Windows 10: Windows 10 "System" process is excessively using my disk usage

Discus and support Windows 10 "System" process is excessively using my disk usage in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I found out something weird just a week after an update, the System process ntoskrnl.exe is excessively using my hard disk process but sometimes it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by orang, Mar 26, 2020.

1. orang Win User

Windows 10 "System" process is excessively using my disk usage

I found out something weird just a week after an update, the System process ntoskrnl.exe is excessively using my hard disk process but sometimes it won't effect the performance and most of the time does effect so i wonder what making this process using so much of the hard disk usage?

Specs:

Intel Core i5 8250U Mobile

NVIDIA GeForce GT 940MX Mobile

12GB DDR4 RAM 4+8

ST1000LM035-1RK172 1TB HDD

:)

orang, Mar 26, 2020

2. High Disk Usage Due to "System" Process?

Hi,

There are different factors that can affect the performance of your Windows 10 device. This includes recent updates, device drivers that need to be updated and much more. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions below:

• Were there any changes made or updates installed prior to the issue occurring?
    • Were you able to verify which system process was having a high disk usage?
    • Which version and build of Windows 10 is installed on your device?

As an initial recommendation, you can follow the steps on this
    link
    in there order they are posted to improve the performance of your device.

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Mar 26, 2020
  3. system process high cpu usage

Hello,

To fix high CPU usage issue, please refer these steps:

Try to identify the process creating this issue.

Download Process Explorer from Microsoft:

Process Explorer - Windows Sysinternals

Run the tool then select the system process, right-click and select Properties.

Switch to the Threads tab. This will show which file is using the excessive CPU usage, from which you can then attempt to diagnose it.

Also refer: [FIX] Windows 10 High CPU Usage Problem

Let us know if this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Kapil Arya MVP, Mar 26, 2020
  4. Windows 10 "System" process is excessively using my disk usage

Windows 10 100% Disk Usage on startup.

Hi,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: First of all, take a note of the processes or applications that is running when the computer runs with high disk usage. Also, we need to find the applications that are running at startup.

Follow the steps to check for the processes under Task Manager:

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager.
    • Click on Processes tab. Check if any of the processes consumes high memory usage.
    Bad sectors on the hard drive can be a cause for high disk usage.

Check which process is utilizing the Hard Disk on Windows 8.1, you may try the following steps.

• Open Task Manager and click on
      Details tab.
    • Right click the columns headers and click "Select Columns".
    • From the "Select Columns" window, check: I/O Reads, I/O Writes, I/O read bytes, I/O write bytes and then click
      OK.
    • Now the columns will be added to the view and will display how much each process is utilizing from the hard disk.
    • Sort by I/O read bytes or I/O write bytes by clicking on the column header to see which process is utilizing the Hard Drive most.

Step 2: If you have not run the 'check disk' scan or tried optimizing the drive, follow the steps from this article.

Improve performance by optimizing your drive

(Note: This applies to Windows 10 also.)

Important: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, it tries to repair that sector and any data available on that might be lost.

Hope it helps. Feel free to get back to us for any further queries or issues related to Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 "System" process is excessively using my disk usage

1. Windows 10 "System" process is excessively using my disk usage - Similar Threads - System process excessively

2. Excessive Data Usage by Windows System

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excessive Data Usage by Windows System: Why is Windows System using excessive data? Over the past month it downloaded close to 4 terabytes of data. Over 75% of this was downloaded in the past 7 days. When I checked my real-time network utilization it showed that consistently that "Service Host: Network Service -...
  3. Excessive Data Usage by Windows System

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Excessive Data Usage by Windows System: Why is Windows System using excessive data? Over the past month it downloaded close to 4 terabytes of data. Over 75% of this was downloaded in the past 7 days. When I checked my real-time network utilization it showed that consistently that "Service Host: Network Service -...
  4. 100% disk usage by ntoskrnl.exe SYSTEM Process

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% disk usage by ntoskrnl.exe SYSTEM Process: Im having trouble with ntoskrnl.exe , this process taking alot of my disk usage , almost 100%, this always happend when im playing or run a heavy app, my windows version is 21H2 Home Single Language, please help me it verry laggy :Specs:Laptop acer z1401-c9jzCpu : Celeron...
  5. High "system" process disk usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High "system" process disk usage: I am having this issue from yesterday. My computer suddenly slow down. I went to task manager and saw system process at top of task manager window. I tried lot of stuff and did not work. I updated windows some days ago. I need help ASAP cause I use this computer for class....
  6. 100% disk usage beacuse of System process

100% disk usage beacuse of System process: ShareX lagged beacuse of disk usage, so I got only the one with 99% one, look at Figure 1.Why it uses my entire disk, it makes the entire system not usable at all beacuse of lag.But not everytime, sometime it drops to 0%-50% Figure 2, and then blows up to 100% Figure...
  7. System process High Disk or CPU usage on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    System process High Disk or CPU usage on Windows 10: The System process can be viewed as a special kind of process that hosts threads that only run in kernel mode. Its related file name is ntoskrnl.exe and it is located in C:\Windows\System32\ folder. It is responsible for various system services such as hardware abstraction,...
  8. My"system" process using high disk usage while playing games

My"system" process using high disk usage while playing games: Since two or three weeks I am facing 100% disk usage while playing games.After opening games like valorant,apex legend , and many more games my pc becomes fully hang even though its gaming pc.I dont use hhd alsi uae ssd but also i am facing this annoying problem.I tried...
  9. System process using 100% disk on Windows 10

System process using 100% disk on Windows 10: After I had installed a new hard drive in my computer, factory installed Windows 10 on the drive, and updated to Windows 20H2 along with installing other drivers, I began to notice that the System process was using 100% of the disk. At first I thought that Windows was doing...
  10. "System" process causing 100% disk usage.

"System" process causing 100% disk usage.: I have a strange problem past few months. My laptop is slow in boot and has performance issues although my CPU, GPU and memory usage never hits above 50% but the process "system" utilizes about 15mb-30mb in hdd and therefore my disk usage is never under 90%. Step I have...