Windows 10: Windows 10 takes an exaggerated long time to restart and shutdown

Discus and support Windows 10 takes an exaggerated long time to restart and shutdown in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello. I have a 6th Generation Intel Core i5 CPU, a GeForce RTX 20 Series GPU and 16 GB RAM on a 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor. OS:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by A__Person, Dec 31, 2020.

1. A__Person Win User

Windows 10 takes an exaggerated long time to restart and shutdown

Hello.

I have a 6th Generation Intel Core i5 CPU, a GeForce RTX 20 Series GPU and 16 GB RAM on a 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor.

And I have the following issues:

1. Windows restart time takes approx. 3:25 minutes;

2. Windows shut down time takes approx. 3:15 minutes.

Windows boot time is usually less than 20 seconds, though, which is good - it's approximately the same since the last Windows reinstall from scratch. The operating system runs on a SSD, which has only 1 partition if this is somehow relevant.

These 2 issues started to occur somewhen since 15th of December. Before that, Windows restart/shut down times took approx. 20-40 seconds.

I check for Windows, drivers, antivirus and programs updates at least once per day and update them whenever updates are available.

I tried to figure out what service/startup item may cause these issues and I performed a clean boot as stated in the following article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
    Even with a clean boot, Windows restart/shutdown times take approx. 3:25/3:15 minutes. So I guess that no service or startup item is causing these extremely long times.

Since then, I installed:

- a game from a game platform, but they are installed on a HDD, which I only unlock when I use games and programs from that HDD they aren't startup items and their services don't run in background;

- SSD's manufacturer's official tool for optimization & diagnostics not a startup item, its service doesn't run in background.

Could someone please give me some advices/tips to help me fix these 2 issues?

Thank you.

:)

A__Person, Dec 31, 2020
  2. ABY
    aby Win User

Long shutdown and restart time in Windows 10

Hi all,

I recently got Dell Inspiron 15-5577 Gaming i5 Model without SSD with Windows 10 single language installed. Current version installed is 1709 Build16299.309. If I restart my computer it takes 4-5 minutes and even the shutdown time is 3-4 minutes. I have already clean installed the OS so that all the bloatware is removed. Haven't installed any Antivirus program. Have already set waittokill to 1000, tried turning Fast startup off and make changes to registry but nothing worked.

Here's the screenshot of event log of Boot performance monitoring and shutdown performance monitoring.

Windows 10 takes an exaggerated long time to restart and shutdown [​IMG]

I'm really disappointed with this since my 7 years old desktop with 4 GB RAM and Dual Core processor running Windows 7 boots and shutdown faster than this machine.

Thank you

3. zinou Win User

In the boot trace you sent I don't see 10 minutes delay !

Your desktop is shown after 20s from the boot.
    The only phase that takes long is the post-boot phase, due to high CPU utilization by the sppvsc.exe service (Software Protection Service). this programs checks for genuine Microsoft programs on your computer. if it detects a pirated software it can make your CPU to slow down.

Now my question is where are you experiencing the 10 minutes delays? is that happens during the bios boot phase that doesn't occur in the boot trace?
    to check the bios boot time, open the task manager and go to the startup page:

zinou, Dec 31, 2020
  4. Vorda1 Win User

hi sir, thank you for your answer
    its startup boot (restart) delay 10 minutes....
    will send it to you ....asap.
    respect.
    d.

- - - Updated - - -

Here it is, sir : TransferNow
    thank you

Vorda1, Dec 31, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 takes an exaggerated long time to restart and shutdown - Similar Threads - takes exaggerated long

2. Extra long Shutdown and restart time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Extra long Shutdown and restart time: As subject says, my shutdown and restart time has extended a lot. It basicly gets stuck on the "Restarting" screen for 2-3min. Installed new parts to my PC last week and on the same run, I installed completely new Windows.PC Parts:CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600xMotherboard: ROG Strix...
  3. Extra long Shutdown and restart time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extra long Shutdown and restart time: As subject says, my shutdown and restart time has extended a lot. It basicly gets stuck on the "Restarting" screen for 2-3min. Installed new parts to my PC last week and on the same run, I installed completely new Windows.PC Parts:CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600xMotherboard: ROG Strix...
  4. Extra long Shutdown and restart time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. PC takes a long time to restart

PC takes a long time to restart: My pc takes a long time to restart since a few days ago. It takes like 10-15 minutes to restart. Please help me to fix this issue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-takes-a-long-time-to-restart/deaea9a5-320e-475f-af94-8a4bbdf073e1
  6. PC takes a long time to restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC takes a long time to restart: My pc takes a long time to restart since a few days ago. It takes like 10-15 minutes to restart. Please help me to fix this issue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-takes-a-long-time-to-restart/deaea9a5-320e-475f-af94-8a4bbdf073e1
  7. PC takes a long time to restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows 10 takes a long time to shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 takes a long time to shutdown: Hi. I right click the windows icon and then click shutdown or sign out then click shut down and nothing happens sometimes for 20 to 30 seconds. I can still use the computer in that time and then eventually I get the shut down screen with the rotating dots and the computer...
  9. Windows 10 takes long time to reboot, shutdown and/or logout.

Windows 10 takes long time to reboot, shutdown and/or logout.: My laptop has windows 10 enterprise 64bit build 1703 and it is on company domain and bitlocker encryption is enabled on SSD. Sometime but not all the time, laptop takes long time to reboot, shutdown and/or logout. Did the sfc scan and found nothing. An interesting thing I...
  10. Long shutdown and restart time in Windows 10

Long shutdown and restart time in Windows 10: That will certainly fix the issue. Thank you. I updated the windows 10 to Build 16299.371 and it shuts off much faster than before however Restart still takes a lot of time. Pretty much happy with the performance as well. Lets see how Windows 10 April update performs.