Windows 10: Windows 10 suddenly stops responding

Discus and support Windows 10 suddenly stops responding in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've been experiencing very limited functionality on my desktop for the past several weeks. I will be using it and all of a sudden it will stop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AndyMalanowski, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Windows 10 suddenly stops responding

I've been experiencing very limited functionality on my desktop for the past several weeks. I will be using it and all of a sudden it will stop responding. The mouse will still move but I cannot click on anything, start/stop programs and am forced to power off. Sometimes this happens minutes after logging into windows, but usually guaranteed to happen within 24 hours.

During boot, immediately after my BIOS check and on the screen with the windows logo and spinning dots, frequently (as in almost every time) the dots freeze. Sometimes it's right away, sometimes it's a while later. Eventually I go into recovery mode. It tells me it cannot determine the problem.

Sometimes I am able to boot into safe mode (sometimes it just freezes on the windows logo screen after the reboot.) I can tell if it will by whether or not the CPU light is lit.

If I'm able to get into safe mode I can work around just fine and it stays up and functional for days. This leads me to believe it's a driver problem?

I've tried a 'clean boot' several times and have had moderate success. This also made me think it's a driver problem?

I reinstalled windows, so it's a fresh install (I have the windows.old folder).

I recently upgraded my graphics card to an NVIDIA 1030. I was able to boot into windows normally a few days ago and downloaded and installed the newest set of drivers straight from NVIDIA (issued at the end of July), but the problem keeps happening.

I am able to see in the system logs that there are driver/hardware failures associated with these windows 'freezes' and that it's the 'nvlddmkm.sys' file causing the issues.

I've found a few threads that mentioned moving that file and manually re-extracting it, so I'm going to try that. I also recently bought a Logitech external webcam, I'm going to try updating those drivers, uninstalling that and see if it helps, but these are my real last two options.

Here is a link to some of the dump files associated with a recent crash: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjSb-JjMrrKDi6hpNHxxy4Dii0hkyw Can someone who knows something more than me take a look and see if it gives anything insightful?

I've been without a working home computer for weeks now (the issues has been happening for months, and I first noticed the issues appearing after the April update).

I'm trying to avoid completely wiping the hard drive and reinstalling but am quickly running out of options.

Any tips?

My system is a Dell XPS 630i.

Windows 10, up to date with all service packs and updates.

I'm dual booting Vista and W10. (I still have legacy software on Vista that I rarely use but keep it around). The dual boot worked great for a long time.

3 internal HDD's, one with Vista, one with W10 and one for storage.

:)

AndyMalanowski, Sep 5, 2018

2. Have windows 10, and suddenly my audio stopped

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As the above description is not clear, do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the exactly issue you are facing with audio and how exactly are you trying to access it?
    • What exactly do you mean by: Have windows 10, and suddenly my audio stopped?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system, prior to this issue?

I suggest you to install all the pending updates and audio drivers and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to update the audio drivers from Device Manager and check.

Steps:

• Right click on the Start
      button from the desktop and select Device Manager.

• Expand Audio inputs and outputs, right click on
      High Definition Audio Device and click on Update driver software.

• Also, try to search for the drivers with the help of model number of your computer from the Manufacturer’s website and install them.

Step 2: I suggest you to install all the pending updates after upgrade to Windows 10.

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you accordingly.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 5, 2018
  3. hellrazor Win User
    Survey Reveals Companies' Early Windows 8 Reactions and Plans

Bull fucking shit.

hellrazor, Sep 5, 2018
  4. Windows 10 suddenly stops responding

Intel HD Graphics 520 Stops Responding

Anyone else had this issue? It seems like every couple of days or so my screen flashes black and I see the message in the bottom corner saying that the Intel Display adapter stopped responding and has recovered. In fact, it has happened twice now in about 15 minutes. Looking around I believe I have the latest driver for it which would be 20.19.15.4300

Suggestions? Anyone else having this issue?

Running Windows 10 x64

satindemon4u, Sep 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 suddenly stops responding

1. Windows 10 suddenly stops responding - Similar Threads - suddenly stops responding

2. Window Crashed Suddenly and Stop Responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window Crashed Suddenly and Stop Responding: HI, I am Samadhan Darade since the last 3 years I used a hp desktop pc. Which has a problem it stops responding and suddenly crashes down and it was restarted after some time. And then the system starts functioning. I searched for everything but I can't find out the solution...
  3. Window Crashed Suddenly and Stop Responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window Crashed Suddenly and Stop Responding: HI, I am Samadhan Darade since the last 3 years I used a hp desktop pc. Which has a problem it stops responding and suddenly crashes down and it was restarted after some time. And then the system starts functioning. I searched for everything but I can't find out the solution...
  4. Window Crashed Suddenly and Stop Responding

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Audio service suddenly stopped responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio service suddenly stopped responding: My audio service stopped responding yesterday and ive been trying to fix it the whole day but nothing worked theres sound if i use headphones though.. ive tried uninstalling driver using cmd prompt updating driver and what not but theres still no sound can someone help?...
  6. Audio service suddenly stopped responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio service suddenly stopped responding: My audio service stopped responding yesterday and ive been trying to fix it the whole day but nothing worked theres sound if i use headphones though.. ive tried uninstalling driver using cmd prompt updating driver and what not but theres still no sound can someone help?...
  7. Zoom suddenly stops responding

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Zoom suddenly stops responding: I am using a lot more Zoom lately, but there is a very annoying problem that keeps repeating. When I am in a meeting Zoom suddenly stops responding. I can hear the audio, but I cant click anywhere or see the screenshare, cameras. Zoom support is practically non existing for...
  8. Excel worksheet suddenly stops responding to keyboard

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel worksheet suddenly stops responding to keyboard: I have Office 365. In one Excel file which has several worksheets, one of the worksheets alsways the same one will suddenly not respond to the keyboard. If I go to another worksheet in the file and type, the keyboard works, and it then works on the worksheet that was not...
  9. Whole Windows 10 stops responding

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Whole Windows 10 stops responding: Sometimes when I try to access my taskbar, it just won't come down at all. I've tried restarting Windows Explorer in task mgr, it doesn't fix anything. My desktop also turns white too. It's like it just stops responding. Everything goes back to normal after a couple minutes,...
  10. windows 10 stops responding

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows 10 stops responding: [ATTACH] So I have malwarebytes and I don't think it's a virus issue Sometimes my computer STOPS responding completely When I hover over the taskbar icons it doesn't respond and my clicks don't work (mouse/integrated trackpad) The only fix I have now is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why microsoft window suddenly stop responding