Windows 10: Windows 10 suddenly started running very slowly

Discus and support Windows 10 suddenly started running very slowly in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Yesterday night windows suddenly started running very slowly. I have done a few things to try and sort it out, and it seems like it is now limited to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Mr.Whatzhisname, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Windows 10 suddenly started running very slowly

Yesterday night windows suddenly started running very slowly. I have done a few things to try and sort it out, and it seems like it is now limited to things in windows explore. The menu takes a long time to come up when I right click a file, if I click rename it takes about 15 seconds to allow me to start typing the file name, and about the same to save the name after I have hit enter. Also, moving and deleting files takes a long time, when I clicked delete on a notepad file it took about 20 seconds for the progress bar to appear and took about 15 seconds to complete. When deleting and moving files the progress bar gets stuck on 99%, the bigger the files the longer it is stuck. Also if windows explore has a bit problem it can cause my whole computer to slow down.

This started when I had a few things open at the same time. I had just finished rendering a video in FLstudio, I had GIMP, libreoffice and chrome open but doing nothing, Firefox watching a youtube video and then when I tried to save a notepad document, note pad crashed and everything took a long time to close.

Here is some of the background and things I have tried:
    The previous windows update was 2 or 3 days before.
    I ran a full windows antivirus scan.
    Check defrag, but it was only 1%, so didnt actually defrag the drive.
    Turned off a load of a load of window explore animations.
    Installed an optional windows update. Check for new drivers with windows update there were none
    Found drivers for an unrecognized audio device in device manager a lot of things were running slowly before I did this, but didn't really help with windows explorer
    Set processor performance to focus on programs rather than background services.
    used performance monitor, says WMIs Zeroconfigservice stopped abnormally. I couldnt find out how to sort this out, but it seems to be something about a net work thing, so I don't know if it is relevant?
    There might have been another thing or two that I have tried and forgotten.
    Its an Acer Aspire if that matters.
    Any help would be great, I am stuck now.

:)

Mr.Whatzhisname, Mar 17, 2021

2. Windows 10 suddenly running very slowly

My PC is suddenly running very slowly and programs are not opening or staying open.

I think I may have installed an update yesterday, but couldn't say which update it is as I don't remember. How can I rectify the problem?

GeorginaL1, Mar 17, 2021
  3. Windows 10 Suddenly Starts to Lag

Hello,

For us to better assist you, we'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    • Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    • Click OK.
    • Were there any recent changes made prior to this issue?
    • Are you using any 3rd party antivirus program?

Meanwhile, we suggest performing the suggested steps on this article
    on how to improve the performance of your Windows 10 device.

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Mar 17, 2021
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 suddenly started running very slowly

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 17, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 suddenly started running very slowly

1. Windows 10 suddenly started running very slowly - Similar Threads - suddenly started running

2. My computer is suddenly running very slowly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer is suddenly running very slowly.: I have tried almost every troubleshooting technique out there:reset windowsreset virtual RAMgo into root files for MSconfig and turn a 1 into a 0.Delete temp folderDelete Downloaddistributor or whatever it's calledTurn off Fast BootUpdate Drivers for PC and Graphics...
  3. My computer is suddenly running very slowly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer is suddenly running very slowly.: I have tried almost every troubleshooting technique out there:reset windowsreset virtual RAMgo into root files for MSconfig and turn a 1 into a 0.Delete temp folderDelete Downloaddistributor or whatever it's calledTurn off Fast BootUpdate Drivers for PC and Graphics...
  4. Windows 10 suddenly running very slowly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 suddenly running very slowly: Got this computer about 5 months ago, had no problems for awhile. About 10 days ago, after a windows update installed, things were suddenly running very slowly. I googled around a bit, found some advice that said to uninstall the update. I did that and things were fine...
  5. Window 10 suddenly started running very slowly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Window 10 suddenly started running very slowly: Yesterday night windows suddenly started running very slowly. I have done a few things to try and sort it out, and it seems like it is now limited to things in windows explore. The menu takes a long time to come up when I right click a file, if I click rename it takes about...
  6. Computer suddenly started running really slowly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer suddenly started running really slowly: My computer all the sudden started working really slowly for even the smallest of tasks. literally anything I do now is excruciatingly slow. Opening chrome, opening file explorer, typing, even drawing the selection boxes on the desktop. The mouse moves smooth though still....
  7. Windows 10 is suddenly running slowly

Windows 10 is suddenly running slowly: My laptops has always been fast but in the last few days its suddenly run much slower. I haven't downloaded anything so i don't what it could be. Can someone please help me?...
  8. Windows start very slowly

Windows start very slowly: About a month ago I had an update for Windows 10 and after that, the computer began to boot very slowly (it took him more than 30 minutes to go up and reach to the login screen) and sometimes the language changed to gibberish or strange symbols. After about a week, the...
  9. Windows 10 is running very slowly.

Windows 10 is running very slowly.: HOw do I speed up Window s 10? Are there files I need to remove? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-is-running-very-slowly/2ab1c823-577b-4d2b-be05-e8ec6b9ddde2
  10. Windows 10 suddenly running very slowly

Windows 10 suddenly running very slowly: My PC is suddenly running very slowly and programs are not opening or staying open. I think I may have installed an update yesterday, but couldn't say which update it is as I don't remember. How can I rectify the problem?...