Windows 10: Windows 10 System Image Restore failure with some types of error.

Discus and support Windows 10 System Image Restore failure with some types of error. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a laptop (asus p2420lj (no ssd)) with windows anniversary update version. After i made a system image (on my laptop HDD and on an external HDD)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ARNaja, Oct 6, 2016.

1. ARNaja Win User

Windows 10 System Image Restore failure with some types of error.

I have a laptop (asus p2420lj (no ssd)) with windows anniversary update version. After i made a system image (on my laptop HDD and on an external HDD) i tested it by doing system image restore via "repair your computer" option which is included in my flash drive with older version of windows 10 installation media. First i try using the system image in my internal HDD. The restore process looks OK but when process bar fulled a massage of error "the parameter is incorrect 0x80070057" showed up. So i attempted to do it again but ended up with different error "the system image you selected does not contain bla bla bla". It also happen when i use system image in my external HDD. So i try to "exit and continue to windows 10" but cannot go to start screen and an error showed up with black background or blue background. Anyone know what is the root problem of this?

Ps: i try to repair startup and it succeded. And when i logged in a massage asking me to do "restart to scan for drive errors" popped up and done that process. So i make another system image for backup and when i test it again the problems above happened again.

Please do help me. It's so frustating.

:)

ARNaja, Oct 6, 2016
  2. jj1066 Win User

System Image restore fails: "0x80070057 the parameter is incorrect"

When trying to restore my Windows 10 system disk from a System Image, I received the error message "0x80070057 the parameter is incorrect". The restore was c95% complete at that point and the auto-repair offered by the system could not recover.

After that failure, I could not reboot from the system disk.

After some research, I made a second attempt to restore the System Image and selected the option to repartition the system disk. That attempt failed with the same error message, having almost completed.

I'm:

- running Windows 10 Home Edition with the latest updates applied

- booting from a System Repair CD

- attempting to restore from a 10 day old System Image stored on an internal HDD

- restoring to an internal SSD

I've found several references to the error on this forum and on others too. However, none of the offered solutions seem applicable or accessible in my particular predicament.

Is the situation retrievable by restoring the recent System Image? If so, how would I circumvent this error?

jj1066, Oct 6, 2016
  3. dharge Win User
    System Image failure with error: The system image restore failed. Error details: The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)" on Windows 10

Here's my issue in a nutshell. Had an issue with my HP Envy 17 Leap Motion. I have Windows 8.1 upgraded to 10. Made a system image disk on an external hard drive and sent the unit back to HP for repair. HP had to replace the motherboard and some other small
    issues. Got the system back and attempted to re-load the system image disk and got the following messages - "The system image restore failed. Error details: The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)"

Tried to do a recovery and got this message:

"Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Error code: 0x000000f

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device, contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer."

(btw...I have installation DVD and a USB recovery drive)

Next it was suggested I reset the PC. I got this message:

"The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."

Have no clue how to do that.

I hope I've give you enough information to offer a suggestion.

Original title: System Image failure

dharge, Oct 6, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi ARNaja and welcome to Tenforums.
    Honestly, I would dump the Windows Backup and use Macrium Reflect. Macrium has a free version, is very robust and never fails. The Windows Backup is not to be trusted. *Wink
    Macrium Reflect - Backup Restore - Windows 10 Forums

simrick, Oct 6, 2016
  5. ARNaja Win User
    Thanks for the rep mr simrick. Is it okay to use third party app like that for such a windows problem ? Sorry still a newbie in windows 10 pls dont mind if i ask too much.

ARNaja, Oct 6, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    It's great you're giving thought to system recovery - so many don't.
    3rd party programs are much more flexible and feature rich. Of them Macrium has come to be regarded as more reliable than most. I'd echo Simrick's view- there have been a number of reports of problems with the very basic Backup and Restore offered in Windows.

It is very well supported with updates, an active forum, help and videos.

However it's GUI is a bit daunting at first- the free version doesn't include incremental imaging, but does support differential imaging. It is hard to find where to click to start differential imaging first time!

Make sure you get the program, create a bootable medium (CD or flash drive) and set your boot priority to be able to boot from it and test it, and you'll already have large enough external storage.

In Macrium, click Backup, click Backup Windows
    - backs up all your Windows related partitions.

Then you can image your data disks or partitions if any as well.

dalchina, Oct 6, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    Hi.
    Yes, this particular 3rd-party app is very good, and you will be pleased with the results. Just be sure to read the tutorial thoroughly, and ask any questions before proceeding. We're always here to help. *Smile

simrick, Oct 6, 2016
  8. ARNaja Win User

So much appreciate for your rep dalchina. Well i'm just a newbie in this forum. I just want to learn as much as i can about win 10.
    So the program to initiate backup (use image from macrium backup) all will be included in drive where i put my image backup in ? How many GB approximately needed for an image backup by macrium commonly so i can get flash drive that enough.

Btw, i think as long as i can use image of my backup it's okay for me. Even its diffrential type. But i've searched about incremental storage and some of opinions in the net said that incremental image has corrupted file image risk higher than the differential one. Is that true?

Ps: sorry for my bad english.

ARNaja, Oct 6, 2016
  9. ARNaja Win User
    "Terima kasih banyak" (Thank you so much) for your kindness. As a newbie i do really need information about win 10 as much as i can. I'll try what you suggested to me. So much apprecite.

Ps: sorry for my bad english.

ARNaja, Oct 6, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Restoring from an incremental image means every incremental image back to the base image is used.

Restoring from a differential image means the differential image and the base image are used.

1. Macrium is installed on your PC
    2. You also have a boot medium (e.g. for when the PC is unbootable or restoring the OS partition.
    3. When buying a single backup medium, my recommendation is to buy one twice the total size of the data you are backing up.

Note that images are compressed: the base image is say 50% of the original. Incremental and differential images are much smaller. As time goes by a differential image is, of course bigger than, say, the 4th or 5th incremental.

dalchina, Oct 6, 2016
  11. ARNaja Win User
    My C: drive has about 45GB used space. Will a 64GB usb drive be enough for its image backup?
    How about backing it up in my internal HDD? Or an external HDD? Is it still possible?

ARNaja, Oct 7, 2016
  12. simrick Win User
    Hi.
    I would suggest using an external hard drive. You'd want to have a few images at a time; For instance, you could make weekly images and keep 8 of them at all times. A 45Gb backup will be compressed to about 60-70%. If you have an internal hard drive other than the one your operating system is installed on, you could also back up your images to it. An external might be better though, because you can disconnect it when not in use (protects from infection).

simrick, Oct 7, 2016
  13. ARNaja Win User

Great! So i can have more than one image backup in my external or internal HDD which is unavailable when using windows image backup. I remember windows only support one image in one location and that's make me unable to make more than one variation image backup. About virus infection, is this image made by macrium easy to be infected?

ARNaja, Oct 7, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    If you image your system and your system is infected, the image will contain the virus along with everything else. Conversely, if you have a badly infected system and an image created before the infection - guess what? - you can restore your image recreating a clean system!

dalchina, Oct 7, 2016
  15. ARNaja Win User
    Yup that's the point im doing and studying how to backup from the beginning. Not only because of infection but sometimes when i want to restore system after something unwanted happen to my system. Thanks dalchina.

ARNaja, Oct 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 System Image Restore failure with some types of error. - Similar Threads - System Image Restore

2. System Image Restore Error 0x80070057

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Image Restore Error 0x80070057: I have run into this error 0x80070057 while trying to recover my hard drive after a different blue screen error. The message is that the "parameter is incorrect" paraphrasing as I don't have it in front of me, but the hex error code above is correct.Is there any way to get...
  3. System Image Restore Error 0x80070057

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Image Restore Error 0x80070057: I have run into this error 0x80070057 while trying to recover my hard drive after a different blue screen error. The message is that the "parameter is incorrect" paraphrasing as I don't have it in front of me, but the hex error code above is correct.Is there any way to get...
  4. System Image Restore Error 0x80070057

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. System Image Restore Error

System Image Restore Error: Hello, I have recently purchased a new PC and intended to restore a system image created on my previous PC on the new one. I created recovery media using Windows 10 and ran into an error when restoring from the system image on my external HDD. The error: "system image...
  6. Restoring Windows 10 System Image

Restoring Windows 10 System Image: Is it possible to install recovery media on the same external hard drive as the system image? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restoring-windows-10-system-image/1737c692-1129-4665-ad09-81159c764e5b
  7. Windows 10 system image restore

Windows 10 system image restore: Saved an image of Windows 10 ssd along with data hard drive , attempted to restore using recovery CD, the data drive was copied but the system image restore failed with message 0x80070057 "The parameter is incorrect". I am using two new target drives . I have looked at about...
  8. System restore failure windows 10 error 0x80071160

System restore failure windows 10 error 0x80071160: I want to restore my system on my computer that is running windows 10, but it comes back saying it failed with the error 0x80071160. I've tried different times to restore the system to, but none work. Does anyone has an idea how to fix this? Pepijn...
  9. System restore failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System restore failure: What should the boot mode be for windows 10 on the laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/system-restore-failure/1c7f2a9e-1735-4117-bc0c-572366c239b5
  10. Windows 10 system restore failure

Windows 10 system restore failure: I accidentally deleted a big folder with a lot of my files in it and I am trying to restore to a point where it wasn't deleted which is last Saturday. But i get this error: System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not...