Windows 10: Windows 10 stubbornly starting Edge instead of Firefox

Discus and support Windows 10 stubbornly starting Edge instead of Firefox in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I'm used to starting Firefox by hitting the Windows key, typing Firefox and pressing Enter. It worked like this since years, and is quicker than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by EricBuist, Nov 3, 2019.

1. EricBuist Win User

Windows 10 stubbornly starting Edge instead of Firefox

Hi,

I'm used to starting Firefox by hitting the Windows key, typing Firefox and pressing Enter. It worked like this since years, and is quicker than searching for Firefox on the desktop, on the start menu or trying to click on an icon in the task bar. But now, each time I do this, I get Edge started instead! I then have to shut down Edge, retry, and then I get Firefox. It looks like the search is completely broken in the Start menu, because Edge doesn't contain "F" at all; typing Firefox should not, never, ever, match with Edge! It also regularly happens that starting another program by typing its name launches Edge instead, to perform an Internet search.

I searched many times about this problem and cannot find anything other than instructions to configure my default browser (already set to Firefox) or disable Bing but that doesn't work; the screenshots in such instructions are not the same on my system.

Is there any better solution than downgrading to Windows 7, whose start menu works correctly and doesn't search on the web or start Edge instead? I don't want to downgrade, as Windows 7 is end of life January 2020.

:)

EricBuist, Nov 3, 2019

2. Video Issues in Windows 10 With Firefox

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please provide the following information with us to understand the issue better.

• Is the issue occurs in Microsoft Edge?

• Let us know whether the issue is specific to online videos or it is happening with other videos present in your system too?

As the initial troubleshooting steps, I would suggest you to check all the available Windows Updates. Installation of recent Windows Updates should fix the issue.

If the issue still persists, then try updating the Display driver and check. Here is the steps:
    • Press Windows Key + R on your desktop screen to go to run command box.
    • Type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
    • In Display Adapter, expand Display Adapter, right-click , and then click
      Update.
    If the issues persists ,only with firefox then i suggest you to contact firefox support.

Please do let us know the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Nov 3, 2019
  3. Firefox does not work on start up

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall Firefox
    and check if it fixes the issue. Follow the steps below to uninstall
    Firefox:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click on Programs and Features.
    • Look for Firefox and right click on it and click on
      uninstall.
    • Reboot the computer after uninstall is complete and try to reinstall them.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Nov 3, 2019
  4. Windows 10 stubbornly starting Edge instead of Firefox

Microsoft Edge blocking Firefox

You don't really need to 'nuke' edge to install firefox.

You can get it installed and made default in 3 easy steps

1. Download the latest firefox here
    2. Start firefox - it should prompt you to set it as default - Follow what happens, and pick firefox as your default
    3. Else, Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Default Programs (use win r or paste that into explorer. Find firefox, and select "set as default"

That should make firefox your default and not fire up edge automatically.

Journeyman Geek, Nov 3, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 stubbornly starting Edge instead of Firefox

1. Windows 10 stubbornly starting Edge instead of Firefox - Similar Threads - stubbornly starting Edge

2. Windows 10 Stubbornly Refuses to Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Stubbornly Refuses to Update: Microsoft Windows 10 Won’t Update Windows 10 stopped updating in early July. I’ve posted to this form before and received some excellent advice, unfortunately, non of the suggestions worked. Here is what I tried:1. **Please try to run SFC and DISM to check for any system...
  3. Stubborn windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stubborn windows update: [IMG] Hello Any ideas on how to fix this issue? This is the 2nd time I encountered this stubborn windows update. The 1st one was the same, but I manage to get rid of it to restart a dowbload by net stop/net start method. Unfortunately, I'm still stuck in this update. It...
  4. Replace Edge with Firefox`

in Browsers and Email
    Replace Edge with Firefox`: In "Settings" there are help links but they will not open with Firefox even though it is default; only with Edge; how do resolve this? 161986
  5. Replace Edge with Firefox`

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replace Edge with Firefox`: In "Settings" there are help links but they will not open with Firefox even though it is default; only with Edge; how do resolve this? 161986
  6. Is there away to use FireFox instead of edge for when I use the search bar?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there away to use FireFox instead of edge for when I use the search bar?: I've tried edge deflector and that doesn't work. I use duckduckgo for my search engine on FireFox if that means anything submitted by /u/AndreSun06 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hkcsxt/is_there_away_to_use_firefox_instead_of_edge_for/
  7. Windows 10 Start menu recommends Edge to Firefox users

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Start menu recommends Edge to Firefox users: Windows 10 has been brimming with ads designed to persuade you into using Microsoft service or Store apps. Microsoft also advertises or suggests apps and services to users via the Windows 10’s Start menu. By default, Start menu has a “Suggested” listings for Windows Store...
  8. Stubborn windows 10 update service

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stubborn windows 10 update service: Hi! I'm a villager who totally live off of an extremely usage limited, expensive (for me) mobile data. Going to services list and checking if Windows Update is disabled is first thing to do every morning. BUT It's so stubborn, almost like sentient being inside my...
  9. Edge opens with previous page instead of start page

in Browsers and Email
    Edge opens with previous page instead of start page: Randomly, not all the time, after a reboot (or power off/on) Edge will start with the previously opened page instead of the set "home" (start) page. Is there any way to prevent this? This is what I have set. [img] 114998
  10. Windows 10 1607 - Firefox will not start

in Browsers and Email
    Windows 10 1607 - Firefox will not start: I have been unsuccessful updating two machines to Windows 10 1607. During my latest attempt Firefox would not display its browser screen. If I looked at task manager I could see firefox32* loaded. If I tried to start Firefox again, I would get another firefox32* but no...