Windows 10: Windows 10 Stuck on Restarting/Shutting Down/Sign-off from user

Discus and support Windows 10 Stuck on Restarting/Shutting Down/Sign-off from user in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Good Morning everyone, After recent W10 updates i'm facing a wierd issue on 2 laptops, Both are Dell 5401 with all the latest Driver Updates and all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Giovanni Gabriel Spigolon, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Stuck on Restarting/Shutting Down/Sign-off from user

Good Morning everyone,

After recent W10 updates i'm facing a wierd issue on 2 laptops,
    Both are Dell 5401 with all the latest Driver Updates and all the W10 updates done.
    When performing a shutdown, restart, sign-off it takes exactly 10 minutes 600s to make the operation, while the startup its really fast, around 3/4 secs.

On the event viewer i saw that the most ocurrent one is 8018.
    This is happening only on these 2 laptops, other old laptops that i reimaged over PXE Booting in the same, don't have this problem, that occurs ONLY after making all the windows updates.

This is the Log I deleted the IP addresses and some other stuff:

Can someone help me?
    Split DNS and domain controller looks working properly, since its happening only on these laptops.

/***************************************/

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client

Date: 24/08/2020 09:25:20

Event ID: 8018

Task Category: 1028

Level: Warning

Keywords:

User: NETWORK SERVICE

Computer: *DELETED*

Description:

The system failed to register host A or AAAA resource records RRs for network adapter

with settings:

Adapter Name : {40C4568D-1D41-4BE0-A349-12F682C08C63}

Host Name : TUR1-L-EARTI01

Primary Domain Suffix : *DELETED*

DNS server list : *DELETED*

Sent update to server : *DELETED*

IP Addresses : *DELETED*

The reason the system could not register these RRs was because the DNS server contacted refused the update request. The reasons for this might be a you are not allowed to update the specified DNS domain name, or b because the DNS server authoritative for this name does not support the DNS dynamic update protocol.

To register the DNS host A or AAAA resource records using the specific DNS domain name and IP addresses for this adapter, contact your DNS server or network systems administrator.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client" Guid="{1c95126e-7eea-49a9-a3fe-a378b03ddb4d}" />

<EventID>8018</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>1028</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-08-24T07:25:20.5389787Z" />

<EventRecordID>6757</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="1820" ThreadID="2368" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>*DELETED*s</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-20" />

</System>

:)

Giovanni Gabriel Spigolon, Aug 26, 2020

2. Windows 10 does not sign users out when shutting down or restarting PC

Using Windows 10 Pro 1706.

Two users on PC.

When shutting down or restarting, Windows does not sign the user out. Get warning message "Someone else is still using the PC. If you shut down now, they could lose unsaved work." FYI, Task manager shows the User Status of that someone else as "Disconnected."

It seems only logical that when one user shuts down the PC that that user would be signed out. We can go through extra steps of signing out and then shutdown the PC from the Windows logon screen but I don't know anyone who would think that it's an user
    friendly process.

What gives???

pragmaticron, Aug 26, 2020
  3. ilgoldman Win User
    Random shut down and restart??

Computer: Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual cpu
    E220@2.406hz
    2.42 GHZ, 2.00 GB of RAM
    Windows xp

Ever since I replaced the fan (with heat sink) the computer has randomly shut down and then restarted, at first during streaming, and now, will shut down and restart anytime. I tried to replace the graphics card to no avail. *Confused Windows 10 Stuck on Restarting/Shutting Down/Sign-off from user :confused:*Mad Windows 10 Stuck on Restarting/Shutting Down/Sign-off from user :mad:

One suggestion was to replace the RAM.

Any suggestions on how to repair my computer?

ilgoldman, Aug 26, 2020
  4. jimhoyle Win User

Windows 10 Stuck on Restarting/Shutting Down/Sign-off from user

How to troubleshoot an error that appears only at Restart or Sign out?

I get an error pop-up error message not every, but almost every time I Restart or Sign out. It's the screen with blue background and on top of Restart or Sign out text an error window says:

Explorer.exe - Application error. The instruction at 0x000… referenced memory at 0x000... The memory could not be written.

Sometimes the error code is just zeros, sometimes random numbers. I have tried so much already to troubleshoot this. For example these did not help in any way:
    • MemTest86+ (no problems)
    • Disabling any Services, Autoruns/ShellExView entries
    • Low resolution mode
    • BIOS settings are fine, no overclocking etc.
    • DISM.exe and sfc
    • etc.

However, these do make the error go away:
    • End process for explorer.exe before Restart or Sign out
    • Safe Mode
    • Creating a new user profile (almost the same as clean installing Windows, many full days of work)
    • Uninstalling NVIDIA graphics driver (then the card is unusable, of course)
    • Disabling Device Manager / Display Adapters / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

I already contacted NVIDIA and the graphics driver is not the culprit. Something has gone wrong with the user profile as the same driver works just fine in a new profile (and there's nothing wrong with the driver anyway, it's just the Restart or Sign out process that has a problem).

What can I do to fix this? One useful thing would be to have a step-by-step procedure for the Sign out. So that it'd ask before continuing to the next step and list what it's doing. Or if I could just disable whatever it does when the error appears.

jimhoyle, Aug 26, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Stuck on Restarting/Shutting Down/Sign-off from user

1. Windows 10 Stuck on Restarting/Shutting Down/Sign-off from user - Similar Threads - Stuck Restarting Shutting

2. Stuck in Shutting Down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck in Shutting Down: My laptop has been stuck in shutting down lately then blue screen right after. May I ask how to solve this? Thank you.PS: I have included the dump files in the link below.https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amvk0yAZWVBkmVKmxyCi2jzOlAOk?e=AE8dji...
  3. Restart + Shutting down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restart + Shutting down: Hey guys, nice to see you. I have problem with windows restart and shut down. Everytime I try to restart or shut down my PC from windows menu it stuck on restarting / shutting down screen.And I need to force restart/shut down from the physical button on the Pc case. I cant go...
  4. Restart + Shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restart + Shutting down: Hey guys, nice to see you. I have problem with windows restart and shut down. Everytime I try to restart or shut down my PC from windows menu it stuck on restarting / shutting down screen.And I need to force restart/shut down from the physical button on the Pc case. I cant go...
  5. Windows 10 stuck at shutting down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 stuck at shutting down: There was no update or anything. Yesterday I turned off my desktop. And today was trying to turn in back on but I see only I mean there is nothing else. There is a mouse pointer in the screen but it not reacting, but PC reacts to the mouse movement, atleast monitor wakes up....
  6. Windows stuck on shut down or restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows stuck on shut down or restart: Hello! When I am trying to restart or shut down my laptop and I'm getting stuck on the "restarting" or "Shutting down" screens with the dots, even if I press restart anyway or shut down anyway. Booting up is not affected at all. I tried several solutions from the Internet...
  7. Windows 10 Shut down and restart

Windows 10 Shut down and restart: Shut down and restart not working in Windows 10. Everytime I had to press power button to shut down. Battery drains even after powering off. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-shut-down-and-restart/a8c8a9f1-3591-4bf4-aa54-c2301f899a7e
  8. Windows 10 Stuck "Shutting Down"

Windows 10 Stuck "Shutting Down": Its been an hour, every thread about this is locked, so i thought i would make a new one for you guys to ignore and lock without a solution other than "Hold the power button for 10 seconds, try the troubleshooters and reinstall if that doesn't work". How do you guys mess up...
  9. Turn On AutoEndTasks at Restart, Shut down, or Sign out of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On AutoEndTasks at Restart, Shut down, or Sign out of Windows 10: How to: Turn On AutoEndTasks at Restart, Shut down, or Sign out of Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off AutoEndTasks at Restart, Shut down, or Sign out of Windows 10 When apps (tasks) do not end (close) automatically when you are HungAppTimeout) by default before the End...
  10. shut down of PC without sign off of other user

in Windows 10 Support
    shut down of PC without sign off of other user: I have two user, one with admin rights and other local standards. I have set up my PC to automatically sign in local user. My question is if admin sign in without sign off of local and thus shut down the PC, a message appears that another user is already sign in and will lose...