Windows 10: Windows 10 takes a long time to turn off/go to sleep

Discus and support Windows 10 takes a long time to turn off/go to sleep in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, over the last couple of months, my laptop has started to take a long time to turn off or go to sleep. It takes about three minutes each time I do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by danielufcfan, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Windows 10 takes a long time to turn off/go to sleep

Hi, over the last couple of months, my laptop has started to take a long time to turn off or go to sleep. It takes about three minutes each time I do either action.

This is not the biggest problem by itself, but since this has happened, the laptop has started to frequently blue screen (page fault in nonpaged area). I don't know if they're related issues or not.

To fix this issue, I've tried everything I can think of, including system restore, and even a full reset of the laptop back to factory settings.

I've done checks for the latest drivers, and also done tests of the RAM and SSD and the results say no issues.

FWIW, the only time the laptop turns off normally is when it's in safe mode.

Can anyone help with this issue? I'm I looking at a hardware issue rather than software? What ever the issue is, I think it's causing my Laptop to break.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

:)

danielufcfan, Jun 5, 2019
  2. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Jun 5, 2019
  3. rtwjunkie Win User
    Windows 10 PC, issues with sleep and slow boots

@Mussels Welcome to the most widespread, yet elusive to pin down problem plaguing W10 even with SSD's! (meaning it's not your HDD)

You can googlebing to your heart's content and try every wild-assed fix out there, but you'll only make a dent in your frustration level.

What has MOSTLY helped me is turning off hibernation by turning off all sleep and power saving options in Windows, and turning off fast boot by deleting hiberfil through the CMD line (as an admin).

Now it only hangs on boot or restart 1 out of 5 times. LOL, and I call that progress. I have two steps to take that look like they might be promising.

I'm going to disable all power saving features in BIOS, and try a new BIOS which was released after W10.

No one, including M$ has figured it out yet. Some of the speculative fixes you'll find come from their own forums where so-called Windows experts seem to be the most clueless of everyone.

Anyway, I listed what has helped me somewhat after 4 weeks.

rtwjunkie, Jun 5, 2019
  4. qubit Win User

Windows 10 takes a long time to turn off/go to sleep

Win7 retains clock from sleep time

Oh damn, I meant to suggest the following: correct the clock, shut it down (not sleep mode) for an hour or two, then turn it on and go straight into the BIOS, no Windows. Is the time correct?

From what you've said in your last post, this sounds like a Windows problem, so I'll expect the BIOS time to be correct. This is good, as it's a mere software problem rather than a hardware one. We'll take it from there.

Good luck and Merry Christmas! *Toast :toast:

qubit, Jun 5, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 takes a long time to turn off/go to sleep

1. Windows 10 takes a long time to turn off/go to sleep - Similar Threads - takes long turn

2. w10 takes a long time to boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    w10 takes a long time to boot: My w10 takes a long time to boot, the desktop apps load , then grey out and load again along with the apps pinned to start bar https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w10-takes-a-long-time-to-boot/63448655-da7a-4382-add5-07bcbccd81f0
  3. Desktop takes long time to load Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop takes long time to load Windows 10: Hey guys, recently i had a problem with desktop environment in windows 10 it takes long time to load, this happened after resetting my version and install system updates after the new boot. before the problem i was deleting or moving some files to empty space on my hard...
  4. Windows 10 Turn off Display also makesit go to Sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Turn off Display also makesit go to Sleep: I have Windows 10 on both my laptop and Surface Pro 3. I just got this Surface Pro today from a friend and I wanted to update Windows. But I noticed that it heated up when the screen is on so I decided it would be best for the Surface to update while the Display is off. I...
  5. System Restore taking a long time

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore taking a long time: I am trying to use system restore but the screen has said that it is restoring the system for a very long time. My old windows XP computer seemed to do it very quickly. Do I just wait ? Would turning the computer off cause problems ? 65203
  6. Windows 10 takes a long time to boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 takes a long time to boot: So, I've encountered this issue lately where Windows 10 takes considerably longer to boot than before. (Usually 4 to 5 minutes) It used to boot under 30 seconds before so I don't know what went wrong here. So, the screen with the Windows logo and loading circle...
  7. tablet going to sleep instead of turning off screen

in Windows 10 Support
    tablet going to sleep instead of turning off screen: I use a Lenovo Miix tablet as a "kiosk". The tablet hangs on a wall, and never goes to sleep - but it turns off the screen after 1 minute inactivity. Touching the screen should light it up immediately. All this worked wonderfully with Windows 8.1. After the move to Win10,...
  8. Windows 10 Hibernate and sleep takes too long

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Hibernate and sleep takes too long: Hello. If I may ask, since I upgrade from my Windows 8 Single Language to Windows 10 Home Single Language (64-bit), it seems that I have trouble putting the laptop to hibernate or sleep. If I choose to Sleep, it suppose to go into sleep mode and everything is put into a...
  9. Login takes a long time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Login takes a long time: Hi, since the fresh installation of win10 after awhile login takes a long time. I created a new user and copied all my files to that account and the problem was solved but after 3-4 Weeks it gets slower and now it almost takes a minute to login into windows. Booting is...
  10. Windows 10 takes a LONG time to login

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 takes a LONG time to login: A couple weeks ago, my Windows 10 computer started taking a LONG time to login. The times have been going up and down, with a max of about 15.5 minutes, which happened today. Here's what I've tried to solve this issue: 1. Do a clean boot (no startup programs or services...