Windows 10: Windows 10 Stuck When Shutting Down

Discus and support Windows 10 Stuck When Shutting Down in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When I shut my computer down, the screen turns blue, it has the dots rotating in a circle, and words "Restarting". It never restarts. It hangs on this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by RCloud, Aug 9, 2020.

1. RCloud Win User

Windows 10 Stuck When Shutting Down

When I shut my computer down, the screen turns blue, it has the dots rotating in a circle, and words "Restarting". It never restarts. It hangs on this screen until I force shutdown the machine. PLEASE NOTE *** I DO NOT HAVE AN ISSUE TURNING ON THE COMPUTER AND WINDOWS STARTING UP *** It hangs when I shutdown not startup. I have read a ton of explanations regarding "Restarting" and options to get Windows started. That's not my issue.There has been no upgrade or anything like that. It has been doing this since I got the machine 10/2019. Any relevant help would be appreciated!

:)

RCloud, Aug 9, 2020

2. Windows 10 Computer stuck on shut down

My computer upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 about a week and a half ago, and everything seemed to be working well. Tuesday night I shut down the machine before going to bed. I was surprised Wednesday
    morning when it was still shutting down. It is now Saturday morning, and it has not completed shutting down. I have shut off the computer after it had been stuck in "shutting down" mode for a while by holding the power button for 10 seconds, left it for a
    considerable period of time, turned it on only to find that it had resumed its "shutting down" mode. I have unplugged it, only to have it resume shutting down upon restart. Computer is unusable. Suggestions?

DerekMereweather, Aug 9, 2020
  3. OneMoar Win User
    Occasional BSOD while shut down (Windows 10)

sounds like some app or device not unloading cleanly
    @Kursah he said DURNING SHUT DOWN AND ONLY DURING SHUTDOWN
    none of your suggestions are relevant if thats true

open blue screen view and look at the top 5 or 10 entries that should give you a idea on what device is mis-behaving

OneMoar, Aug 9, 2020
  4. Ernie San Win User

Windows 10 is unable to complete shut down

We suggest doing these troubleshooting steps below:

Method 1. Hard Reset

• Shut down your computer.
    • Remove the cable and wires connected to your computer.
    • Press the Power button for 10 seconds to completely drain your device.
    • Check if there's any changes.
    Method 2. Shutdown trick.

• Press Windows key.
    • Press and hold Shift.
    • Click the Power icon.
    • Select and click Shutdown.
    Let us know the outcome.

Ernie San, Aug 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Stuck When Shutting Down - Similar Threads - Stuck Shutting Down

2. Stuck on shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck on shutting down: Hi, I need help with my windows 10/11 computer and they get stuck on shutting down. I tried replacing the hard drive I backed up all of my data and replaced it to the other hard drive and also I tried an SSD and they didn’t fix it I tried. I enabled status, messages and...
  3. Stuck on shutting down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck on shutting down: Hi, I need help with my windows 10/11 computer and they get stuck on shutting down. I tried replacing the hard drive I backed up all of my data and replaced it to the other hard drive and also I tried an SSD and they didn’t fix it I tried. I enabled status, messages and...
  4. Stuck on shutting down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Stuck in Shutting Down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck in Shutting Down: My laptop has been stuck in shutting down lately then blue screen right after. May I ask how to solve this? Thank you.PS: I have included the dump files in the link below.https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amvk0yAZWVBkmVKmxyCi2jzOlAOk?e=AE8dji...
  6. Stuck in Shutting Down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck in Shutting Down: My laptop has been stuck in shutting down lately then blue screen right after. May I ask how to solve this? Thank you.PS: I have included the dump files in the link below.https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amvk0yAZWVBkmVKmxyCi2jzOlAOk?e=AE8dji...
  7. Laptop is stuck at shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop is stuck at shut down: I have recently done a clean reinstall of windows 10. Earlier I had no issues but now whenever I shut down my laptop its stuck at the shutting down window. I left my laptop at the shut down window hoping that it will shut down eventually but it remains stuck so I forced shut...
  8. Windows 10 stuck at shutting down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 stuck at shutting down: There was no update or anything. Yesterday I turned off my desktop. And today was trying to turn in back on but I see only I mean there is nothing else. There is a mouse pointer in the screen but it not reacting, but PC reacts to the mouse movement, atleast monitor wakes up....
  9. HELP!! Windows 10 stuck in shutting down

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HELP!! Windows 10 stuck in shutting down: Hello My computer has been stuck in the blue screen with the “Shutting Down” text for 20 minutes. I dont know what to do. I selected the option of “update and shut down” and know it wont start. Please if someone can help me I have a programming project I need to finish...
  10. Windows 10 Stuck "Shutting Down"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Stuck "Shutting Down": Its been an hour, every thread about this is locked, so i thought i would make a new one for you guys to ignore and lock without a solution other than "Hold the power button for 10 seconds, try the troubleshooters and reinstall if that doesn't work". How do you guys mess up...