Windows 10: Windows 10 takes a long time to turn off/go to sleep

Discus and support Windows 10 takes a long time to turn off/go to sleep in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, over the last couple of months, my laptop has started to take a long time to turn off or go to sleep. It takes about three minutes each time I do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by danielufcfan, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Windows 10 takes a long time to turn off/go to sleep

Hi, over the last couple of months, my laptop has started to take a long time to turn off or go to sleep. It takes about three minutes each time I do either action.

This is not the biggest problem by itself, but since this has happened, the laptop has started to frequently blue screen (page fault in nonpaged area). I don't know if they're related issues or not.

To fix this issue, I've tried everything I can think of, including system restore, and even a full reset of the laptop back to factory settings.

I've done checks for the latest drivers, and also done tests of the RAM and SSD and the results say no issues.

FWIW, the only time the laptop turns off normally is when it's in safe mode.

Can anyone help with this issue? I'm I looking at a hardware issue rather than software? What ever the issue is, I think it's causing my Laptop to break.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

:)

danielufcfan, Jun 5, 2019
  2. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Jun 5, 2019
  3. rtwjunkie Win User
    Windows 10 PC, issues with sleep and slow boots

@Mussels Welcome to the most widespread, yet elusive to pin down problem plaguing W10 even with SSD's! (meaning it's not your HDD)

You can googlebing to your heart's content and try every wild-assed fix out there, but you'll only make a dent in your frustration level.

What has MOSTLY helped me is turning off hibernation by turning off all sleep and power saving options in Windows, and turning off fast boot by deleting hiberfil through the CMD line (as an admin).

Now it only hangs on boot or restart 1 out of 5 times. LOL, and I call that progress. I have two steps to take that look like they might be promising.

I'm going to disable all power saving features in BIOS, and try a new BIOS which was released after W10.

No one, including M$ has figured it out yet. Some of the speculative fixes you'll find come from their own forums where so-called Windows experts seem to be the most clueless of everyone.

Anyway, I listed what has helped me somewhat after 4 weeks.

rtwjunkie, Jun 5, 2019
  4. qubit Win User

Windows 10 takes a long time to turn off/go to sleep

Win7 retains clock from sleep time

Oh damn, I meant to suggest the following: correct the clock, shut it down (not sleep mode) for an hour or two, then turn it on and go straight into the BIOS, no Windows. Is the time correct?

From what you've said in your last post, this sounds like a Windows problem, so I'll expect the BIOS time to be correct. This is good, as it's a mere software problem rather than a hardware one. We'll take it from there.

Good luck and Merry Christmas! *Toast :toast:

qubit, Jun 5, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 takes a long time to turn off/go to sleep

1. Windows 10 takes a long time to turn off/go to sleep - Similar Threads - takes long turn

2. Laptop takes a long time to enter Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop takes a long time to enter Sleep: Yesterday I noticed that it's taking the laptop a rather long time to "go to sleep" whem I close the lid. Usually it'd only take 1 minute tops, even with a lot of programs running, but this time it took maybe 4-5 minutes? I thought it might be because I had been using the...
  3. Laptop takes a long time to enter Sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop takes a long time to enter Sleep: Yesterday I noticed that it's taking the laptop a rather long time to "go to sleep" whem I close the lid. Usually it'd only take 1 minute tops, even with a lot of programs running, but this time it took maybe 4-5 minutes? I thought it might be because I had been using the...
  4. Windows 10 won't go to sleep and turn off screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 won't go to sleep and turn off screen: My computer won't go to sleep or turn off the screen even after the time I set it to. I went to the cmd and typed in powercfg -requests and got nothing from there. I also went into the advanced power settings and allowed the computer to sleep in the "When sharing media" tab...
  5. windows 10 take long time to shut down, restart and sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    windows 10 take long time to shut down, restart and sleep: my laptop is hp EliteBook 8460p I just got a new ssd and installed windows 10 pro version 2004 when I shut down or restart or sleep the laptop the screen is turn off normally but still power on about 5 minutes or more after that...
  6. It is taking a long time to download windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    It is taking a long time to download windows 10: I am downloading Windows 10 to my Mac to put it on a drive to plug into my new computer. I started it at 1 in the morning and it is only on 53 mb. What can I do to make it faster? It says it is going to take a week....
  7. Sleep and turn off times.

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep and turn off times.: Hi, my username is , i am really, bit computr illiterate, my excuse, i'm ninty one, they never had gas operated computers in my day ! Problem, my screen turns off if i leave it a few minutes, all a little annoying,cant seem to rectify it forever logging in. Any help (in...
  8. Computer takes a long time to wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer takes a long time to wake from sleep: It seems to take ~20 seconds for my computer to get to the Windows 10 login screen from sleep. I first click on the keyboard and it lights up immediately. I can hear the CPU fan kick on immediately also. Then I have to wait another 15-20 seconds before the monitor displays...
  9. Windows 10 takes a long time to boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 takes a long time to boot: So, I've encountered this issue lately where Windows 10 takes considerably longer to boot than before. (Usually 4 to 5 minutes) It used to boot under 30 seconds before so I don't know what went wrong here. So, the screen with the Windows logo and loading circle...
  10. Windows 10 takes a LONG time to login

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 takes a LONG time to login: A couple weeks ago, my Windows 10 computer started taking a LONG time to login. The times have been going up and down, with a max of about 15.5 minutes, which happened today. Here's what I've tried to solve this issue: 1. Do a clean boot (no startup programs or services...