Windows 10: Windows 10 Takes 4 hours to boot on a SSD

Discus and support Windows 10 Takes 4 hours to boot on a SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, before I start, here’s my hardware info: Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 Ryzen 5 3600 G.Skill Sniper X 8GB (single stick) RTX 2060 Super rm550 860... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mark520fay35, May 4, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Takes 4 hours to boot on a SSD

Hello, before I start, here’s my hardware info:
    Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4
    Ryzen 5 3600
    G.Skill Sniper X 8GB (single stick)
    RTX 2060 Super
    rm550
    860 Evo 1TB

I’m currently having an issue where Windows 10 would take literally 4 hours to boot, as shown here https://youtu.be/x8HBZc_-nOs

I’ve tried repair-install, memtest86, chkdsk, dism, sfc, installing chipset/motherboard drivers, downclocking CPU/memory, resetting and updating BIOS, and I’m pretty much concluding this to be a software issue.

I'm a producer, and reinstalling Windows would mean that I’d have to reinstall and reauthenticate hundreds of audio plugins.

I'm willing to provide event viewer information, dumps, and anything helpful to debug this issue.
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

:)

mark520fay35, May 4, 2020
  2. Jborg Win User

windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

10 Tips for SSD Optimization in Windows 7 - Part 1

Looks to be similar to this: SSD Optimization for your Windows Gaming PC and Tips and Tricks

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, May 4, 2020
  3. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, May 4, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Takes 4 hours to boot on a SSD

Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, May 4, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Takes 4 hours to boot on a SSD

1. Windows 10 Takes 4 hours to boot on a SSD - Similar Threads - Takes hours boot

2. Booting Windows takes hours...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting Windows takes hours...: Short question:What does that mean, what can I do? Is this an update and I just have to wait? But it has yet been booting for hours... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/booting-windows-takes-hours/70673c92-6e92-44ca-a98f-54cb91cbea75
  3. Booting Windows takes hours...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting Windows takes hours...: Short question:What does that mean, what can I do? Is this an update and I just have to wait? But it has yet been booting for hours... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/booting-windows-takes-hours/70673c92-6e92-44ca-a98f-54cb91cbea75
  4. taking many hours to boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    taking many hours to boot: hiwin10 is taking many hours to boot , it takes nearly an hour or so at each stage. yesterday it was slightl5 faster .its been for about 5 hours showing blank desktop, blue loading circle and a partly populated task bar 'clock/date and ms brower search windowyesterday it ran...
  5. taking many hours to boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    taking many hours to boot: hiwin10 is taking many hours to boot , it takes nearly an hour or so at each stage. yesterday it was slightl5 faster .its been for about 5 hours showing blank desktop, blue loading circle and a partly populated task bar 'clock/date and ms brower search windowyesterday it ran...
  6. taking many hours to boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows takes up to an hour to boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows takes up to an hour to boot: I have reinstalled Windows on this machine, which solved the problem for a couple weeks. The computer itself works with no issue after it's up and running. It's still on an HDD, which doesn't appear to have errors, but I'll run a chkdsk to be sure. I've changed the SATA cable...
  8. Windows 10 takes upwards of a couple hours to boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 takes upwards of a couple hours to boot: My PC has been having issues with booting for the last month or two. Sometimes when i start up i get the spinning dots for 30 minutes to an hour to this last time it took over 2 hours just to reach the login screen. I checked SFC the first time and i got several errors...
  9. Windows 10 Takes 4 hours to boot on a SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Takes 4 hours to boot on a SSD: Hello, before I start, here’s my hardware info: Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 Ryzen 5 3600 G.Skill Sniper X 8GB (single stick) RTX 2060 Super rm550 860 Evo 1TB I’m currently having an issue where Windows 10 would take literally 4 hours to boot, as shown here...
  10. Boot up takes 2 hours!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Boot up takes 2 hours!: Alright so after long hours of research I have narrowed down y problem. Long story short I messed with the permissions of my C:\Windows directory and sure enough it has caused issues. Now my computer when powering on will show a light blue screen with spinning dots for hours...