Windows 10: Windows 10 Storage usage doesn't add up - a lot of 'missing' GB in Temporary Files

Discus and support Windows 10 Storage usage doesn't add up - a lot of 'missing' GB in Temporary Files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When looking at the "Temporary Files" section of the Windows 10 settings page for Storage it reads 17.2 GB. That's a lot. Almost as if there's an old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Nigel Weber, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Windows 10 Storage usage doesn't add up - a lot of 'missing' GB in Temporary Files

When looking at the "Temporary Files" section of the Windows 10 settings page for Storage it reads 17.2 GB. That's a lot. Almost as if there's an old version of windows lurking about.

But when I click onto Temporary files and tick all the boxes, the total only adds up to a 1.08 GB. Where is there rest? What is using up all that data?

:)

Nigel Weber, Dec 25, 2018

2. Can't delete temporary files in Windows 10

Windows 10 says my temporary files have 5.16 GB of temporary files. Using this recommended method

Step 1

• Press Windows key + R
    • Type temp and click OK
    • Press Ctrl + A and click Delete
    Step 2

• Press Windows key + R
    • Type %temp% and click OK
    Step 3

• Press Windows key + R
    • Type prefetch and click OK
    the files don't get deleted and looking at the size of the files I find that I have less than 30 Mbytes of temporary files

My computer (a tablet with keyboard) has only 32 GB of storage

What do I need to do to solve this problem?

Ken and MagsMay, Dec 25, 2018
  3. Richmny Win User
    Temporary Files Storage Usage Runtime Error

I recently installed the April 2018 feature update. In Settings, Storage Usage I get a Runtime Error message when I drill into Temporary files. After I dismiss the message and the page is displayed, the folders shown don't have any where near the 14.5GB
    shown on the storage usage page.

Windows 10 Pro, Version 1803, OS Build 17134.48

Windows 10 Storage usage doesn't add up - a lot of 'missing' GB in Temporary Files c193fa9c-d0ff-4927-9384-18172c88482d?upload=true.png

Richmny, Dec 25, 2018
  4. Windows 10 Storage usage doesn't add up - a lot of 'missing' GB in Temporary Files

Windows 10 Storage Settings shows I have 67.5 GB in Temporary Files. However, after clicking on it, it only shows 77 MB of files for cleanup.

Hi,

I'm trying to clean up my hard drive space. The Windows 10 Settings under System/Storage shows 67.5 GB in Temporary Files. When I click on it, it only shows me 77 MB files for cleanup. I've already tried the following:

1. Cleaning temporary files from the Settings/System/Storage menu.
    2. I've run Disk Cleanup on my drive.
    3. I've run "Clean up system files" under Disk Cleanup.
    4. I've run CHKDSK in cmd and CHKDSK/F which freed up some space but the 67.5 GB still remains.
    Can you please let me know how to find and delete these files?

Thanks!

Saad SalmanZia, Dec 25, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Storage usage doesn't add up - a lot of 'missing' GB in Temporary Files

1. Windows 10 Storage usage doesn't add up - a lot of 'missing' GB in Temporary Files - Similar Threads - Storage usage doesn't

2. Temporary files and Apps + Games taking up 11.1 GB in storage Settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Temporary files and Apps + Games taking up 11.1 GB in storage Settings: For some reason, both my Temporary Files and the Apps and games section on my Storage settings are each taking up 5 gigabytes of storage.I've cleared my Temp and %Temp% folders,used Disk Cleanup,Defragmented my C: drive,and cleaned using Storage Space and nothing seems to...
  3. Storage usage doesn't add up

Storage usage doesn't add up: Using "View Storage on other drives" I have a drive that shows much more space being used than each individual folder shows. My drive is almost full but when I count up the GB used in the folders its like half of what the drive holds. What gives? My D: Drive adds up....
  4. Temporary Files taking up 72 GB

Temporary Files taking up 72 GB: Hey, My temp files in storage says it takes up 72GB. I can only delete 4 GB of them, how do I delete them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/temporary-files-taking-up-72-gb/3729e2d0-f5d1-4463-a224-f7ec9f65ea55
  5. My storage space doesn't add up

in Windows 10 Customization
    My storage space doesn't add up: When I look at my storage, the apps and games section says 80gb, but when I add everything up it is less. How can this be https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-storage-space-doesnt-add-up/8d1b70bd-2067-4253-9112-116671a76803
  6. temporary files storage

temporary files storage: temporary files is taking up 82GB of my storage and I want to find a way to get rid of the stuff I don't need or delete the stuff I wont use anymore. does anyone know what to do?...
  7. Storage Usage summary shown 3.62GB of Temporary Files, but removal temporary files is only...

Storage Usage summary shown 3.62GB of Temporary Files, but removal temporary files is only...: Hi all, I'm having storage run low issue, but when I check, Storage Usage summary shown 3.62GB of Temporary Files, but removal temporary files is only 14.5KB. Can anyone share how do I locate this hidden 3.62GB? I really need to delete these files to free up more space....
  8. Storage Issues: Temporary folder on Storage Usage screen shows 4.83 gb, but when I go to...

Storage Issues: Temporary folder on Storage Usage screen shows 4.83 gb, but when I go to...: Storage Issues: Temporary folder on Storage drive shows 4.83 gb, but when I go to clear it, it shows something like 25 mb. Please help in this regard. I have been having this storage issue for sometime. The drive size automatically adjusts. Once it went down to 95 mb. It then...
  9. 706 GB of Temporary Files!!!!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    706 GB of Temporary Files!!!!: Can someone please help me *Sad i just bought a new laptop and it hasn't been a month since i used it. Now, i was wondering why my OS said that i only have 155gb free but my files are not even that big. And i searched what is the problem and found out that my temporary files...
  10. 706 GB of Temporary Files!!!!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    706 GB of Temporary Files!!!!: Can someone please help me *Sad i just bought a new laptop and it hasn't been a month since i used it. Now, i was wondering why my OS said that i only have 155gb free but my files are not even that big. And i searched what is the problem and found out that my temporary files...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 storage usage temporary files

2. windows 10 temporary files gb

3. storage usage does not show all temporary files

4. storage usage show temporary files,
  5. storage usage temporary files,
  6. windows 10 storage doesnt add up,
  7. temporary files using 10gb but not showing in storage,
  8. windows sotrage shows 100gb in apps,
  9. temp file storage says 4.5gb but only,
  10. temp storage is 5 gb but doesnt display,
  11. stoarage usage windows 10 misplaced temporary files,