Windows 10: Windows 10 system tray icon spacing keeps "flickering" between touchscreen and non-touch...

Discus and support Windows 10 system tray icon spacing keeps "flickering" between touchscreen and non-touch... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I have a 2-in-1 HP Spectre x360 with a touchscreen. Recently I acquired a non-touch desktop monitor, and now I often use the PC with the lid... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by LeoHCB, Apr 19, 2020.

1. LeoHCB Win User

Windows 10 system tray icon spacing keeps "flickering" between touchscreen and non-touch...

Hi,

I have a 2-in-1 HP Spectre x360 with a touchscreen. Recently I acquired a non-touch desktop monitor, and now I often use the PC with the lid closed, with the non-touch monitor as the only screen.

When I do that, I get a very annoying bug where the spacing between the system tray icons keeps changing between "touchscreen mode" and "non-touch" mode. This happens as often as every few seconds, to as often as every minute or so. Needless to say, very distracting!

I found a work-around here: https://windowsforum.com/threads/system-tray-notification-area-icon-width.212626/, which however involves disabling the touchscreen. Then the flickering stops, but when I use the PC laptop screen itself, guess what... touchscreen not working of couse.

Is this a known bug? Is there a fix available where I don't need to manually disable my touchscreen?

Thanks,

Leo.

:)

LeoHCB, Apr 19, 2020
  2. MHDante Win User

System tray icon spacing in WIndows 10

I had this problem when I installed TouchMote. The problem is that the TouchMote serves as a touch emulator and tells your PC that it is using a touch screen. When in touch mode, Windows spaces out the system tray (and other UI) so that you misclick icons
    less. I had to follow the steps here:

Windows 10: Disable touchscreen

But I'm noting that while this did not prevent TouchMote from working, it may stop your software from working. (Also, if you have a touchscreen, it won't work)

MHDante, Apr 19, 2020
  3. System tray icon spacing in WIndows 10

Hi Jason,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing some issue regarding Window 10 system tray icons. Let me help you.

I suggest you to go through the answer provided by Shawn ‘Cmdr’ Keene
    and check.

Click on,
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/tray-icons-reduce-spacing/93991e6b-5c53-4df5-af4e-3bdf3fde17fe

I hope the information helps. If you have further queries, please reply with the details. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Aswin_Anand, Apr 19, 2020
  4. Try3 Win User

Windows 10 system tray icon spacing keeps "flickering" between touchscreen and non-touch...

How to reduce system tray icon spacing?

xips,

Thanks, I'll experiment with it. Oh & thanks for the links as well, they are interesting.

And adding in elevation using one of the links you provided gives this as the final result [tested a few times already and it seems reliable] -

# Escalate privileges if not admin
    If (-not ([Security.Principal.WindowsPrincipal][Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity]::GetCurrent()).IsInRole([Security.Principal.WindowsBuiltInRole] "Administrator")) {
    $Arguments = "& '" + $MyInvocation.mycommand.definition + "'"
    Start-Process powershell -Verb runAs -ArgumentList $Arguments
    Break
    }
    $TouchScreen = Get-PnpDevice -FriendlyName 'HID-Compliant Touch Screen'
    if ( $TouchScreen.Status -eq 'OK' ) { $TouchScreen | Disable-PnpDevice -confirm:$false } else { $TouchScreen | Enable-PnpDevice -confirm:$false }

The system tray icon spacing does close up / open up as the touchscreen is disabled / re-enabled.

Denis

Thema:

1. Windows 10 system tray icon spacing keeps "flickering" between touchscreen and non-touch... - Similar Threads - system tray icon

2. Windows 11 System Tray Icon Spacing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 System Tray Icon Spacing: I logged in one morning and the spacing of all the icons in my system tray has doubled. I can't recall whether there was a small Windows update that morning or not. I've searched online for a solution, but I've either found suggestion for 3rd party software no thanks or...
  3. Windows 11 System Tray Icon Spacing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 System Tray Icon Spacing: I logged in one morning and the spacing of all the icons in my system tray has doubled. I can't recall whether there was a small Windows update that morning or not. I've searched online for a solution, but I've either found suggestion for 3rd party software no thanks or...
  4. System Tray icons keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Customization
    System Tray icons keep disappearing: A lot of system tray icons are disappearing by themselves, usually when I launch a game and then exit. For example, I use the SpyderXPro program to load my color profile. Sometimes the color profile resets and I'll have to manually right click the SpyderXPro icon and then...
  5. Gap between icons in system tray

Gap between icons in system tray: Hello,I'm having trouble with a very annoying quirk in Windows 10. Below is a screenshot of my notification area on the taskbar with only the clock and power icons selected. The spacing looks normal and this is ultimately what I want, albeit with all icons that I want to show...
  6. Gap between icons in system tray

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gap between icons in system tray: Hello,I'm having trouble with a very annoying quirk in Windows 10. Below is a screenshot of my notification area on the taskbar with only the clock and power icons selected. The spacing looks normal and this is ultimately what I want, albeit with all icons that I want to show...
  7. Gap between icons in system tray

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. dead-space between tray icons and toolbars

dead-space between tray icons and toolbars: i just noticed on all 3 of my workstations that there is a new section of "dead space" between my toolbars and tray icons.moving/reordering the tray icons doesn nothing...they just re-sort and stay to the right end.and the toolbars are immovable. i can turn on 1 or 2 or 3 or...
  9. How to reduce system tray icon spacing?

How to reduce system tray icon spacing?: My Windows 10 system tray looks like http://puu.sh/jB7xz/a2efac640e.png for both large or small taskbar icons. The spacing between systray icons are larger than in previous versions of Windows. Nearly everyone's screenshots of W10 have systrays that are more like...
  10. USB icon flickering in system tray

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB icon flickering in system tray: Seems to be fixed now. All I did was play around with the "keyboard and language" settings and rebooted and the flickering stopped. Thanks for everyones help.