Windows 10: Windows 10 suddenly running very slowly

Discus and support Windows 10 suddenly running very slowly in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My PC is suddenly running very slowly and programs are not opening or staying open. I think I may have installed an update yesterday, but couldn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by GeorginaL1, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Windows 10 suddenly running very slowly

My PC is suddenly running very slowly and programs are not opening or staying open.

I think I may have installed an update yesterday, but couldn't say which update it is as I don't remember. How can I rectify the problem?

:)

GeorginaL1, Oct 15, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 15, 2018
  3. HAT
    hat Win User
    Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

4. BlackOwl Win User

Windows 10 suddenly running very slowly

Windows running slowly in specific situations

Over the last few days (since maybe Thursday but definitely Friday) my Win10 machine has been running slowly in certain situations. The programs iTunes, GSAK, and Unreal Tournament 2004 run slowly in general, much slower than my new hardware has been able to output since I bought it less than two months ago. Other programs are substantially slower than normal to load, but act quite fine once they've been loaded (Sid Meier's Civilization V and Overwatch are two notable exmaples - they take up to six times longer to load than they did this time last week). The change was sudden but not noticeable straightaway.

One further change I've noticed is that whenever I go to shut down or reboot the computer, it tells me it's "Getting Windows ready" despite there being no updates to my knowledge. It tends to hang on that screen for some time before it actually shuts down or reboots - I'm not sure how long it takes as I often lose patience and go and do something else, but it's more than expected.

Steps I've already tried:
    • rebooting
    • antivirus scan
    • uninstalling programs I've installed within the last week
    • rolling back Windows updates (which I've found to be basically impossible)
    • cleaning up the fullest hard drive (I've more than doubled the free space on it)
    • updating my video card drivers
    • defragging all three hard drives

Any ideas?

BlackOwl, Oct 15, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 suddenly running very slowly

1. Windows 10 suddenly running very slowly - Similar Threads - suddenly running very

2. My computer is suddenly running very slowly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer is suddenly running very slowly.: I have tried almost every troubleshooting technique out there:reset windowsreset virtual RAMgo into root files for MSconfig and turn a 1 into a 0.Delete temp folderDelete Downloaddistributor or whatever it's calledTurn off Fast BootUpdate Drivers for PC and Graphics...
  3. My computer is suddenly running very slowly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer is suddenly running very slowly.: I have tried almost every troubleshooting technique out there:reset windowsreset virtual RAMgo into root files for MSconfig and turn a 1 into a 0.Delete temp folderDelete Downloaddistributor or whatever it's calledTurn off Fast BootUpdate Drivers for PC and Graphics...
  4. Windows 10 suddenly running very slowly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 suddenly running very slowly: Got this computer about 5 months ago, had no problems for awhile. About 10 days ago, after a windows update installed, things were suddenly running very slowly. I googled around a bit, found some advice that said to uninstall the update. I did that and things were fine...
  5. Window 10 suddenly started running very slowly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Window 10 suddenly started running very slowly: Yesterday night windows suddenly started running very slowly. I have done a few things to try and sort it out, and it seems like it is now limited to things in windows explore. The menu takes a long time to come up when I right click a file, if I click rename it takes about...
  6. Windows 10 suddenly started running very slowly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 suddenly started running very slowly: Yesterday night windows suddenly started running very slowly. I have done a few things to try and sort it out, and it seems like it is now limited to things in windows explore. The menu takes a long time to come up when I right click a file, if I click rename it takes about...
  7. Windows 10 is suddenly running slowly

Windows 10 is suddenly running slowly: My laptops has always been fast but in the last few days its suddenly run much slower. I haven't downloaded anything so i don't what it could be. Can someone please help me?...
  8. Windows 10 is running very slowly.

Windows 10 is running very slowly.: HOw do I speed up Window s 10? Are there files I need to remove? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-is-running-very-slowly/2ab1c823-577b-4d2b-be05-e8ec6b9ddde2
  9. Windows 10 booting and running very slowly

Windows 10 booting and running very slowly: My Dell Pecision M6800 has plenty of memory and a fast i7 processor with an 860 EVO mSATA SSD (500GB) and is fully updated. But sometimes, not all of the time decides to run very, very slowly. It can happen having no problems over weeks or it can happen every couple of days....
  10. Internet Running Very Slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Running Very Slowly: I've been going back and forth with my isp for a while now. trying to troubleshoot issues with my service. For a while it was truly their faults, going through updates and having down time in my area, just an overall loss of internet and throttling internet. I have since...