Windows 10: Windows 10 suddenly compresses my C drive

Discus and support Windows 10 suddenly compresses my C drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, Yesterday, out of nowhere, after some updates, Windows 10 decided to compress my C drive. I didn't authorize it so why did that function... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by p4trk, Feb 21, 2019.

1. p4trk Win User

Windows 10 suddenly compresses my C drive

Hello,

Yesterday, out of nowhere, after some updates, Windows 10 decided to compress my C drive. I didn't authorize it so why did that function activated. Also, in disk clean up, I have something that says "compress your OS drive".

I want to turn this off and have everything the way it was before.

Please help!

:)

p4trk, Feb 21, 2019

2. compressing c: drive?

i've always wondered what would happen if i selected the compress disk option for my c: drive. i have never done it with anyother drives before, so i dont know what will happen. so does anyone know what would happen if i compressed my c: drive? would windows still work? this is probably a stupid question hahaha

frankie827, Feb 21, 2019
  3. compress files on the c drive under windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

• What type of files are trying to compress?

It is not recommended to compress any of the system files on C drive, as it may cause serious harm to the computer.

Let us know if you have any further query on Windows, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Feb 21, 2019
  4. Windows 10 suddenly compresses my C drive

Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

As you may already know, if this feature is on, every new folder/file you add starts off automatically compressed. If you would like to turn it off for the whole drive, kindly follow these steps:

• Start File Explorer . In the left pane, right-click on the drive that you would not want to be compressed.
    • Click Properties.
    • Make sure that the Compress this drive to save disk space box is unchecked.
    • Click OK then Apply.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Darian Tab, Feb 21, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 suddenly compresses my C drive

1. Windows 10 suddenly compresses my C drive - Similar Threads - suddenly compresses drive

2. C Drive Suddenly appeared as Windows Drive instead of C.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C Drive Suddenly appeared as Windows Drive instead of C.: The system still works but why does Explorer show the drive as Windows now? See picture. This is on a Surface Pro 3 running Win 10. Is there some way to correct the label so it shows as the C Drive again?...
  3. Compressing C:\ drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Compressing C:\ drive: My system - NVME SSD, i7-8750H CPU and 16 GB RAM. Would there be a "noticeable" performance hit if I compress my C: drive? (I have already compressed my D: and E: drives, but maybe C:\ is a special case since it contains the system files and would therefore affect everything...
  4. PC in Use While Compressing The "C" Drive

PC in Use While Compressing The "C" Drive: Dear MSCS I have several times before compressed my "C" Drive, but never used the PC while this is taken place. Is using the PC safe to do while this is taking place?...
  5. Storage Sense and Compressing drive C?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Storage Sense and Compressing drive C?: Now that Reserve Storage has reduced storage available to about 2 GB I am begining to experience some issues, even having done my usual cleaning routines. There might still be something more to gain from cleaning up further in Storage Sense. Download Files appears to have...
  6. Storage Sense and Compressing drive C?

in Windows 10 Support
    Storage Sense and Compressing drive C?: Now that Reserve Storage has reduced storage available to about 2 GB I am begining to experience some issues, even having done my usual cleaning routines. There might still be something more to gain from cleaning up further in Storage Sense. Download Files appears to have...
  7. Windows 10 drive compression

Windows 10 drive compression: Hello, I have accidentally checked the box for drive compression in the disk cleanup tool. I tried to go on drive, properties and uncheck the compression box, but many files are still compressed because they were opened during the process (system files) and when I install...
  8. Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

Files in C: drive automatically compressing?: Have seen this on two machines now. Wake machine to find all files on C drive compressed. Dual blue arrows on every file and folder. Go to settings on the drive and find Compress File is checked. None of our computers have ever had compression set as it messes with some of...
  9. Files in C drive automatically compressing

Files in C drive automatically compressing: Every new file I make is automatically compressed and have those 2 annoying blue arrows on them. Looked on the forums and got no answer that solved how to stop it. They all either said uncheck the "compress this drive to save disk space" box on the properties of the drive,...
  10. Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

Files in C: drive automatically compressing?: Hello everyone, yesterday i noticed lots of folders and shortcuts having 2 blue arrows on the top right of the icon. This means the file is compressed in the properties. But how do i make it stop? Every new file/folder i add automatically compresses and i don't want it to....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 compresses