Windows 10: Windows 10 takes a long time to shutdown

Discus and support Windows 10 takes a long time to shutdown in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi. I right click the windows icon and then click shutdown or sign out then click shut down and nothing happens sometimes for 20 to 30 seconds. I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MichaelBallock1618, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Windows 10 takes a long time to shutdown

Hi.

I right click the windows icon and then click shutdown or sign out then click shut down and nothing happens sometimes for 20 to 30 seconds. I can still use the computer in that time and then eventually I get the shut down screen with the rotating dots and the computer goes through its shut down process. The time between clicking shut down and the shutdown screen can vary from 2-3 seconds to over 30. This started happening about a couple of months ago. any suggestions?

:)

MichaelBallock1618, Dec 14, 2020
  2. ABY
    aby Win User

Long shutdown and restart time in Windows 10

Hi all,

I recently got Dell Inspiron 15-5577 Gaming i5 Model without SSD with Windows 10 single language installed. Current version installed is 1709 Build16299.309. If I restart my computer it takes 4-5 minutes and even the shutdown time is 3-4 minutes. I have already clean installed the OS so that all the bloatware is removed. Haven't installed any Antivirus program. Have already set waittokill to 1000, tried turning Fast startup off and make changes to registry but nothing worked.

Here's the screenshot of event log of Boot performance monitoring and shutdown performance monitoring.

Windows 10 takes a long time to shutdown [​IMG]

I'm really disappointed with this since my 7 years old desktop with 4 GB RAM and Dual Core processor running Windows 7 boots and shutdown faster than this machine.

Thank you

3. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Dec 14, 2020
  4. zinou Win User

Windows 10 takes a long time to shutdown

Long shutdown and restart time in Windows 10

In the boot trace you sent I don't see 10 minutes delay !

Your desktop is shown after 20s from the boot.
    The only phase that takes long is the post-boot phase, due to high CPU utilization by the sppvsc.exe service (Software Protection Service). this programs checks for genuine Microsoft programs on your computer. if it detects a pirated software it can make your CPU to slow down.

Now my question is where are you experiencing the 10 minutes delays? is that happens during the bios boot phase that doesn't occur in the boot trace?
    to check the bios boot time, open the task manager and go to the startup page:

zinou, Dec 14, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 takes a long time to shutdown

1. Windows 10 takes a long time to shutdown - Similar Threads - takes long shutdown

2. Windows 10 takes an exaggerated long time to restart and shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 takes an exaggerated long time to restart and shutdown: Hello. I have a 6th Generation Intel Core i5 CPU, a GeForce RTX 20 Series GPU and 16 GB RAM on a 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor. OS: Windows 10 Pro; Version: 20H2; OS build: 19042.685 And I have the following issues: 1. Windows restart time takes approx....
  3. It is taking a long time to download windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    It is taking a long time to download windows 10: I am downloading Windows 10 to my Mac to put it on a drive to plug into my new computer. I started it at 1 in the morning and it is only on 53 mb. What can I do to make it faster? It says it is going to take a week....
  4. Windows 10 Laptop takes too long to shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Laptop takes too long to shutdown: Of late whenever I shutdown my laptop, it takes so long to completely shutdown. So when I shutdown , everything seems fine and the screen turns off, but the laptop itself is still on, implying its still shutting down. Earlier on it took only seconds before it completely...
  5. Windows 10 takes a long time to boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 takes a long time to boot: So, I've encountered this issue lately where Windows 10 takes considerably longer to boot than before. (Usually 4 to 5 minutes) It used to boot under 30 seconds before so I don't know what went wrong here. So, the screen with the Windows logo and loading circle...
  6. Windows 10 takes long time to reboot, shutdown and/or logout.

Windows 10 takes long time to reboot, shutdown and/or logout.: My laptop has windows 10 enterprise 64bit build 1703 and it is on company domain and bitlocker encryption is enabled on SSD. Sometime but not all the time, laptop takes long time to reboot, shutdown and/or logout. Did the sfc scan and found nothing. An interesting thing I...
  7. Windows Boot/Shutdown randomly taking a long time.

Windows Boot/Shutdown randomly taking a long time.: Hi. I installed Windows 10 Pro on my new computer (self-built) the other week. It's been running very nicely, very very quick. Well, it all seemed to be working OK at least, until a few days ago it randomly started to hang when I was shutting the computer down. And it's done...
  8. Windows 10 takes a LONG time to login

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 takes a LONG time to login: A couple weeks ago, my Windows 10 computer started taking a LONG time to login. The times have been going up and down, with a max of about 15.5 minutes, which happened today. Here's what I've tried to solve this issue: 1. Do a clean boot (no startup programs or services...
  9. Long shutdown and restart time in Windows 10

Long shutdown and restart time in Windows 10: That will certainly fix the issue. Thank you. I updated the windows 10 to Build 16299.371 and it shuts off much faster than before however Restart still takes a lot of time. Pretty much happy with the performance as well. Lets see how Windows 10 April update performs.
  10. Windows 10 takes a long time to boot after unexpected shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 takes a long time to boot after unexpected shutdown: I have a laptop with a slightly damaged motherboard, which does not allow the laptop to derive power from the battery. Consequently, in case of a power shutdown, the laptop shuts down. The booting after this unexpected shutdown takes a very long time, during which the disk...