Windows 10: Windows 10 System Restore Failed and Safe Mode Unavailable

Discus and support Windows 10 System Restore Failed and Safe Mode Unavailable in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Yesterday I could never get past my Windows login screen. I would enter my pin and it would freeze, so I did shift restart and uninstalled the latest... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MicrosoftSuperFanMan, May 11, 2020.

1. Windows 10 System Restore Failed and Safe Mode Unavailable

Yesterday I could never get past my Windows login screen. I would enter my pin and it would freeze, so

I did shift restart and uninstalled the latest quality update. That did no fix the problem, so I tried to uninstall the latest feature update but that always failed. Then I tried to run an automatic fix but that failed. Then I managed to login to SafeMode and I tried to uninstall Python 3.8 64 bit because before the problem started I had installed it, but I chose not to select the restart option for several hours because I wanted to do some work before restarted. Eventually Google Chrome was using like 3 GB of RAM and would not close, so I restarted. I don't recall if I just did a restart or if I had to pull the plug. When I tried to uninstall anything I got an error saying that Windows Installer was not working and nothing could be removed.

I did a system restore but that made things worse. Now I can't even access Safe Mode because I get a blue screen saying that the system did not start properly. It is not a BSOD, but the advanced options blue screen. I tried another system restore but every time it says it fails for different reasons. There are two restore points available. The most recent says it cannot finish restoring the registry and the older one says a file cannot be opened, something in Program Files called Crypto, I checked to see if that was a virus, but it is a normal Windows program.

I am using a Macintosh I borrowed to write this. How do I proceed if I can't do a system restore? I want to keep my data, all of it, so I can't do clean install. I also do not have a CD or USB to help with this process.

I had HP do an automatic backup to an external drive, but I can't manually select files using their backup tool without it freezing. I am hoping that I don't have to have HP do a full recovery because anything they did not back up automatically will be lost. Right now HP is doing a "System Extensive Test." All appears normal so far.

:)

MicrosoftSuperFanMan, May 11, 2020
  2. Mark Isi Win User

Failed to complete System Restore

Hello Passegua,

The error code 0x80070005 may indicate a few things that are causing System Restore Failure. It could be corrupted system files, conflict with other programs such as Anti-virus protection, and etc. As a first troubleshooting step, we suggest
    that you perform System restore in Safe Mode. Kindly refer to this link for more information and steps.

Another step that I can suggest is Clean Boot, if the above step fails.

Let us know the outcome.

Mark Isi, May 11, 2020
  3. Safe mode problem

Hi,

To get better clarity on the issue, kindly answer the questions below:

• By saying that you have a "Safe mode problem," did you mean to say that your computer is stuck in Safe mode or are you unable to boot it to Safe mode?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you attempted to resolve your concern?

If this is caused by recent programs installed on your computer, then we suggest you to run
    System Restore to revert your system files to an earlier date. To run System Restore, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R on your keyboard.
    • On the run command box, type "RSTRUI.EXE" and hit enter.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.

Make sure that you choose the restore point date when your computer was working fine. Please be advised that programs and applications installed on your computer after the restore point will be removed.

Let us know how it goes.

Monica Cam, May 11, 2020
  4. Xylee Del Win User

Windows 10 System Restore Failed and Safe Mode Unavailable

Stuck in safe mode in windows 10

Safe mode is intended to help fix most, if not all problems within an operating system, it's not good if we got stuck on it. To correct this, we suggest that you follow the steps below to exit out of Safe mode:

• Open Run command by pressing Windows key + R
      keys on the keyboard and type msconfig in the command box and press
      Enter.
    • Under General tab, put a check on Normal Startup option.
    • Reboot the system and check if the changes are effective.

Let us know if you are able to exit out of Safe mode with these steps.

Xylee Del, May 11, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 System Restore Failed and Safe Mode Unavailable

1. Windows 10 System Restore Failed and Safe Mode Unavailable - Similar Threads - System Restore Failed

2. .Pin unavailable can't boot in safe mode

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    .Pin unavailable can't boot in safe mode: I am locked out of Windows with the 'something went wrong and pin unavallable' messsage. Can't reset pin on login screen and don't know password. Safe mode not working, returns to the screen asking for password so I'm stuck in a loop...
  3. .Pin unavailable can't boot in safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .Pin unavailable can't boot in safe mode: I am locked out of Windows with the 'something went wrong and pin unavallable' messsage. Can't reset pin on login screen and don't know password. Safe mode not working, returns to the screen asking for password so I'm stuck in a loop...
  4. Safe Mode unavailable and System Configuration boot tab inoperable

in Windows 10 Customization
    Safe Mode unavailable and System Configuration boot tab inoperable: Hello All I need some technical advice to resolve an issue where safe mode is inoperable on my windows installation, and the only information I have available as to what could be wrong is an error code d000000f. I encountered that error code after trying to manually...
  5. Is it safe to system restore?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it safe to system restore?: I was messing around with a couple newly installed programs (Malewarebytes and VirtualBox) and I noticed my File Explorer was acting strangely. Simple tasks such as renaming folders on my desktop took a couple seconds to finalize, and deleting empty folders even opened a...
  6. Windows fails to boot, can boot in safe mode but can't do a successful system restore or...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows fails to boot, can boot in safe mode but can't do a successful system restore or...: Hi All, One day my computer crashed while gaming and since then windows will not boot. It will have the windows ten loader come up with the blue windows and then fail black screen or on occasion make it to the blue recovery screen. From there we have tried the command...
  7. Factory restore in safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Factory restore in safe mode: Unknowingly I did a factory restore in safe mode. And now I am unable to sign in to my computer or get anything to come up as far as Windows 10 goes. I just get an error message informing me it can’t finish install in safe mode. My command prompt comes up as X:Windows/system...
  8. Windows 10 System restore with not work even in Safe mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 System restore with not work even in Safe mode: Windows 10 System restore with not work even in Safe mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-system-restore-with-not-work-even-in/4dd00f2d-c54f-4152-bf55-ad00cc01278f
  9. Automatic repair loop, no safe mode, no system restore

in Windows 10 Support
    Automatic repair loop, no safe mode, no system restore: I'm not sure if this is the right section for this thread, if not I apologize. A couple of nights ago my computer was in the process of going to sleep and it decided instead it wanted to crash. I restarted it the next morning and was greeted by the screen telling me that...
  10. System Restore in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore in Safe Mode: Hi all, Okay, this is the first time I ran System Restore and not sure if it worked or not. I had an incompatibility issue with the system and figured I'll revert back to a previous configuration that worked. Using the regular method always gave an error and saying...