Windows 10: Windows 10 system stops responding, requires power cycling.

Discus and support Windows 10 system stops responding, requires power cycling. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Every once in a while, the windows 10 system sort of stops responding. By that I mean, the keyboard and mouse still work and I can sort of do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by os2firefox, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Windows 10 system stops responding, requires power cycling.

Every once in a while, the windows 10 system sort of stops responding.

By that I mean, the keyboard and mouse still work and I can sort of do somethings like: - open explorer and browse each drive - start cmd from a desktop shortcut icon

But there are many things I cannot do: - start applications from the taskbar - chrome, steam, anything (never show up) - start taskmanager (never shows up) - shutdown or restart computer (gets stuck in restarting... phase)

Using cmd > tasklist, I have noticed that the processes for the applications are there, but the gui does not show up. I also cannot use taskkill to end them.

I have reinstalled Windows 10 on a brand new ssd and the problem remains. It usually occurs when I leave the pc running for a long time. Once it gets to that state, no more logs are written to event viewer and nothing really stands out. I am at a loss about what the problem could be other than Windows 10 mysteriously screwing up.

:)

os2firefox, Jan 8, 2017
  2. TX_Dave Win User

Windows 10 loaded, clicked NEXT to set up the system, nothing but flashing screen

Windows 10 loaded on my ASUS S56CA laptop and stopped at a screen where it asked if I was the correct user as well as offering a NEXT icon. I clicked the NEXT icon and the system started to set up Windows 10, and then started to endlessly flash the screen.
    The system does respond to any keystrokes. I cycled power and the system repeated the same behavior.

TX_Dave, Jan 8, 2017
  3. Windows 10 sometimes stops responding, requires re-start ?

Please provide more information so that the cause of your problem may be diagnosed.

Please restart your computer and allow 20 minutes for the system to run before uploading information required to help me investigate your problem. When examining Event Viewer log files many, not all, problems show in the period immediately after
    the computer has been booted.

Please provide a copy of your System Information file. To access your System Information file select the keyboard shortcut
    Win+R, type msinfo32
    and click OK . Place the cursor on
    System Summary. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Click Save.
    Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file.
    The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two
    for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here. If the report is in a language other than English, please state the language.

Please upload to your OneDrive and share with everyone a copy of your
    System log file from your Event Viewer and post a link here. Please remove any earlier copies of the logs from your OneDrive.

To access the System log select the keyboard shortcut Win+R, type
    eventvwr.msc and press the ENTER key. From the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and
    Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do
    not provide filtered files. Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do
    not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

gerrys template

Gerry C J Cornell, Jan 8, 2017
  4. Windows 10 system stops responding, requires power cycling.

I have a similar issue, however i can't even open the start menu to bring up the CMD prompt. The only thing I can do is use the mouse.
    I've tried reverting my system, tried re-installing my system on a different HDD as well... same thing still occurs.
    I use my computer for work and study, so I can't really afford this type of thing happening!

DarethMortuus, Jan 9, 2017
  5. Just out of curiosity, have you just tried waiting? I'm not offering that as a solution - rather a diagnostic step. I have what sounds like a similar problem once or twice a week. It usually happens within 30 minutes of startup (either clean power on or waking from sleep). If I wait long enough (like from 5 to 30 minutes) it will eventually start, but I seldom have the patience. If I do wait, all the things I tried starting will suddenly start up all at once.

If I force a power off and reboot it will hang again about half the time. Trying again usually works.

I haven't thought of a good way to diagnose this. I keep hoping some maintenance will magically fix it, but that has not happened yet.

pokeefe0001, Jan 11, 2017
  6. I tried waiting up to 15 minutes and did a hard reset after nothing was happening

os2firefox, Jan 11, 2017
  7. I have had the same problem here as well, for the past three days out of the blue. I load up my laptop (Windows 10) log in screen is fine but as soon as I sign into the start up menu and when it loads the desktop it freezes in about a few minutes, other times instantly.
    When it freezes the whole system, even the mouse and keyboard, becomes unresponsive. If I wait and leave it running even for half an hour or an hour, the system does not recover...
    Every time I turn it on I have to turn it off again because it keeps freezing and then my problem just comes back after next log in.

AzureHedgehog, Jan 11, 2017
  8. Windows 10 system stops responding, requires power cycling.

I could be way off base, but I think yours must be a different problem. In the problem described here, the mouse and keyboard still work. It might be worth your time to start a new thread. (You could add to the "Freeze" thread, but that thread is well over 800 posts long. It's impossible to keep its multiple sub-threads straight. your problem is likely to get lost.)

pokeefe0001, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 system stops responding, requires power cycling.

1. Windows 10 system stops responding, requires power cycling. - Similar Threads - system stops responding

2. System instantly stops responding.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System instantly stops responding.: Hello guys, I recently got the terrible problem with my pc. After playing games for a while my computer instantly stops responding to anything. Pressing keyboard or mouse is pointless. When it happens I can't do anything except pressing the turn off button. Then the strange...
  3. System instantly stops responding.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System instantly stops responding.: Hello guys, I recently got the terrible problem with my pc. After playing games for a while my computer instantly stops responding to anything. Pressing keyboard or mouse is pointless. When it happens I can't do anything except pressing the turn off button. Then the strange...
  4. Windows 10: Windows rapidly cycle between responding and not responding.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10: Windows rapidly cycle between responding and not responding.: I recently rebuilt a number of computers from scratch using the 20H1 x64 version. Now, on every one of them, I am having a problem with windows rapidly cycling between responding and not responding. All of the computers had previously been running 20H1 X64, installed as an...
  5. bsod, hanging, power cycling

bsod, hanging, power cycling: Hey! So, today has been a rollercoaster of issues everything was fine yday Started off with a nice warming BSOD - irql not less or equal into sys service exception win32kbase.sys right after system rebooted itself. Then everything was fun for a while, until PC froze...
  6. how to stop office apps from the not responding cycling

how to stop office apps from the not responding cycling: does anyone know how to stop office apps from the not responding cycling it does every time it is opened, changed and printed. it takes forever to do my work. please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-responding/08087de2-8233-420c-92e3-d4fda4929378
  7. windows 10 stops responding

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows 10 stops responding: [ATTACH] So I have malwarebytes and I don't think it's a virus issue Sometimes my computer STOPS responding completely When I hover over the taskbar icons it doesn't respond and my clicks don't work (mouse/integrated trackpad) The only fix I have now is...
  8. Windows system stops responding,

Windows system stops responding,: as it says up above my system littrely stops responding at times. Since i made a clean sweap to reinstall my windows 10 it updated to patch 1903. And since the update. the system is lagging like crazy i reinsralled it twice bit the same problem accur. I had no problems...
  9. Windows 10 The System is not Responding

Windows 10 The System is not Responding: I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7.Everything is fine EXCEPT OFTEN A MESSAGE COMES IN WINDOWS PAGE FROM MICROSOFT THAT THE SYSTEM IS NOT RESPONDING.EITHER YOU END THE PROCESS OR WAIT FOR THE PROGRAMME TO RESPOND.AT THE SAME TIME ALL BROWSERS ie...
  10. windows 10 power and sleep not responding

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    windows 10 power and sleep not responding: windows 10 will not allow selection of fast start up option https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-power-and-sleep-not-responding/b6a88fe8-5c6b-44fd-8c50-3861440c4f4d