Windows 10: Windows 10 System Restore and Data Partition

Discus and support Windows 10 System Restore and Data Partition in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Firstly, I know System Restore is not terribly reliable, but it has worked well for me (mostly) in the past and so it's often my first resort when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Pacman23, May 4, 2021.

1. Pacman23 Win User

Windows 10 System Restore and Data Partition

Firstly, I know System Restore is not terribly reliable, but it has worked well for me (mostly) in the past and so it's often my first resort when weird things happen. That being said, I do make regular images and clones with Macrium Reflect to disks in several USB enclosures as my main safety net. Just asking what may be a stupid question - my SDD is partitioned C: for OS and Programs, D: for Data. Is there any value in having Windows System Restore enabled for the Data partition? I can't imagine that there is, but I'd be grateful for an opinion from someone with more experience. I have googled for an answer without success. Thanks. WinVer 10 Pro 1909 (yes, I know I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade shortly!)

:)

Pacman23, May 4, 2021

2. Help! Data partition not showing under my computer

This is happening on a windows 2000 server. Our second partition of the system, for data is not showing under my computer. Here are the properties of it in disk management:

Windows 10 System Restore and Data Partition partition.jpg

Now under logical drives its listed as F and shows free space available.

Suggestions on how to fix this?

Hybrid_theory, May 4, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User

System Restore actually monitors a list of file types - see:
    System Restore Windows 10
    I don't believe there is a way of amending those, and you'll note the ones that typically exist as users 'data' or personal files are excluded of course, which is why SR (when restoring succeeds) is a useful complement to disk imaging.

If the file types on your data disk are not being monitored, it follows SR has no significance for that disk.

dalchina, May 4, 2021
  4. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 System Restore and Data Partition - Similar Threads - System Restore Data

2. System restore partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore partition: I'm going to delete the default partition table on an old Surface Pro see first image.Now, there are six partitions and the last one /dev/sda6 should be the one to save if I want to restore factory settings see second image.Link to images: https://imgur.com/a/vjfTZdLI can...
  3. System restore partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore partition: I'm going to delete the default partition table on an old Surface Pro see first image.Now, there are six partitions and the last one /dev/sda6 should be the one to save if I want to restore factory settings see second image.Link to images: https://imgur.com/a/vjfTZdLI can...
  4. System restore partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Restoring efi SYSTEM partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring efi SYSTEM partition: Currently if I restore only one partition at a time with Acronis the efi SYSTEM partition is missing some data, side note restoring whole drive works however.But my question is:If I used bcdedit /export c:\bcd.bak first and latter on a blank formatted 260MB formatted fat32...
  6. Restoring of system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring of system reserved partition: Hello,During migration of the Windows 10 to a new SSD I forgot to migrate a system reserved partition. And now I have permanent error 0x800f0922 during installing updates. Also this issue prevents me from upgrade to Windows 11.How I can restore this partition? Excluding...
  7. Restoring of system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restoring of system reserved partition: Hello,During migration of the Windows 10 to a new SSD I forgot to migrate a system reserved partition. And now I have permanent error 0x800f0922 during installing updates. Also this issue prevents me from upgrade to Windows 11.How I can restore this partition? Excluding...
  8. Restoring of system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Restore Windows system & files only from windows data partition no recovery/boot partitions

Restore Windows system & files only from windows data partition no recovery/boot partitions: So I made an oopsie. A big one. TL;DR: I have a partition on a hard drive with all my Windows files Program Files, PrefLogs, Windows, Users, etc.. It is the only partition on the hard drive no boot/recovery. I need to move that partition, or at least the data on it, to...
  10. Restore data to new partition

Restore data to new partition: I have a new laptop with two partitions, one C: (ssd) for programfiles and and one A: (trad. harddisk). I want to install the data from my old computer C: but there is no way of choosing A: using restore with "History file". I have the backup on a external hard disk. What...