Windows 10: windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard

Discus and support windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I had the same issue upgrading from Windows 7 to 10... Mouse: Razer Taipan Keyboard: Razer Deathstalker so, not exactly "cheap crap". Both... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cocobna, Aug 2, 2015.

1. pAnd0rA Win User

windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard

I had the same issue upgrading from Windows 7 to 10...

Mouse: Razer Taipan
    Keyboard: Razer Deathstalker

so, not exactly "cheap crap".
    Both Mouse and keyboard worked in Bios, on Boot the illumunation was turned off and obviously neither was (re)activated, so I got stranded on the Win 10 Splash Screen with no way to input.

Booting to Safe Mode (did I ever mention, that literally forcing you to risk killing your hardware, just to get to #(/%#! Safe Mode is probably one of the most stupid things, Microsoft ever did?) revealed, that in the hardware manager both mouse and keyboard were listed multiple times (5 x mouse, 3 x keyboard), so I removed all those (also ticked uninstall driver), rebooted to a splash-screen with finally working mouse & keyboard, logged in, reinstalled the drivers and everything's working ever since.

pAnd0rA, Jan 15, 2016
  2. Chelmick Win User

We've had the same problem I have a custom built gaming computer, unistalled windows 10 and had no mouse and keyboard response I have no way of installing a ps2 keyboard so in desperate panic, I disconnected the power and pulled the battery from the mother board for about a min my mouse and keyboard started working when I powered it back up, I'm reinstalling windows 7 just as a precaution but everything seems to be working fine now

Chelmick, Feb 6, 2016
  3. Hi, I also have a computer with an ASUS motherboard. I have reinstalled Windows 10 several times and still have the same issue, no mouse at the login screen. I do however have a keyboard. My keyboard is a PS/2 keyboard so perhaps that is why the keyboard works. A PS/2 keyboard has a round plug rather than the USB plug - you likely knew that. If your computer allows you to hook up a PS/2 keyboard it would be worthwhile purchasing one and trying it. Anyway, at the login screen, I can press the Enter key to get to the PIN or password entry. I have found that I can use the tab key and tab over to the power icon at the lower right of the screen and select it with the Enter key. Then use the arrow keys to move up to Sleep. Then I select Sleep and the computer sleeps. When I wake it the mouse works. I don't know why.
    I also have found that if I simply enter my PIN or password and log in that after about a minute or so Windows finds my mouse and it works. Possibly this might help.

garthmicro, Feb 14, 2016
  4. treckberg Win User

I have now lost the mouse twice on my windows 10 desktop PC. The first time I changed the battery. Then when that didn't work I bought a new mouse which also did not work. Eventually, after using the keyboard to look around, I disabled and re-enabled the mouse driver, but that also did not work. At some point, after not doing anything interesting, it worked again. The old mouse also worked after that.

The second time I lost the mouse was last night. I went to turn off my machine at bedtime and could not get the mouse to respond. The machine had been sitting idle for several hours with the mouse working perfectly just before I left the machine. I turned it off with the keyboard and left the problem for the morning.

In the morning, I turned it on and the mouse still did not work. I pulled out an old wired mouse to eliminate any wireless problems. Not only did it not work, but the device manager never even noticed it was attached. It showed only 1 driver. I tried disabling and re-enabling the driver, but that didn't help.

Then I tried turning off the machine, turning it back on and logging in. After doing that a few times, the mouse worked again. And, the device manager now recognizes both mice and both are working.

I've had other unrelated problems with windows 10 which seem to be fixed after several reboots. This has to be a windows problem.

treckberg, Feb 18, 2016
  5. Try this from an elevated command prompt(right click cmd select run as admin): sfc /scannow

BorisTheAnimal, Feb 18, 2016
  6. treckberg Win User
    Since I haven't done this after converting to W10, I did it. No problems found. See jpg.

windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard [​IMG]

treckberg, Feb 18, 2016
  7. 800mph Win User
    Thank you for the information. You saved my poor little head from exploding. I really appreciate the help. *Smile
    Melody

800mph, Apr 12, 2016
  8. 800mph Win User

I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to fix this! I have just today (after almost a week of this) figured out how to access my desktop through this method. I am sick to think of everything that I am in danger of losing. I am crossing my fingers. *Rolleyes Did you get it sorted out?

Melody

800mph, Apr 12, 2016
  9. I'm currently having the same issue, keyboard and mouse work perfectly on bios, tried different sets as well.. My computer has only usb ports, so I have no other choices than that for keyboard and mouse.. I can't access anything as soon as the windows logo comes up.. I already reinstalled to several different Os, all work great, only when coming back yo w10 does it all fail.. And it's likely not my rig, I've been using w10 for well over a year and just recently decided to reset everything.. This is the only time this has happened, I've restarted in most ways suggested and even accessing the troubleshooting is useless since it also can't read both mice nor keyboard. I really want to keep using w10, but I can't even revert to an older option, tips?

Silvercookie, Jul 29, 2016
  10. xbliss Win User
    Same Issue JUST STARTED 1-2 days back on my aunts laptop (which was working okayish on Win 10 for now so must be some recent PUSH updates):
    PS: I've decided to put her back on Win 8.1 cause I hate having to support Win 10 shenanigans every damn week with some friend or relative.

Dell Inspiron 1545

I kept punching F8 and it did not even get me safe mode. Maybe it start to recog the laptop keyboard even as it boots.
    Will try a BIOS bypass, but that still means, no way to get inside windows.. and have them take their data out.

Any thoughts and workarounds?

xbliss, Sep 16, 2016
  11. Owd Larrd Win User
    Once booted into Safe Mode (and logged in via password, and not my prior config PIN), a restart made all work fine! You can normally do this by 'bullying' the boot three times, so the fourth gives you the support options (pic below)

windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard [​IMG]

Once at this screen, you two methods available:
    1) From "Advanced Options", select "Startup Settings" to enable what is a one-off boot with "F8" style numbered options.

OR

2) Starting from Safe Mode using above, or you can choose "Command Prompt". Once you have a Command Prompt running, type in, then hit Enter on each of the following two commands

(before running, note you'll get the "F8 boot screen", for every boot afterwards. but having the option present for every boot is bizarrely reassuring having gone through some much hassle with this thread's exact error, and similar *Huh)

Some folks may recognise the first command as working on prior releases of Windows, but to work with Win 10 you also need the second command! Sooooo, from an elevated "Command Prompt" type>bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacybcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu True
    exit
    Now every boot you will now have the counted-down option of Safe Mode, as a recognisable "F8 Boot Screen" stylee.
    credit and kudos to Kyhi and lx07

(sub-note: to reduce the countdown but retain the boot options being presented, when booted as normal, right click the "My Computer" on your desktop, choose "Properties", "Advanced System Settings", in the bottom section "Startup and Recovery", click "Settings", at the "System Startup" section, with "Default Operating System" set as "Windows 10", ensure to tick "Time to display list of operating systems:" the change the option a time you'd prefer. Finally Save, the Restart to confirm the countdown change...)

Owd Larrd, Apr 8, 2017
  12. MikeR Win User
    I had the identical problem and solved it by disconnecting a hard drive that was faulty. As I unplugged it the mouse miraculously came back to life immediately. Maybe worth unplugging hard drives?

MikeR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard - Similar Threads - stuck login screen

2. Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond: my desktop PC had been restarted after an normal update for my AMD program. Now my PC is stuck on the login screen and the mouse and keyboard will not respond. I cannot get into windows at all, I cannot access anything on the login screen. I tried rebooting, it did not fix...
  3. Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond: my desktop PC had been restarted after an normal update for my AMD program. Now my PC is stuck on the login screen and the mouse and keyboard will not respond. I cannot get into windows at all, I cannot access anything on the login screen. I tried rebooting, it did not fix...
  4. Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Mouse and Keyboard is not working in Windows 10 login screen.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse and Keyboard is not working in Windows 10 login screen.: After the latest windows 10 update my keyboard and mouse are no longer working. This makes me unable to type in my password at the windows login screen. When I boot to BIOS the mouse and keyboard are working, and if I boot to the windows troubleshoot screen they work as well....
  6. Mouse and Keyboard is not working in Windows 10 login screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse and Keyboard is not working in Windows 10 login screen.: After the latest windows 10 update my keyboard and mouse are no longer working. This makes me unable to type in my password at the windows login screen. When I boot to BIOS the mouse and keyboard are working, and if I boot to the windows troubleshoot screen they work as well....
  7. On screen keyboard Stuck in Login Screen.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    On screen keyboard Stuck in Login Screen.: Hey i want to know how to remove on screen keyboard ? I already unchecked the on screen keyboard option from ease to access center.Please Help me.It only appears in log in screen....
  8. On screen keyboard Stuck in Login Screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    On screen keyboard Stuck in Login Screen.: Hey i want to know how to remove on screen keyboard ? I already unchecked the on screen keyboard option from ease to access center.Please Help me.It only appears in log in screen....
  9. On screen keyboard Stuck in Login Screen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  10. Stuck on Windows screen, no mouse or keyboard

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck on Windows screen, no mouse or keyboard: So it's on my computer and it kept kicking me off of Google Chrome and a message would appear stating to close apps, restart, shut down, etc.. It was like a drop down menu. it was almost like my keyboard was pressing several keys at a time without me touching it. I hit cancel...