Windows 10: windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard

Discus and support windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; There is only one usb 3.0 connector and it has 20 pins. The other 3x9 pins are usb 2.0 - use one of those. So if you have a usb 3.0 backplate (20pin)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cocobna, Aug 2, 2015.

1. AveYo Win User

windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard

There is only one usb 3.0 connector and it has 20 pins. The other 3x9 pins are usb 2.0 - use one of those.
    So if you have a usb 3.0 backplate (20pin) - is not the right one.
    You need a backplate like in the picture of your manual, with one or more ports usb 2.0 (each 9-pin) - you should borrow such plate from another PC, maybe ask another fellow octogenarian

AveYo, Nov 10, 2015
  2. Padredw Win User

This is an update of a very dynamic situation:

I am running Windows 7 based on an SSD drive that I had kept. Everything is working. I am now in the process of downloading all the Windows Updates that have occurred since that drive was active.

Since I have some work that needs to be done right away. I am going to put the Windows 10 aside. I simply cannot keep trying all the possibilities as I have been doing for three days.

The best possibility still seems to be the PS2 to PCIE card slot. If anyone has any experience about that I would appreciate hearing about it--especially whether the mouse and/or keyboard will work directly from that input. If they will not, then I know I will not be able to download and update drivers (which I think is the real problem.)

Thanks again to all. -- Are there any other octogenarians out there? Have my doubts. But I am a true one.

Padredw, Nov 10, 2015
  3. KACI Win User
    My hats off to you. Most people far younger would have given up long ago. Let me see if I have this right. You have two SSDs, one with 7 and one with 10? If I understand that correctly, I would probably try, cloning the ssd with 7 to the one with 10. Boot from that and it should work just like the original. I'd then try to upgrade that ssd again using the media creation tool. Make sure the keyboard and mouse are the only things plugged in and your antivirus is turned off. You might even want to wait a few days until MS releases their next major update. That might address some of the problems as well.

4. Padredw Win User

Thanks, KACI, what I am doing is using the older SSD which has Windows 7 as OS. Fortunately, I just unplugged it when I installed a newer and larger SSD. I am booted up on that older SSD. It seems to be working fine. Just now it is installing 88 Windows 7 updates which I initiated. The good news is that I think I can continue to use this setup while I seek some hardware. The adapter I ordered from Amazon with overnight (Prime) is only a USB adapter. I haven't really tried it, but I don't see how mouse and keyboard could work from the USBs, all of which are blocked to such input directly. Anyway the PS2 to PCIE on the motherboard -- at least all I have so far located has to ship from China. It is not expensive, so I think I will order it but can't expect to receive it until mid December. In the meanwhile, I think I keep trying to work in Windows 7 from my older SSD. -- And just to be clear, I have unplugged the SSD with Windows 10. I consider myself fortunate, indeed, to have that older SSD and that I had not even attempted to use it.

And thanks for your concern.

To anyone out there. I will keep monitoring this thread and will make note of any suggestions, but I'm going to quite worrying as I have for the past three days. I'm too old for that.*Confused

Padredw, Nov 10, 2015
  5. cwpeacock Win User
    New systems do not have a ps2 port to plug in a legacy mouse or keyboard. What then?

cwpeacock, Dec 7, 2015
  6. Has this problem been figured out yet for people without a PS2 mouse or port to use?

After fixing other issues, I finally got windows 10 to install / upgrade and made it to the first screen only to find I had no mouse or keyboard.

Tried an older usb mouse and still a no go. Mouse works in bios and even in the windows 10 repair screens. Finally had to reload my image backup of windows 7. Going to have to stay with windows 7 until someone figures this out.

Dalumberjack03, Dec 13, 2015
  7. cwpeacock Win User
    I ended up rolling system back as well.

DrP

cwpeacock, Dec 13, 2015
  8. VMD
    vmd Win User

I have similar issue. Just the start up, log in screen, won't open anything after that. I got a virus last year. It installed windows 7 on a preinstalled windows 8 PC. I took to Geek Squad who absolutely messed up my PC. Put in three new mother boards. Who does that? Two new fans (they installed wrong drivers for MB and did something to the fan). Finally in exasperation called HP who "STANDS BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS" and after being shipped across the US this time total 12 times, they rebuilt me a PC, preinstalled with Win10. Want to know what? It has the same thing "backup to win7". I have NO idea what is going on here. My original PC had never said or referenced Win7, ever. Nothing had a date earlier than 07/30/2013 - the preinstalled Win8. I bought the Pro, the 8.1 and then got the 10 but it took some manipulating. Now with the new, preinstalled win10, it says "backup your win7". I can't believe it. Why would this be??? I'm at this point. I could go on but won't. I want to follow your thread and see if anyone comes up with a solution. I needed a repair disk, a boot disk and wanted to back up my PC but it defaults to Win 7. So (*Confused?)Sure appreciate your notes though. The wheel in the hub goes round and round, squeak squeak squeak.

9. So did everyone in this thread that had this issue go buy a PS2 mouse / keyboard?

Surprised no one came back and chimed in if they found a solution

Dalumberjack03, Dec 21, 2015
  10. Mirkwood Win User
    I'm in the same boat; no solution yet.

Mirkwood, Dec 29, 2015
  11. This is the only thread I found online to my extremely weird issue. I have a Dell Inspiron that originally came as a Windows 8 and I upgraded to Windows 10 about 4 months ago or so and it was going very well with me. The only flaw from when I updated from 8 to 10 is that my Kaspersky AntiVirus system got completely removed for some weird reason. I had to wait until just yesterday to get the antivirus installation CD and code from my father as he lives in a different county. Kaspersky installed and requested a restart so I could continue with the process. It restarted and when it opened I get stuck on the welcome screen with my keyboard and mouse completely unresponsive. I inserted a usb mouse and it worked, however I still can't use the keyboard and can't access the Admin account to try and disable/enable the keyboard and touchpad as it contains a password. I opened my extra account with the usb mouse but it is not an Admin account and I can't really do anything. However when I check the properties of both the mouse and keyboard it says that they were unable to start. This came at a very inappropriate time as I need my laptop for all my university classes. I will be back in the US on Sunday and am considering going to a Microsoft store to try and resolve this. Should I skip going to the Microsoft store? Should I buy a new laptop? I don't know what to do and would appreciate someone's direct advice for such a situation.

Muntherbst1, Jan 8, 2016
  12. GAS
    Gas Win User
    Could a clean installation be a problem for you?
    Is the best way to have a performing OS

13. windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard

This will boot windows 10 to recovery, then choose to boot to safe mode and the keyboard and mouse stay working. Then you can access all your files and install drivers.
    Thank you!!!

austincarpenter, Jan 11, 2016
  14. Mirkwood Win User
    My fix:
    Use TeamViewer from another computer to login to the machine with "dead" keyboard. Install Logitech SetPoint which itself I don't think has anything to do with drivers but for whatever reason nudges the keyboard just enough so it works.

Mirkwood, Jan 13, 2016
  15. goaferdan Win User
    Hi,

This happened tome as well. To resolve the issue, I tried switching keyboard language & layout (bottom right corner of the screen).

goaferdan, Jan 13, 2016
Thema:

1. windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard - Similar Threads - stuck login screen

2. Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond: my desktop PC had been restarted after an normal update for my AMD program. Now my PC is stuck on the login screen and the mouse and keyboard will not respond. I cannot get into windows at all, I cannot access anything on the login screen. I tried rebooting, it did not fix...
  3. Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond: my desktop PC had been restarted after an normal update for my AMD program. Now my PC is stuck on the login screen and the mouse and keyboard will not respond. I cannot get into windows at all, I cannot access anything on the login screen. I tried rebooting, it did not fix...
  4. Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Mouse and Keyboard is not working in Windows 10 login screen.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse and Keyboard is not working in Windows 10 login screen.: After the latest windows 10 update my keyboard and mouse are no longer working. This makes me unable to type in my password at the windows login screen. When I boot to BIOS the mouse and keyboard are working, and if I boot to the windows troubleshoot screen they work as well....
  6. Mouse and Keyboard is not working in Windows 10 login screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse and Keyboard is not working in Windows 10 login screen.: After the latest windows 10 update my keyboard and mouse are no longer working. This makes me unable to type in my password at the windows login screen. When I boot to BIOS the mouse and keyboard are working, and if I boot to the windows troubleshoot screen they work as well....
  7. On screen keyboard Stuck in Login Screen.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    On screen keyboard Stuck in Login Screen.: Hey i want to know how to remove on screen keyboard ? I already unchecked the on screen keyboard option from ease to access center.Please Help me.It only appears in log in screen....
  8. On screen keyboard Stuck in Login Screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    On screen keyboard Stuck in Login Screen.: Hey i want to know how to remove on screen keyboard ? I already unchecked the on screen keyboard option from ease to access center.Please Help me.It only appears in log in screen....
  9. On screen keyboard Stuck in Login Screen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  10. Stuck on Windows screen, no mouse or keyboard

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck on Windows screen, no mouse or keyboard: So it's on my computer and it kept kicking me off of Google Chrome and a message would appear stating to close apps, restart, shut down, etc.. It was like a drop down menu. it was almost like my keyboard was pressing several keys at a time without me touching it. I hit cancel...