Windows 10: Windows 10 System Configuration Utility app always coming up with "Startup selection" set...

Discus and support Windows 10 System Configuration Utility app always coming up with "Startup selection" set... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Moderator: If this should've been directed to another topic, please do so. I felt like trying to select from a voice mail menu, when none of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by lelarso, Apr 9, 2020.

1. lelarso Win User

Windows 10 System Configuration Utility app always coming up with "Startup selection" set...

Moderator: If this should've been directed to another topic, please do so. I felt like trying to select from a voice mail menu, when none of the options seems to fit.

I just upgrated from Win 7 to Win 10, using thumbdrive upgrade media created using a Microsoft website. During the upgrade, I selected to use no personal docs and settings, and no drivers. Everything appears to be functioning normally, including file/printer sharing to other devices.

My problem is with the System Configuration Utility app started by typing "msconfig" in the Start search box. On the General tab, "Startup selection" always comes up set to "Selective startup". Even when I try setting it to "Normal startup" and restarting, it still comes up "Selective startup." BTW, when "Normal startup" is selected, the Apply button stays ghosted, unless "Diagnostic startup" is selected first, then selecting "Normal startup."

Bottom line: is this behavior of "Startup selection" coming up set to "Selective startup" normal/permissible -- may I safely ignore it? Or, is it indicative of something wrong "under the hood"?

:)

lelarso, Apr 9, 2020
  2. lelarso Win User

Windows 10 System Configuration Utility app always coming up with "Startup selection" set to "Selective startup"

Moderator: If this should've been directed to another topic, please do so. I felt like trying to select from a voice mail menu, when none of the options seems to fit.

I just upgrated from Win 7 to Win 10, using thumbdrive upgrade media created using a Microsoft website. During the upgrade, I selected to use no personal docs and settings, and no drivers. Everything appears to be functioning normally, including file/printer
    sharing to other devices.

My problem is with the System Configuration Utility app started by typing "msconfig" in the Start search box. On the General tab, "Startup selection" always comes up set to "Selective startup". Even when I try setting it to "Normal startup" and restarting,
    it still comes up "Selective startup." BTW, when "Normal startup" is selected, the Apply button stays ghosted, unless "Diagnostic startup" is selected first, then selecting "Normal startup."

Bottom line: is this behavior of "Startup selection" coming up set to "Selective startup" normal/permissible -- may I safely ignore it? Or, is it indicative of something wrong "under the hood"?

lelarso, Apr 10, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Version 1803 Startup Apps configuration settings

With the 1803 feature update, 'Startup Apps' configuration controls

are now available at Settings/Apps/Startup.

One of the apps listed is a desktop app (not an Appx package)

that is configured for all users. The startup link for the app is

stored in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

If the app is configured to NOT start on log in (Off), the Settings window is

closed and Settings/Apps/Startup is reopened, the configuration for the

app is back to On.

I could not find this scenario listed as an issue with the 1803 update

and although it is minor it was a bit confusing.

ChrisGreen3, Apr 10, 2020
  4. DevCas1 Win User

Windows 10 System Configuration Utility app always coming up with "Startup selection" set...

System Configuration defaults to Selective startup

When selecting a different startup option, the Apply button remains greyed out...

Have done all other steps, just fired up System Configuration, and see it is yet again at Selective startup

DevCas1, Apr 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 System Configuration Utility app always coming up with "Startup selection" set... - Similar Threads - System Configuration Utility

2. MSCONFIG - Microsoft System Configuration - Utility

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MSCONFIG - Microsoft System Configuration - Utility: Microsoft System Configuration - Utility System Configuration Utility Window Microsoft System Configuration System Utility thorough usageIs there anyone who knows about literature in regards to MSCONFIG that has the fundamentals about the thorough usage of MSCONFIG. Mostly...
  3. MSCONFIG: Startup selection always reverting to selective after setting it to normal

in Windows 10 Customization
    MSCONFIG: Startup selection always reverting to selective after setting it to normal: In System Configuration, the Startup selection is set to selective and whenever I apply, it keeps on reverting to selective. I need this changed because I need normal for it to start my device drivers because I need to manually do it, and it gets really annoyingto have to do...
  4. set selective startup to normal startup

set selective startup to normal startup: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amw9ge5K2qfAc4ecpewnu1YUwU0?e=PpCP9eon selecting normal startupafter restart it back switch into selective startup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-selective-startup-to-normal-startup/4462d18e-c5e1-4939-86d4-7f38755e6759
  5. in system configuration, i select normal startup, and restart, then it always goes back to...

in system configuration, i select normal startup, and restart, then it always goes back to...: in system configuration, i select normal startup, and restart, then it always goes back to selective startup? Is that normal? How do i get normal startup?...
  6. disabled Windows 10 startup file in system Configuration utility

in Windows 10 Support
    disabled Windows 10 startup file in system Configuration utility: I accidentally disabled Windows 10 startup file in system Configuration utility and now I get a spinning Circle and cannot open or get into my PC running Windows 10. I get an error code 0 xc 0 0 0 0 0 0 e. I can get to the screen that has Recovery Options I clicked...
  7. Is selective startup is set default in ms configuration general tab

Is selective startup is set default in ms configuration general tab: tell one thing when I purchased my Dell laptop from dell store, then selective startup is set default in ms configuration general tab? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-selective-startup-is-set-default-in-ms/e5cf7231-b897-4003-880b-479c0b568eb7
  8. windows configuration system will not change any values from selective startup to get to...

windows configuration system will not change any values from selective startup to get to...: upgeaded to Windows 10 and the config sys is stuck in "selective startup" and I want "normal startup" with all my drivers working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-configuration-system-will-not-change-any/183eb375-d2e5-444e-90af-bd6b6d318887
  9. Dual booting set up in System Configuration

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual booting set up in System Configuration: Just getting to grips with W10 and noticed that dual booting can be set up in System Configuration-boot. This was the case in XP, I think or was a previous version. Bit late now as I have easybcd on W7 drive. Before you ask I have never had a successful install where W10...
  10. Why does system configuration stick with "Selective Startup" ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why does system configuration stick with "Selective Startup" ?: Hi All, My Windows 10 home-64b works flawlessly, but I've realized that the system configuration stubbornly continues to initiate under "Selective Startup" instead of "Normal Startup" which makes me wonder which "services" cannot be loaded. I've tried to change it but it...