Windows 10: windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard

Discus and support windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; What is the full model number of your computer? Have you check the Dell website to see if there is a BIOS update available? Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cocobna, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Ztruker Win User

windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard

What is the full model number of your computer? Have you check the Dell website to see if there is a BIOS update available?

Ztruker, Aug 11, 2015
  2. XweAponX Win User

This person is having the same issue, some new PCs don't have a PS-2 port. Most gaming rigs usually have at least 1 port that can be used for KB or Mouse. If the system has a PS-2 port, use a PS-2 KB and it will bypass the KB installation nightmare. The problem starts when a system only has USB inputs- If the KB driver was not detected during the OS install, it's a nightmare.

XweAponX, Aug 15, 2015
  3. cocobna Win User
    Yep- I have a Dell Inspiron with no PS2 port. What now?? I have no problem taking it somewhere for "repair", but this situation is so new I doubt they would know anything more than folks on this forum! I had planned on purchasing a new tower this year. Could I possibly transfer my old files from the frozen computer if my new one is up and running?? Never transferred files before, so I don't know what to expect!

cocobna, Aug 21, 2015
  4. Bazz Win User

Try shutting off the pc as soon as you see the windows logo by pressing the power button until it shuts off, you will need to do this 3 times then you will get the recovery environment, is your mouse or keyboard working here if so this can probably be fixed.

5. loc4ib Win User
    I have the same issue. Older HP laptop. I'm getting the login screen, but not the password screen and my mouse and keyboard do not work.

Will try the PS2 keyboard and see if that helps.

loc4ib, Aug 23, 2015
  6. cocobna Win User
    Thanks for the info. I finally decided to shell out the bucks (my computer is out of warranty)and call Dell service. We turned the computer on and off several times as was suggested, and were finally able to run diagnostics. The result? A failed hard drive!! Windows 10 crashed my system and Dell is sending me a Windows 7 disc to reinstall the old OS. In addition, I was told not to install any new OS - or even buy a new computer with a new OS- until it has been fully released and de-bugged. In hind-sight she is correct with the advice, but of course its too late now! I've learned a hard lesson about updates as well as not keeping my back up to date, as I've lost all my files!! Thanks for the memories Microsoft!

cocobna, Aug 23, 2015
  7. KACI Win User
    While I certainly understand your frustration, I don't think I agree with Dell's assessment that it's a HD failure. The fact that you can get to the login screen shows that windows is loading from your HD. The problem is more likely a driver issue, and I don't know that we can really expect MS to develop drivers for everyone. It's good that they are sending you a Win7 disk so that you can reload and at least get your system back and running. If you try this exercise again, make sure you load all the Win7 updates, as well as backing up your system and I'd even make an image. Better safe than sorry. Speaking of which, I'm sorry I couldn't give you an easier fix. *Sick

8. Joergi Win User

Should your old hard drive really be unusable now, you can still send it in to some companies who can do data recovery. This will cost you some bucks, but they often have very good results as to what they can restore.

Joergi, Aug 23, 2015
  9. KACI Win User
    Depending how important the files are you can try a couple of things before you do a complete clean install. Try a repair install from the Win7 disk and see if that will get you into safe mode. I've never tried it, but I think you can download a copy of something like Ubuntu and it will boot from a thumb drive or disk without installing it. With it you could then find the important files and copy them to a different area.

10. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Aug 24, 2015
  11. AveYo Win User
    That's so 90's.
    Use Total Commander, it's a GUI file manager with double panels, it has both x86 and x64 versions and it works under recovery mode from Vista to Windows 10 (you just need to launch the right version). Also built-in packers/unpackers, text viewer, thumbnail viewer, space checking, crc, copy/pack in background, support for plugins etc. will come in handy. I usually spam every partition/usb stick/dvd disk with it.
    [did not test the free double commander, but it should work the same]

AveYo, Aug 24, 2015
  12. Ztruker Win User
    Just how would you invoke Total Commander from a Windows 7 Recovery Console? Why would you want to when all you are trying to do is backup data?

Ztruker, Aug 25, 2015
  13. wtfwin10 Win User

holy ****ing shit i'm not the only one with this problem i just got home after working all day and i finally upgrade installed perfectly from what i saw but when i typed my pass and hit enter everything just stopped except for blinking text cursor. that pissed me off saw i did what any sane person would do smash the shit out the mouse and keyboard then the screen flashed and proceeded to restart.

PS: i have rebooted my computer to the point where i'm going to just wipe my hard drive and say no to any future windows 10 upgrades.
    specs:http://www.amazon.com/CyberpowerPC-G...r+ultra+gua880

wtfwin10, Aug 25, 2015
  14. joew Win User
    For anyone having this problem try these two things:

Boot with the keyboard connected to USB ports on the back or 'I/O plate' of the motherboard, eg the ones under the lan port or firewire port, some motherboards only allow legacy input devices at boot (ie before drivers are installed) from 'central' usb ports that are not on an internal PCI hub. Always reboot when trying a different port. Also don't use any USB hubs initially.

(this was probably mentioned earlier) ensure legacy usb devices are enabled in your BIOS. Some UEFI bios' default setup turn this off.

If all else fails look for a cheap keyboard on ebay that supports driver-less setup.

If you are reinstalling and make it to the desktop install a non windows remote software such as Teamviewer so you can configure windows with another device on your network, even an iPhone.

15. This may seem like an odd fix but it has worked for me. I end up at the windows screen but have no mouse or keyboard access as well. After having multiple attempts by some very skilled people i found a way to correct the issue that appears to be temporary. I power up and if no mouse and key board i unplug the power from the PC. When i power back up it takes a bit longer but i have a mouse and keyboard again. I am going to wait and see if it continues or if this resolved it. I may just go back to 7 and call this experiment over.

silversurfer, Sep 9, 2015
Thema:

1. windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard - Similar Threads - stuck login screen

2. Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond: my desktop PC had been restarted after an normal update for my AMD program. Now my PC is stuck on the login screen and the mouse and keyboard will not respond. I cannot get into windows at all, I cannot access anything on the login screen. I tried rebooting, it did not fix...
  3. Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond: my desktop PC had been restarted after an normal update for my AMD program. Now my PC is stuck on the login screen and the mouse and keyboard will not respond. I cannot get into windows at all, I cannot access anything on the login screen. I tried rebooting, it did not fix...
  4. Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Mouse and Keyboard is not working in Windows 10 login screen.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse and Keyboard is not working in Windows 10 login screen.: After the latest windows 10 update my keyboard and mouse are no longer working. This makes me unable to type in my password at the windows login screen. When I boot to BIOS the mouse and keyboard are working, and if I boot to the windows troubleshoot screen they work as well....
  6. Mouse and Keyboard is not working in Windows 10 login screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse and Keyboard is not working in Windows 10 login screen.: After the latest windows 10 update my keyboard and mouse are no longer working. This makes me unable to type in my password at the windows login screen. When I boot to BIOS the mouse and keyboard are working, and if I boot to the windows troubleshoot screen they work as well....
  7. On screen keyboard Stuck in Login Screen.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    On screen keyboard Stuck in Login Screen.: Hey i want to know how to remove on screen keyboard ? I already unchecked the on screen keyboard option from ease to access center.Please Help me.It only appears in log in screen....
  8. On screen keyboard Stuck in Login Screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    On screen keyboard Stuck in Login Screen.: Hey i want to know how to remove on screen keyboard ? I already unchecked the on screen keyboard option from ease to access center.Please Help me.It only appears in log in screen....
  9. On screen keyboard Stuck in Login Screen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  10. Stuck on Windows screen, no mouse or keyboard

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck on Windows screen, no mouse or keyboard: So it's on my computer and it kept kicking me off of Google Chrome and a message would appear stating to close apps, restart, shut down, etc.. It was like a drop down menu. it was almost like my keyboard was pressing several keys at a time without me touching it. I hit cancel...