Windows 10: Windows 10 - suffers weekly from file Corruption, (Search won't open)

Discus and support Windows 10 - suffers weekly from file Corruption, (Search won't open) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 x64 LENOVO_MT_20E2_BU_Think_FM_ThinkPad W550s Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by joedit, May 24, 2018.

1. joedit Win User

Windows 10 - suffers weekly from file Corruption, (Search won't open)

Windows 10 x64
    LENOVO_MT_20E2_BU_Think_FM_ThinkPad W550s
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
    All drivers and Bios up to date.
    All hardware passed testing.
    Macrium Reflect Home Edition v7.1.3196 Backup tool.
    +++ +++ +++

This has been going on for months. I need to run sfc /scannow everyday before my differential backup runs.
    I have run DISM and SFC until I can do them in my sleep.

What I have noted is that it seems to corrupts whenever I do a reboot. I am afraid to do a reboot these days.
    I have tested all components, cpu, memory, disks and all other hardware, everything is fine.
    If the reboot takes forever I know I am in trouble. Usually my reboot is 50 seconds. If it is corrupted and I am able to get to the Desktop, things like the Search Window and the Windows Icon do not work. Nor if I right click on the CMD icon in order to run in Administrative mode, none of these work. And/Or explorer.exe is funky.
    Some times it fails to load Windows at all and I am at the Blue Screen of trying to repair Windows.

I just recovered my PC from a backup that was 2 weeks old. A full backup and all differential backups failed to recovery. I was shocked that I had to go back nearly 2 weeks to get the image where sfc passed,

Today - I have 4 MircoSoft updates to run for Win 10.
    Last night - I did a full image backup
    SFC /scannow passed this morning.
    I did a complete backup of C:\Windows (I hope I can just restore this if I get hammered again)
    Well I am off to do an update! Wish me luck! If I don't respond I am rebuilding again.

If anyone has to recover their machine as often as I or has some idea as to why this is constantly occurring,
    Please help me. What exactly is corrupt? Can I just backup those ahead of time?

:)

joedit, May 24, 2018

2. Store won't open in Windows 10

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response. From the description of the issue, I understand that you are facing issues with Windows Store in Windows 10.

Before proceeding, please check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different user account.

Ref: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

Please perform the below steps and see if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1:

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    Method 2:

If issue persist, Kindly follow the below given steps and check if it helps:

Run these commands:

• Press Windows key and type Powershell
      in search, right click on it and Open as administrator.
    • Type the following command in Powershell and hit enter:
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

Sagnik_Chakraborty, May 24, 2018
  3. Windows 10 search won't find files, folders and exe's

Hi Sannie,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. I understand your concern and I am glad to assist you.

Appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue.

Step 1:
    I would suggest you to try the search and indexing inbuilt troubleshooter and check if it helps for you.

Please follow the steps:

• Type troubleshooter in the search bar and click on it.

• Select view all on the left panel of your screen.

• From the troubleshooter list, Click on search and indexing
      and follow the on-screen instructions.
    Step 2: Perform an SFC (System File Checker) scan on your system for any corrupted file settings.

• Press Windows + X on your keyboard.
    • Select Command prompt admin.
    • At the command prompt type “sfc /scannow” (no quotes), and then press ENTER.
    Note: Do not close this Command Prompt window until the verification is 100% complete. The scan results will be shown after this process is finished.

Hope this post is helpful. Get back to us with the results. We are happy to help.

Joy Kemprai, May 24, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 - suffers weekly from file Corruption, (Search won't open)

1. Windows 10 - suffers weekly from file Corruption, (Search won't open) - Similar Threads - suffers weekly file

2. Windows files corrupted and won't update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows files corrupted and won't update: I am on windows 10 and my pc is out of date due to updates failing to install. SFC scan tells me there are corrupted files but it is unable to repair them. DISM restorehealth wont work due to missing source files even after specifying a mounted windows iso as the source. I...
  3. Windows files corrupted and won't update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows files corrupted and won't update: I am on windows 10 and my pc is out of date due to updates failing to install. SFC scan tells me there are corrupted files but it is unable to repair them. DISM restorehealth wont work due to missing source files even after specifying a mounted windows iso as the source. I...
  4. Windows files corrupted and won't update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Audio quality suffered from Windows 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio quality suffered from Windows 10 upgrade: Since upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, the audio quality is dreadful - like an old radio compared to previous quality stereo sound. Is this because the Realtek driver and software have been replaced by High Definition Audio Device so called! - and how do I get back...
  6. Windows 10 Won't Boot - System files corrupted?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Won't Boot - System files corrupted?: Hello, Windows 10 will not boot on my PC at all. Apparently my system files are corrupted/deleted, since just before it stopped working, a pop-up stated that a diagnostics file was not able to function on Windows, and then the entire computer started to display erratic...
  7. Windows files get corrupted every few weeks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows files get corrupted every few weeks: I had bought a Dell laptop that came pre installed with Windows 10 Home and MS Office Student edition. Off late it has started to become a real pain in the ass. Somehow files get corrupted and i have to reinstall windows to fix the issue and then a few weeks later, same issue...
  8. Windows 10 won't update maybe corrupt files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 won't update maybe corrupt files: Hey, I have been trying to update windows 10 but since 2 months I get the same error codes over and over again Download error: 0x80070002. If I go into my update history I can see the error code 0x80240034, again multiple times and it started about 2 months ago. It would be...
  9. Can't open files from Windows Search Bar

in Cortana
    Can't open files from Windows Search Bar: I usually open some of my files by searching their name in windows and then clicking them. This feature stopped working after I did an update on Windows. My previous version was 1803 and the new version is 1809. I am on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. After I click search icon, the...
  10. Downloaded files won't open - "Corrupt"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Downloaded files won't open - "Corrupt": I've received 5 files from 5 sources, both Excel and Word. Every time I try to open one I get an error message "File is corrupt and can't be opened." I can work on my own files, but not downloads. I tried the Windows 10 "workarounds" but these didn't help. Any suggestions?...