Windows 10: Windows 10 stuck "preparing windows" for 35 minutes and counting

Discus and support Windows 10 stuck "preparing windows" for 35 minutes and counting in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Two weeks ago, I shut down my Windows 10 laptop the normal way and today I booted it up. Now it is stuck at a light blue screen and it says "Preparing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ornithophilia, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Windows 10 stuck "preparing windows" for 35 minutes and counting

Two weeks ago, I shut down my Windows 10 laptop the normal way and today I booted it up. Now it is stuck at a light blue screen and it says "Preparing Windows" with spinning dots and refuses to move onto the login screen! It has sat there for 35 minutes now and counting!

How do I get the ball rolling?

:)

Ornithophilia, Oct 9, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 9, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Update stuck at 35% completed

Hi Johanson,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As per the description I understand that your device is stuck at 35% of installation of Windows Updates, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Are you using wired/ wireless internet connection?
    • Have you installed any anti-virus software on your device?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message with this issue?

This issue might be due to the anti-virus software or corrupted Windows Update Components.

I suggest you to remove all the external devices except mouse and keyboard, hard reboot the computer and perform the below troubleshooting steps.

Method 1:

Step 1: I suggest you to switch to wired connection (Connected the internet cable to your device) and try if you are able to install the Windows Updates. Also, try to uninstall the anti-virus
    software installed on your device.

If the issue still persists,

Step 2: I suggest you to
    run the Windows Update troubleshooter and check.

Windows Update Troubleshooter resolves problems that prevents you from updating windows.

Steps:

• Press Windows key and type
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Troubleshooting and click on
      View all in the left pane.
    • Select Windows Update to run theWindows Update Troubleshooter
      and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue still persists then,

Method 2: I suggest you to try the steps mentioned in
    Reset Windows Update components
    and check if you are able to find the Windows Updates.

Registry disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that
    you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Refer to the below article to backup and restore the registry in Windows:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

Note: The above links applies to Windows 10 as well.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 9, 2019
  4. P4-630 Win User

Windows 10 stuck "preparing windows" for 35 minutes and counting

Microsoft claims I signed up for Windows 10...

Click to expand... This is my list of hidden updates:

Windows 10 stuck "preparing windows" for 35 minutes and counting hidden-updates-jpg.jpg

P4-630, Oct 9, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 stuck "preparing windows" for 35 minutes and counting

1. Windows 10 stuck "preparing windows" for 35 minutes and counting - Similar Threads - stuck preparing minutes

2. Windows 10 Reinstall Stuck at “preparing”

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Reinstall Stuck at “preparing”: I was doing a Local Reinstall and it is just stuck at preparing at 62%. It hasn’t even gone to the actual reset process, it is just on the screen right after you click reset on the desktop and it just says “preparing to reset”...
  3. Windows 10 Reinstall Stuck at “preparing”

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Reinstall Stuck at “preparing”: I was doing a Local Reinstall and it is just stuck at preparing at 62%. It hasn’t even gone to the actual reset process, it is just on the screen right after you click reset on the desktop and it just says “preparing to reset”...
  4. Windows 10 Reinstall Stuck at “preparing”

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 8.1 Recovery not working stuck on 35%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 8.1 Recovery not working stuck on 35%: My old laptop got a virus or something and I couldn't use it properly for years.It was super slow and I couldn't even check for virus or update because of the loading time.So I tried to reset it but the reset option wouldn't even come up so I did Alt+F10 when I was turning on...
  6. Windows 8.1 Recovery not working stuck on 35%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 8.1 Recovery not working stuck on 35%: My old laptop got a virus or something and I couldn't use it properly for years.It was super slow and I couldn't even check for virus or update because of the loading time.So I tried to reset it but the reset option wouldn't even come up so I did Alt+F10 when I was turning on...
  7. windows 10 stuck on preparing to reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 stuck on preparing to reset: my computer has me crashing a lot so I thought I might reset it . it is now stuck on 51% on preparing to reset. Can anyone help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-stuck-on-preparing-to-reset/487fee79-38c6-4f10-94fd-1524087eb51d
  8. Preparing Windows stuck!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Preparing Windows stuck!: Hi, I wanted to change my language in Windows 10 to english. I downloaded packages and when I switched language I had to reboot pc. Now it was like 30 minutes ago and I'm stuck on "Preparing Windows. Don't turn off your computer" page. What should I do? I don't want to lose...
  9. Boot/Reboot 35+ minutes Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Boot/Reboot 35+ minutes Windows 10: I've seen a lot of these online and I have tried a lot of fixes. I have run the Windows Update troubleshooter several times. Ran the scan file checker(sfc) no errors. Windows update components in cmd. Msconfig shut off all start up except for microsoft. still have the...
  10. Windows 10 stuck on Preparing Windows screen

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 stuck on Preparing Windows screen: [ATTACH] Many a time when you reboot after a Windows 10 upgrade or just tried login to your account, you might just encounter this screen which says “Preparing Windows“, this could mean that Windows 10 is trying to finish off something [...] This post Windows 10 stuck on...