 256GB SSD drives as a primary. I will most likely end up getting a secondary internal 1TB SSD drive, and while I have the option of cloning the primary onto the secondary, or just reinstalling windows 10 on the new drive, I'd just prefer to have the primary as a dedicated drive for windows and system files. My question is if after several years of Windows 10 being out, if with Windows 10, all system files, add-ons, windows updates, and etc, will 256GB be satisfactory in the long run to store all necessary operating files? A friend is suggesting Windows 10 and the add-on programs alone take up 100GB. I would try and consider installing windows 10 on the larger drive, but I just don't want to get a new computer only to screw up the operating system the first day trying to do clones or installs of an operating system I know nothing about. My current PC is running Windows 7 and even on that I've never done even a back up or a reformat.

Some help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks.

:)

Drew1312, Sep 21, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 21, 2020
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Update to increase the maximum transfer size of USB storage devices in Windows 7...

This is an Microsoft Windows 7 or Server 2008 R2 update that may improve performance of USB transfers. Now they do say, "for some":
    How? Well per Microsoft:
    Now, you do need to read the Hotfix article, here > An update to increase the maximum transfer size of USB storage devices in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

Now, after you apply this hotfix, you will need to do some registry editing.
    So, back up your registry before proceeding. And, also, you do this at your own risk; as always... anything can go wrong at anytime, even in the most perfect circumstances.

This registry edit is, also, covered in the hotfix:

After you install this update, to increase the maximum transfer size of USB storage devices, follow these steps:
    ‪1.‬Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
    ‪2.‬Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    ‪3.‬HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbstor\VVVV PPPP
    ‪4.‬Click Edit, point to New, and then click DWORDValue.
    ‪5.‬Type MaximumTransferLength, and then press Enter.
    ‪6.‬Click Edit, and then click Modify.
    ‪7.‬In the Value data box, type a value to specify the maximum transfer size between 64KB and 2MB. For example, you select Decimal and type a value between 65535 (64K) and 2097120 (2M).
    ‪8.‬Exit Registry Editor.

Notes
    VVVV represents device descriptor idVendor in hexadecimal.
    PPPP represents device descriptor idProduct in hexadecimal.

To get this update, you will need to click the "View and Request Hotfix Downloads" at the top portion of the page. Follow the instructions, like, fill out the info and check the files you want to download. They will send an email to with the links.

Happy updating and may it improve your USB storage device's performance. *Smile Windows 10 storage size along with all system files and updates :)

95Viper, Sep 21, 2020
  4. Windows 10 storage size along with all system files and updates

Windows 10 forced download

To stop the download, uninstall the KB3035583 update (under "Control Panel > Windows Update > Installed Updates").

To get rid of the C:\$Windows.~BT folder:
    • Right-click on your C: drive.
    • Select "Properties".
    • Click on [ Disk Cleanup ]
    • After the initial scan: If you have a [ Clean up system files ] button, click it and wait for the second scan to finish.
    • Scroll down the list and look for "Temporary Windows installation files" (its size should be in the gigabytes range); check the box.
    • Click on [ OK ] to start the clean-up.

Static~Charge, Sep 21, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 storage size along with all system files and updates

1. Windows 10 storage size along with all system files and updates - Similar Threads - storage size along

2. Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage: Hello, Is there anyway to reduce the System Files and Reserved storage size? My 256 GB SSD drive is currently full. I checked my storage settings, and it turns out System & Reserved storage is taking up a big chunk of it - maybe larger than it should. I've tried running the...
  3. Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage: Hello, Is there anyway to reduce the System Files and Reserved storage size? My 256 GB SSD drive is currently full. I checked my storage settings, and it turns out System & Reserved storage is taking up a big chunk of it - maybe larger than it should. I've tried running the...
  4. Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Storage Size

Storage Size: My storage space only has a total of 120 GB. Does my computer just have low storage or is something going on? Even a Windows 7 Computer has 900 GB. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-size/5d0edb6e-646d-4dd8-9867-440eb864238e
  6. Windows 10 - Storage Settings > System > Storage > Delete Temporary Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 - Storage Settings > System > Storage > Delete Temporary Files: Hi Microsoft and Community, In Windows 10 there is a new feature called Storage Sense and in those settings you have a check mark for deleting the Temporary Files. When this is checked, it will work on my machine and delete for example the Recycle Bin. There is a user...
  7. Storage size of Windows 10 Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Storage size of Windows 10 Desktop: Hello, question of a buddy : why cannot I copy a 260 Gb file to the desktop ? In my understanding there is no point in copying a file to the desktop, why would someone want this ......
  8. File sizes not showing in settings storage.

File sizes not showing in settings storage.: I am going through my storage to see whats taking up all the room so I can delete some stuff and I keep coming across games that don't have a size next to them. Most of these are from games on Steam and they used to show how much space they took up. Is this a serious issue or...
  9. Check Reserved Storage Size for Windows Update in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Check Reserved Storage Size for Windows Update in Windows 10: How to: Check Reserved Storage Size for Windows Update in Windows 10 How to Check Reserved Storage Size for Windows Update in Windows 10 A new build 18298 or newer. Starting with the next major update Microsoft is making a few changes to how Windows 10 manages disk...
  10. Change System Protection Max Storage Size for Drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change System Protection Max Storage Size for Drive in Windows 10: How to: Change System Protection Max Storage Size for Drive in Windows 10 [img] Information system restore that takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. This can be handy if your PC isn't working well and you recently installed an...