Windows 10: Windows 10 system functions extremely slow and often fail to open

Discus and support Windows 10 system functions extremely slow and often fail to open in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For the last three days my Acer Laptop has experienced issues. I was an early adopter of Windows 10 on this machine and only had a few problems with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ChrisMcNicol, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Windows 10 system functions extremely slow and often fail to open

For the last three days my Acer Laptop has experienced issues. I was an early adopter of Windows 10 on this machine and only had a few problems with it in the past which I have been able to resolve with advice from the Community.

In short -
    The search box takes ages to accept any input characters (much more than a lag).

The Applications menu may come up but you can't scan down very far and sometimes the selected App will not open.

Rarely, can I get the Command function working. Ive tried to run DISM but got an error.

I have had a couple of bluescreen stop errors. One during completion of microsoft help survey - Kmode Exception Not Handled, and the other Kernel Data Inpage Error - not sure what I was doing when that happened.

I have been in contact with microsoft support and they ran a reinstall from Windows ISO. It did not achieve improvement. I also did one myself with the same issues. On completion of the re-installs I get a notification to scan drive for errors. When done it usually comes back with Restart to Repair Disc Errors. Nothing is achieved!

I can run Mozilla browser and it works at normal rates. I can run Windows Live Mail and it works a little slower (ie speed of changing functions) than it used to. But it is still more reliable than using the Outlook Mail App. Oh - File manager is a little slower than normal to load but it operates normally once open.

To get to the system functions I need to click the Notifications box to get access via the All Settings button on the bottom.

My wife had similar issues with her desktop last week and that appears to have been resolved with a Windows ISO reinstall. So this tends to suggest a recent update is at issue although all recent updates were apparently successful.

:)

ChrisMcNicol, Feb 20, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 20, 2019
  3. Jumplist sometimes extremely slow

I bought a new laptop with Windows 10 recently.

Only after a few days, the jump lists started to get extremely slow.

But they behave that way just for a while, then they work as they should again.

When slow, it takes several minutes for the jump list to appear. It is extremely annoying. Especially e.g. when I have opened a remote desktop and want to open another one via the jumplist.

I had exactly the same problem with my old Windows 7 PC and assumed that I would get rid of that problem,
    changing both PC and OS, but no.

I do not want the standard answers to this problem:

- Disable Aero

- Clear the (Explorer) Cache for Jump lists

- etc.

It is definitely something else. I mean, how would the jump list cache get full after only a week? And why does the jump list get slow only sometimes and then suddenly works just fine again?

So please, give me an answer that takes this into consideration.

Anders Edvin, Feb 20, 2019
  4. Windows 10 system functions extremely slow and often fail to open

Windows 10 File Explorer is Extremely Slow to Open Photo Files

I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. My computer now seems to be running slower. However, it is extremely slow to open photo files compared to when I was running Windows 7. When I click to open a JPEG file / photo file in Windows 10, File
    Explorer goes into a (not responding) message. It will stay in the not resonding mode for at least 30 seconds to a minute. Then the photo will appear and File Explorer will allow for it to be deleted, moved, copied etc. This makes opening and managing photos
    extremely frustrating. I have been searching the internet for a fix. There appear to be a number of suggestions and fixes out there but nothing I have tried has worked. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Retrob3270, Feb 20, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 system functions extremely slow and often fail to open

1. Windows 10 system functions extremely slow and often fail to open - Similar Threads - system functions extremely

2. Windows 10 is extremely slow

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 is extremely slow: I have no idea why this is. I was running Windows 10 perfectly on my Dell Latitude E7440 but now everything just runs so slowly. I tried resetting my laptop twice but the same errors still persist?? I also attempted to modify the minimum and maximum amounts of ram Windows...
  3. Extremely slow Windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Extremely slow Windows: For some reason my Windows 10 Acer laptop has become extremely slow during the last week or so. I have run the PERFMON /REPORT and see there is a problem which I don't understand and would appreciate help with. Here is a screen print of the report :[ATTACH]...
  4. Windows 10's system restore is *extremely* slow

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10's system restore is *extremely* slow: I am trying to go back to a previous restore point in Windows 10 Home edition (version 1809). In Windows 7 I could use system restore to do that, and it was fast and easy, like less than five minutes. In Windows 10 it takes several hours (not an exaggeration)! What am I doing...
  5. Windows 10 running extremely slow after system restore

Windows 10 running extremely slow after system restore: I had a virus attack sometime back, so then i tried and removed the virus with the help of windows defender and then even did a system restore to the laptop. And since that point of restore my computer have slowed down completely. It takes a lot of time for boot which was...
  6. Windows 10 extremely slow after failed update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 extremely slow after failed update: i am getting overwhemled trying to solve this problem, and I dont know what route to take to try and fix my laptop. It is running very slowly making any attempt to fix it a long process. I do not know what is causing this so i do not know how to attempt to fix it. The issues...
  7. Windows 10 update failed, now laptop extremely slow

Windows 10 update failed, now laptop extremely slow: Hello, I have already posted a similar question to this which was a while ago but I am still in need of assistance. My laptop is extremely slow after it failed updating Windows 10. I do not know what solutions to try. I attempted doing a Clean Install, but was just met with...
  8. Windows 10 extremely slow

Windows 10 extremely slow: Hello, I have problem with my computer speed. It gets so bad that it take me 2min to press start-power-shut down when turning off computer shut be 3s thing. Laptop has intel core i5-4210U, 500GB (only 138 is actually used), 4GB of RAM. Windows 10 Pro is installed and without...
  9. Windows 10 extremely slow after failed update

Windows 10 extremely slow after failed update: i am getting overwhemled trying to solve this problem, and I dont know what route to take to try and fix my laptop. It is running very slowly making any attempt to fix it a long process. I do not know what is causing this so i do not know how to attempt to fix it. The issues...
  10. Adobe Photoshop CS6 print function is extremely slow!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adobe Photoshop CS6 print function is extremely slow!: (*Monitors please note: I wasn't sure if posting here was correct or not so please move to the appropriate location if necessary.) Lately Adobe Photoshop CS6 print function is extremely slow. It takes several minutes to prompt the print window up, then it's very sluggish...