Windows 10: Windows 10 takes less disk space than 7?

Discus and support Windows 10 takes less disk space than 7? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 and despite there being a 5 GB windows.old folder, the C: drive has about 10 GB free that it didn't before the installation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by THX1138, Jul 29, 2016.

1. THX1138 Win User

Windows 10 takes less disk space than 7?

I installed Windows 10 and despite there being a 5 GB windows.old folder, the C: drive has about 10 GB free that it didn't before the installation (accounting for the installation files which otherwise would have made it 15 GB). What is Windows 10 doing so differently that saves all that space?

:)

THX1138, Jul 29, 2016
  2. AlashZU Win User

Copied file takes 2x hard drive space

I have a problem in Windows 10.

When I copy a file to a drive, it takes twice as much space than its size.

During the copy process, it firstly takes all of its size from the free disk space, then it continuously takes the same amount until the copy is finished.

The result is, that when I copy 1GB file to my HDD, I have 2GB less of free space. Do you have any idea, what can be the reason?

AlashZU, Jul 29, 2016
  3. Unable to Delete Temporary Files on Windows 10

If you have had Windows 10 for less than 30 days you have your old Windows program in your trash bin and it takes up space but only Widows can delete after 30 days.

Your APPs take up space and delete the ones you don't need.

Try disk cleanup again but don't hit the delete key instead

go down and hit the Clean Up System files.

JACKGRANADE, Jul 29, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

ARC1020, Jul 29, 2016
  5. THX1138 Win User
    Thanks. I guess they cleaned up some other stuff as well.

THX1138, Jul 31, 2016
  6. DavidY Win User
    I upgraded a Windows 7 laptop the other day. Before the upgrade, windows 7 had a folder with all the installed updates since whenever it was installed, which took more than 10GB. This was deleted from Windows.old and Windows 10 took less space when installed. So overall I saved disk space.

Going forward, because Windows 10 is doing a full OS install every 6 month or so with its update, it shouldn't build up the huge stack of updates which Windows 7 had.

DavidY, Jul 31, 2016
  7. bfunke Win User
    I noticed this as well. My 1TB HDD was nearly full so I moved my music collection to a portable HD freeing up 350GB leaving my HDD with ~650GB used. I then did a clean install of Win10 64B and MS Office to a new SSD and transferred all my documents and files to a new 2TB HDD. Interestingly I am only using a little less than 200GB for my docs and files. Win10 on SSD is considerably faster than Win7 was on HDD which makes me wonder is I didn't have a bunch of corrupted system files or something taking up all the space. Anti malware Bytes and SFC never reported issues in Win7. No clue?

bfunke, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 takes less disk space than 7? - Similar Threads - takes less disk

2. Updates taking Disk Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updates taking Disk Space: I got a new Dell Inspirion 3020 a few months ago. Every Windows Update consumes more and more disk space on the C drive. The properties box for the C drive does not have the usual DISK CLEANUP button. It has DETAILS instead. I can find DISK CLEANUP. CLEANUP SYSTEM FILES never...
  3. Updates taking Disk Space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updates taking Disk Space: I got a new Dell Inspirion 3020 a few months ago. Every Windows Update consumes more and more disk space on the C drive. The properties box for the C drive does not have the usual DISK CLEANUP button. It has DETAILS instead. I can find DISK CLEANUP. CLEANUP SYSTEM FILES never...
  4. Windows taking more space than usual

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows taking more space than usual: Dear all,I have Windows 10 on my laptop. I found in an answer in the Microsoft community that usually windows 10 takes up to 20 GB of space in the drives. But in my system, it is showing it takes 29GB. How I can get rid of this extra 9GB ?...
  5. Windows taking more space than usual

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows taking more space than usual: Dear all,I have Windows 10 on my laptop. I found in an answer in the Microsoft community that usually windows 10 takes up to 20 GB of space in the drives. But in my system, it is showing it takes 29GB. How I can get rid of this extra 9GB ?...
  6. Windows taking more space than usual

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10 - C Drive Storage Space less than it should be

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - C Drive Storage Space less than it should be: I had bought a laptop a few months back in which I allotted the 256 GB SSD for C Drive.I installed very few things and some months ago, it showed that only around 30 GB was left in the drive. I contacted the support live chat and tried everything they asked, plus some other...
  8. Windows 10 taking > 100gb disk space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 taking > 100gb disk space: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/InsulineDion [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/knbw5t/windows_10_taking_100gb_disk_space/
  9. Disk shows less free space, than it is taken by large margin!!!

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk shows less free space, than it is taken by large margin!!!: I use mirekusoft install monitor, for removing residue files, after uninstalling programs. I had no problem so far... But now, i was uninstalling a game. And it deleted whole folder - Games. Instead just one folder, in which game was located. And weirdest thing is: it didn't...
  10. Windows taking more disk space

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows taking more disk space: I have upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Now, my C drive is almost full with 714GB occupied by "System and reserved". I was in an assumption that, Windows 10 was suppose to take less space. Can you please help me in this. 22430