Windows 10: Windows 10 - System Drives & File Structure Confusion

Discus and support Windows 10 - System Drives & File Structure Confusion in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Good Afternoon All, I have 3 questions I would really appreciate any support with. My PC Bought from a friend a couple of years back is still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jay_nation, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Windows 10 - System Drives & File Structure Confusion

Good Afternoon All,

I have 3 questions I would really appreciate any support with.

My PC Bought from a friend a couple of years back is still fantastic but I have issues in my other posts sorry

My questions are:

1. Why do I have several disk spaces C, F and G drive? I think the local C Disk is a flash drive and G and Hard Drive.

Windows 10 - System Drives & File Structure Confusion c0811e1b-c090-4299-a8d4-40f97005e7ec?upload=true.png

Windows 10 - System Drives & File Structure Confusion 2244d939-4ec1-4331-b35f-0ed9ec4b888b?upload=true.png

Windows 10 - System Drives & File Structure Confusion 8c2dac6d-f55b-4751-9601-28dc697d691b?upload=true.png

Windows 10 - System Drives & File Structure Confusion 44e7b09a-b8d1-4612-9bc4-0e00324b4e63?upload=true.png

2. Why do I still see my friends name Matthew in the file structure, I set my user profile up on the other G drive which may cause issues?:

Windows 10 - System Drives & File Structure Confusion 2575c057-eafe-4009-8199-b6d91c5562e6?upload=true.png

Windows 10 - System Drives & File Structure Confusion 3e383bc1-59d9-4b02-aa69-6b3f76e50a04?upload=true.png 3. Have I got 2

3. I seem to have 2 installations of Windows on this one one on C drive and one on G drive? I did upgrade it from Windows 7 could be why I have freezing issues?

Windows 10 - System Drives & File Structure Confusion a25d8288-6b30-441c-b5d5-bc669d3da573?upload=true.png

Windows 10 - System Drives & File Structure Confusion 507fb5c2-5cd7-4c2a-9db7-c241f500225d?upload=true.png With regards

JP

:)

jay_nation, Feb 18, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 18, 2020
  3. Windows 10 File and Folder Structure

I want to reorganize the files and file structure on my Surface desktop computer and have several rather disjointed questions. My basic knowledge of file structure is based on the organization of the C drive from DOS. I don't have a typical office/windows
    application in some respects, but I could make it work if I understood where things were stored and why. I need to be able to include atypical locations, files and folders in backups. I thought I'd ask some very basic questions, understand the answers and
    be able to follow-up with more specific questions. I hope someone can help me through this learning process, please. I am the sole user of this computer and the administrator, although I also have a user account but find it confusing in some situations.

1. Where can I find an example of the original Windows structure - as in a newly installed product? I also have Office 365 so understanding where it fits in the file structure is necessary.

2. Looking at the installed configuration, I saw several folders listed first - documents, downloads, music, pictures. In exploring my C:\ drive, I see a few unnecessary folders and one that says Users. Clicking on Users, I see other folders and have
    another folder listed User. Selecting that folder gives me a long list of folders on my C:\ drive including documents, downloads, music, pictures which appear to have different locations from the first level of folders. It is likely I created this confusion
    and it does complicate backups and sometimes restores. Furthermore, I don't need all of these levels and it creates more confusion when saving stuff.

3. I have 1TB of internal storage. When I change the default location saving files and move existing files/folders to external drives, my storage space remains the same, dangerously full. How do I get the system to restore the space.

I realize this is confusing - at least to me. Is there a Microsoft book (online or hardcopy) you can suggest for me to understand these issues and how to reorganize my harddrive? I'm an old woman and just need some basic understanding to make this work.
    Thanks for any help from anyone!

Second Greatest Mom, Feb 18, 2020
  4. Windows 10 - System Drives & File Structure Confusion

Replacable USB Drive File Structure Distruction

I shutdown a windows 10 system with an external usb hard drive connected. I restart windows 10 with a different usb hard drive connected to the same usb port with a different directory file structure and the directory file structure of the original drive
    appears destroying the directory file structure of the new drive. I hve tried this several times with different drives and have the same results.

GeorgeTerpening, Feb 18, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 - System Drives & File Structure Confusion

1. Windows 10 - System Drives & File Structure Confusion - Similar Threads - System Drives File

2. File Structure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Structure: Evidently, I am not alone in trying to understand Windows 11 file structure. I have OneDrive for Cloud storage. Took me a while to realize that "myname-Personal" file was the OneCloud file. I'm OK with this now for OneCloud, but I am thoroughly confused about the file...
  3. OneDrive file structure confusion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive file structure confusion: Hello,I reset my computer and I deleted all the files from OneDrive folder and uninstalled oneDrive from Control Panel. Now the problem is I do not have Desktop and other folders. So from my understanding, My PC was using OneDrive's 'Desktop' folder. But I do not want to use...
  4. OneDrive file structure confusion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive file structure confusion: Hello,I reset my computer and I deleted all the files from OneDrive folder and uninstalled oneDrive from Control Panel. Now the problem is I do not have Desktop and other folders. So from my understanding, My PC was using OneDrive's 'Desktop' folder. But I do not want to use...
  5. OneDrive file structure confusion

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Windows 10 filing structure

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 filing structure: Can someone please explain the relationship between the various places from which photos may be accessed, eg This PC/Pictures or C/Users/John/Pictures? It seems to me that the contents of each are not identical. 158196
  7. Confused about Windows folder structure

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Confused about Windows folder structure: I'm hoping someone can help clear my confusion about the Windows 10 folder structure. I will take the "Documents" folder as an example. There is a Documents folder under OneDrive, which I assume is the Cloud copy of documents. There is a Documents folder under This PC,...
  8. Drive confusion on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive confusion on Windows 10: Hi all--I'm new to Windows 10, and hoping you can help me. I have a refurbished Dell Precision m4800 running Win 10 Pro. It came with two drives: an SSD and a DVD drive. Last night, I installed an internal mSata drive as well. Using Disk Management, I kept the SSD as C,...
  9. Drive confusion on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Drive confusion on Windows 10: Hi all--I'm new to Windows 10, and hoping you can help me. I have a refurbished Dell Precision m4800 running Win 10 Pro. It came with two drives: an SSD and a DVD drive. Last night, I installed an internal mSata drive as well. Using Disk Management, I kept the SSD as C,...
  10. File structure of windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File structure of windows 10: I am so frustrated by the crazy windows file structure. I tried to transfer all of my photos from my old computer to the new one, but they all ended up in about 6 different locations. Plus my pictures on the old computer are in about 6 different locations too. I don't have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows folders confused