Windows 10: Windows 10 taking hours to start following update

Discus and support Windows 10 taking hours to start following update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I work in a corporate environment where we handle 1000's of laptops running Windows 10. I've seen an issue whereby following a Windows update (unsure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DaimonWalker, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Windows 10 taking hours to start following update

I work in a corporate environment where we handle 1000's of laptops running Windows 10. I've seen an issue whereby following a Windows update (unsure which update - investigation ongoing) some machines are taking hours to start up. This is happening on various machine types but mainly HP and Dell. The symptoms have been described in other threads that have been closed without satisfactory resolution.

Symptom

Machine powers up, passes BIOS post and gets to a windows "dots circling" screen. The dots disappear and a pointer is left on the screen. Hard drive activity is minimal and general activity seems to have stopped, however if the machine is left standing for hours (this varies from machine to machine but is generally between 1-4 hours) it will get to the Windows logon screen where normal login can take place. Once logged in the machine operates as one would expect.

Repairs/fix attempts

I've run SFC /Scannow
    Uninstalled latest patch (I won't put the KB number as that would be a red herring)

Defrag c: /u

Ran PS script

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Reboot on current PC takes much longer (I have to leave it over night).

I am rebuilding machines but there has to be a quicker way to fix this issue. Microsoft community, it's over to you.

:)

DaimonWalker, Apr 11, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 11, 2019
  3. jbailey8 Win User
    HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, Apr 11, 2019
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows 10 taking hours to start following update

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Apr 11, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 taking hours to start following update

1. Windows 10 taking hours to start following update - Similar Threads - taking hours start

2. Updates taking more than 10 hours

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updates taking more than 10 hours: Windows has been running "Feature update to Windows 10, version 21H2" for more then 10 hours. It was stuck several time previously, now at 90%. I was previously stuck at 60% and 87% before I rebooted. Have tried everything I know of....
  3. Updates taking more than 10 hours

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updates taking more than 10 hours: Windows has been running "Feature update to Windows 10, version 21H2" for more then 10 hours. It was stuck several time previously, now at 90%. I was previously stuck at 60% and 87% before I rebooted. Have tried everything I know of....
  4. Windows update taking 3 hours

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows update taking 3 hours: title says it all, at the moment its been stuck restarting for 40 mins, is there anything i can do specs: gtx 1660, 16gb ddr4, mx500 m.2, ryzen 3 3200g submitted by /u/69pimp69 [link] [comments]...
  5. Windows updates takes hours.

Windows updates takes hours.: Why can I install Windows, fresh about two times in the time it takes like a 600mb update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-updates-takes-hours/9b7f176c-1623-4dd0-a1c5-f2ddef4214d3
  6. Windows 10 update taking 12+ hours

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 update taking 12+ hours: Hello everyone. My system (Dell Inspiron 5577) has been updating to Windows 10 April (or May, confused here) 2020 (Insider Program, Slow Ring) since the last 12 hours. It occasionally restarts but it's extremely slow and has been stuck at 90% since the last 3-4 hours. I'm...
  7. System taking hour to start after windows 10 update.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System taking hour to start after windows 10 update.: Hi, My system is taking hours to start after upgrading system to windows 10.Could please look into the issue earliest. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-taking-hour-to-start-after-windows-10/95824bc5-ab01-45a4-b167-2eccff3a5bd5
  8. Windows 10 update takes hours.

Windows 10 update takes hours.: Microsoft, Please make sure that Windows 10 updates are not so painful. I have lost income due to Windows 10 update taking hours, and my laptop was showing circle going round and round, with nothing happening. I lost at least 4.5 hours of income and I am not rich to get these...
  9. Windows 10 Updates Still Taking Hours

Windows 10 Updates Still Taking Hours: I've had my HP 15 laptop for a little over a year now. Last night I got a pop-up wanting to update. I clicked Remind Me Later. In less than a minute, the screen went blue supposedly because the computer had to restart due to an error. I hardly believe this was coincidence. It...
  10. Update taking over an hour?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update taking over an hour?: Before I went to bed, I clicked to shut off my side computer (OS: Windows 10), and saw "Update and Shut down" as an option so I clicked that and went to bed. I woke up 8 hours later about 7pm, and I turned on my side computer and saw "Working on updates 0%". It has been over...