Windows 10: Windows 10 Surface Pro 3 ask for BIOS password when restarting with an SD card

Discus and support Windows 10 Surface Pro 3 ask for BIOS password when restarting with an SD card in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, I've been trying to get this issue resolved, but I have not been able to find a solution. When I have an microSD card inserted and restart the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GodsFaith, Nov 18, 2019.

1. GodsFaith Win User

Windows 10 Surface Pro 3 ask for BIOS password when restarting with an SD card

Hello,

I've been trying to get this issue resolved, but I have not been able to find a solution. When I have an microSD card inserted and restart the computer, windows automatically request BIOs password (which is blank to my knowledge). I can hit enter without a password, but some settings are still grayed out in the BIOs configuration. If I exit the BIOS config, I am asked for the password again.

If I remove the card after the restart at either the password screen or the bios config and exit, the computer boots normally.

Is there a way to get the computer to boot to windows with the microSD card inserted without requiring a password? If not, how do I set the password so I do not have to eject the card every time to restart.

:)

GodsFaith, Nov 18, 2019
  2. Mel Jones Win User

SD card Windows 10 keeps vanishing

Hi all,

Has anybody noticed their SD card reader keeps disappearing with Windows 10. As of 14342 I noticed the SD card keeps disappearing on my Surface Pro 3. This is the same problem with version 1607 build 1438.0. but I have noticed something in Device Manager that I did not noticed before. Surface Telemetry is not installed.

Restart everything is fine which is normal... and expected. I have installed the latest Windows 10 Realtek Card Reader drivers and they installed fine but now and then the SD card reader disappears.

Mel Jones, Nov 18, 2019
  3. Roohi_Taj Win User
    Surface Pro 3

Hi ChrisWaters3,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you please help me with the below information:

1. Does the battery drain out, if the tablet is not connected to peripherals?

2. Which version of Windows you are using? (To check, type: winver in start menu and hit enter.)

I understand how something like this can try your patience. This issue is an indication of faulty drivers or incompatible driver.
    However, I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

Method 1: Check the drivers.

Step1: Battery driver

1. Press Windows andR
      key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    3. Click on view on top > Select Show hidden devices.
    4. Expand the Batteries option from the list.
    5. Select the ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery> right click on the driver and click on
      Properties.
    6. Click on Driver tab > check if you have the option to
      Roll Back Driver.
    7. If yes, Roll back the driver or uninstall it and restart the computer.
    Uninstalling the driver will be automatically installed after the system is restarted. Check if the issue is fixed.

Step 2: Keyboard driver.

1. In the Device manager, go to ‘Other devices’, you will find
      Unknown devices.
    2. Double tap on the unknown device > click on
      Driver tab> click on update driver.
    3. Select browse my computer for driver software> Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers
    4. Select keyboard, then click ‘Next.
    5. Select HID Keyboard device and click finish.

Method 2: Run the toolkit.

Note: If your Surface is managed by your work or school, check with your organization's IT department before running the tool.

I would suggest you to run the toolkit provided by Microsoft on
    Fix common Surface
    problems using the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit

If the above steps, doesn’t fix the issue. I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in the article on
    Surface Pro 3 Battery
    FAQ for the Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware update

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Nov 18, 2019
  4. Jesse_IT Win User

Repairing Surface Pro 3 BIOS

I have used all the tools that Microsoft currently has available for the Surface Pro 3.

I have Completely wiped the Surface with the Microsoft provided recovery image.

I cannot get the Microsoft Surface Update tool to run on any computer what I have or use.

I have not found a .iso file provided by Microsoft for the Surface Pro 3 BIOS so that I can make my own Bootable SUB drive, in order to flash the BIOS.

My questions are:

Does the Surface Pro 3 Recovery Image from Microsoft also flash the BIOS?

Where can I get a .iso file for Surface Pro 3 so that I can make my own Bootable BIOS USB?

How can I get the Microsoft Surface Update Tool to work?

Thank you.

Jesse_IT, Nov 18, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Surface Pro 3 ask for BIOS password when restarting with an SD card - Similar Threads - Surface Pro ask

2. surface pro SD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    surface pro SD: surface pro 4 SD, SD ? SD, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro/78a8a346-40a7-4c8b-a5fc-8755b1594606
  3. Repairing Surface Pro 3 BIOS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Repairing Surface Pro 3 BIOS: I have used all the tools that Microsoft currently has available for the Surface Pro 3. I have Completely wiped the Surface with the Microsoft provided recovery image. I cannot get the Microsoft Surface Update tool to run on any computer what I have or use. I have not...
  4. SD Card not recognised in Surface Book

SD Card not recognised in Surface Book: I have inserted a micro SD card into my surface book using an adaptor but my surface book is not recognising it. When i go into device manager, and click on show hidden devices, i can see a generic SD card device under disk drives, but i can't get it to work. I have tried...
  5. Surface Pro 6, Win 10, SD card access?

Surface Pro 6, Win 10, SD card access?: Surface Pro 6, Win 10, SD card access? I cannot access same. I assume it not formatted is main reason (my guess). or - my 128 GB is too big? How/what driver (?) I need to add? Tocar...
  6. Surface Pro 3

Surface Pro 3: Hi The Surface Pro tablets are brilliant and I have most probably been responsible to recommending many of them to friends following buy a Surface Pro 3 when they were released. Since a firmware update in recent times I have no issues and since then my keyboard if left...
  7. find my surface pro 3 password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    find my surface pro 3 password: my account has 3 different names sherry sherry manuel sherry53 how do I use the same password cant get to devices in micro acct WERE WORKING ON THIS SOMETHING WRONG ON OUR SIDE FOR 3 months ***Moved from Surface Pro 3 / Safety and security***...
  8. SD Card issue in my Surface Pro

SD Card issue in my Surface Pro: In my Surface Pro with Windows 10 O.S. , the add on storage (Micro SD Card) displays Storage Capacity ok (471Gb free of 500 GB) in This PC, but when i select all the contents properties of add on storage(512 GB Micro SD Card) ,it shows very less Storage used (i.e. 4 GB...
  9. Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3 Keeps Asking to Verify

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3 Keeps Asking to Verify: So basically after a certain amount of time, when I reboot my Surface Pro 3 or sometimes even leave it running for that long, I wind up getting hit by an error that says that I need to verify my identity. I then have to go over to the Accounts option in Settings and then...
  10. Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3

Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3: Just upgraded my Surface Pro 3 to Windows 10. Now I have no network connections. The wireless drivers and the docking station drivers are all there. I have tried uninstall and reinstall the drivers for both Marvell and Surface ethernet adapter and still nothing....