Windows 10: Windows 10 Storage Spaces Mirrored VirtualDisk crashed after single HDD failure

Discus and support Windows 10 Storage Spaces Mirrored VirtualDisk crashed after single HDD failure in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have suffered yet another fatal Storage Spaces crash after 1 of my 8 HDDs failed. I have a mirrored VirtualDisk which is 1TB and it become detached,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GeorgeTaus, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Storage Spaces Mirrored VirtualDisk crashed after single HDD failure

I have suffered yet another fatal Storage Spaces crash after 1 of my 8 HDDs failed. I have a mirrored VirtualDisk which is 1TB and it become detached, lost communication with the failed PhysicalDisk HDD. I have 3 other mirrored VirtualDisks which are still working fine. I cannot connect the unhealthy VirtualDisk and cannot repair the VirtualDisk. Windows 10 SS GUI will not automatically fix this issue, and Powershell commands have not worked. The only difference between the failed VirtualDisk and those that are still running is that the failed VirtualDisk was evidently at almost 100% full, whereas the other VirtualDisks were about 60%. The PhysicalDisk that failed is Lost Communication. Evidently, SS tried to remove data off the HDD which started at about 60% usage and was able to move data off to about 11% usage before the drive totally died.

I have added 2 additional HDDs so I now have 13 TB used out of 30 TB pool. I don't understand how a mirrored VirtualDisk in a pool of 8 HDDs can be taken offline and crash from a single HDD failure. In theory, should there not be a second, complete copy of every file in the mirrored VirtualDisk?

If anyone has any idea of how to work around this failed HDD and get my VirtualDisk back online, at least long enough to move the files, I would be very thankful. Again, the failed PhysicalDisk is dead, not just unhealthy. The VirtualDisk is detached, unhealthy, but I cannot get it back online.

:)

GeorgeTaus, Aug 4, 2019
  2. zerobomb Win User

Storage Spaces full... Irreparably

I have a mirrored ReFS storage space, in which I am using 2.67TB of the available 4.10TB capacity. (i.e. I've got about 1.3 GB of stuff, but it's mirrored)

476GB drive (SSD, 99.6% used, retired)

931GB drive (HDD, 0.08% used, OK)

931GB drive (HDD, 96.3% used, OK)

1.81TB drive (HDD, 73.6% used, OK)

Windows has decided that something is full, and no longer allows me to access any of the files in the storage space. Attempting to open the drive in Explorer results in an error "S:\ is not accessible.
    There is not enough space on the disk"

In the event viewer, I find that ReFSv1 is throwing an error when trying to mount the volume at boot time:

"Volume is formatted as ReFS but ReFS is unable to mount it; ReFS encountered status An operation failed because the disk was full. If this is a thinly provisioned volume the physical storage backing this
    volume has been exhausted."

Failure reason: 0xc000007f

I have attempted Repair-VirtualDisk, but Get-StorageJob shows that the repair process is suspended at 0%.

Question: How do I either fix this, or recover the information from the storage pool?

zerobomb, Aug 4, 2019
  3. StephenQX Win User
    Windows 10 Storage Spaces Improvements?

Here is an example where a 3-way mirror space named VDiskMirrorPS is created on an existing storage pool named Pool01

Optimizing Windows Server 2012 storage management via PowerShell for both performance and resiliency

New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName Pool01 -ResiliencySettingName Mirror -Size 200GB

-FriendlyName VDiskMirrorPS -ProvisioningType Fixed -NumberOfDataCopies 3 -NumberOfColumns 3

For a 12 column dual parity space his command would be:

New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName Pool01 -ResiliencySettingName Parity
    -Size 200GB

-FriendlyName
    MyNewParitySpace -ProvisioningType Fixed -NumberOfDataCopies 2 -NumberOfColumns 12

If you are unfamiliar with managing storage spaces via PowerShell I suggest you create some virtual disks (Disk Management > Create VHD) of sizes maybe 20GB-50GB and spend a long time researching and testing various dummy
    storage space configurations. It is the easiest way to understand where the overhead comes from, what column size to choose, what happens when you mix disk sizes, how much space is gained when you add a new disk to the pool, etc.

StephenQX, Aug 4, 2019
  4. fdegrove Win User

Windows 10 Storage Spaces Mirrored VirtualDisk crashed after single HDD failure

Storage Spaces Mirror 2 Drives?

Hi,

An excerpt from the link provided by lx07:

Nothing ever is but the setup as described in the quote above sure is a lot more resilient than just a basic disk.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Aug 4, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Storage Spaces Mirrored VirtualDisk crashed after single HDD failure

1. Windows 10 Storage Spaces Mirrored VirtualDisk crashed after single HDD failure - Similar Threads - Storage Spaces Mirrored

2. Storage Space Mirror

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Space Mirror: I have a two way mirror with two external harddrives and I'm wondering how to recover the files if one of them crashes. I've tried to plug one of the drives into another computer and it won't recognize it. How will I get my files if one of them fails?...
  3. Storage Space Mirror

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Space Mirror: I have a two way mirror with two external harddrives and I'm wondering how to recover the files if one of them crashes. I've tried to plug one of the drives into another computer and it won't recognize it. How will I get my files if one of them fails?...
  4. Storage Spaces and mirroring

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces and mirroring: If I have a drive that already has data on it, is it possible to setup a new Storage space and mirror that drive to it?For example; I have drive D:\ which has data on it. I want to add another drive for D to mirror to. Both drives are the same size, is this possible or will...
  5. Storage Spaces and mirroring

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces and mirroring: If I have a drive that already has data on it, is it possible to setup a new Storage space and mirror that drive to it?For example; I have drive D:\ which has data on it. I want to add another drive for D to mirror to. Both drives are the same size, is this possible or will...
  6. Storage Spaces and mirroring

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Mirrored drives in Storage Spaces

Mirrored drives in Storage Spaces: If I create a Storage Space and create mirrored drives, does Storage Spaces alert me if one drive fails, or would Windows allow me to continue using the system blindly until both drives fail?...
  8. error "No Capacity" in "Storage Spaces" with a Mirrored storage space 2 drives in mirror

error "No Capacity" in "Storage Spaces" with a Mirrored storage space 2 drives in mirror: I get an error message "No Capacity" in the Storage Spaces section of windows 10 with a mirrored storage space. The Storage Space is formatted in ReFS . Both drives are functioning put both drives in another computer . How can I repair this storage space ?...
  9. Convert single storage space to mirrored after adding 2nd drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Convert single storage space to mirrored after adding 2nd drive?: Does storage space support converting a single storage space to mirrored after adding a second drive - or would it wipe both drives and create a new virtual drive that's empty? I'm asking because I'm getting one drive first tomorrow (hopefully), then another drive a few days...
  10. Storage Spaces Break Mirror

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Spaces Break Mirror: Hello, I have two mirrored disks as D:\, and lately windows has been telling me D:\ is full though it's not. I suspect this is because there are some errors on one of the disks in the pool that is reporting imminent failure. As it stands, very frequently I can't save...