Windows 10: Windows 10 taking too long to boot

Discus and support Windows 10 taking too long to boot in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I know there are several threads by this name, but my problem, as far as I know, is quite peculiar and I haven't seen anything similar to this in any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by sbstratos79, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Windows 10 taking too long to boot

I know there are several threads by this name, but my problem, as far as I know, is quite peculiar and I haven't seen anything similar to this in any thread. Yesterday I did a clean install (actually I wiped the whole hard drive and converted it to MBR since it was in GPT and Windows wasn't letting me install it on GPT filesystem) of Windows 10, and installed all the necessary drivers and the basic essentials. I don't know exactly when but after I was done doing some housekeeping, my Windows started taking too long to boot. What happens is that it shows the Windows loading screen (like in the image attached), does the boot animation for about 5-10 seconds, then blinks the screen momentarily, and then shows the Boot animation screen again. But this time, the loading circle animation is really choppy and the pixels seem to be slightly blown out. Then it takes a good 1-2 mins at that screen and then shows the blue screen with loading animation, shows it for another 15-20 seconds and then shows the Login screen. This is getting really annoying. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. *Smile

:)

sbstratos79, Dec 20, 2015

2. Windows 10 taking too long to boot

Hi, I've just installed Windows 10 update, and everything is good, but it takes too long to boot...

And I'm talking 5-10 minutes...first it shows Windows logo, and loading, that lasts for about 10 seconds, and then the black screen appears and stays like that for 5 minutes. Then when I log into my account, it takes 3-5 minutes to load up...

Any way to speed things up?

AhmadFitriansyah, Dec 20, 2015
  3. socorropc Win User
    Windows 10 taking too long to boot

After fall creator's update my Dell latitude e7250 with windows 10 sometimes take 10 minutes to start. 8gb ram ssd hard drive...

socorropc, Dec 20, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

When you say would not let you use GPT then meaning you either might not have a UEFI BIOS or did not select it when you booted from the disc or USB when you did the install. What i am trying to figure was it installed using UEFI and GPT from Windows 7 or 8.1 whatever OS you had before upgrade originally and before the clean install with Windows 10, what it seems you are saying ?

List the Lenovo Model. See you have 2 cards listed, both different brands, which one is it ?

jds63, Dec 21, 2015
  5. When I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10, I had UEFI BIOS setting enabled. And yes you are correct, I switched to Legacy for my most recent Windows installation because my USB wasn't being detected in UEFI mode. I have Lenovo Z50-70. And it has Intel as well as NVIDIA graphics card. Here's the specs: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Z50-70-.../dp/B00O4RSPJI

sbstratos79, Dec 21, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    So you are now saying you had trouble with certain devices like USB being detected when you were using UEFI ? I looked at this Lenovo Z50-70. I would think when you bought this laptop it was using installed with Windows 8.1 64bit using UEFI, correct ? Now with upgrade to Windows 10 you had issues with this mode because of devices not being recognized, sorry if i am repeating myself, just making sure i understand everything you are telling me. If it originally was in this mode and probably should be, not sure why certain devices would not work in Win 10 then, again if i am correct here.

Looks like a BIOS update from Sept. 2015. How long after upgrade did this issue start to happen ? Maybe slow boot is due to some settings changed in the BIOS, did you do any except Legacy before the change or after ? When you upgraded did you update important system drivers from Lenovo ?

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/prod...Lenovo-Z50-70?

jds63, Dec 21, 2015
  7. I am sorry for providing incomplete information. Actually when my pc was on, it did recognize all my USB devices. But when I tried booting from the Live USB that I had created for Windows 10, it didn't show up in devices in BIOS menu. That's why I switched to legacy mode.

Yes, it came with UEFI as the default setting.

I installed Windows the day before yesterday and it started malfunctioning the same day; probably after I was done installing drivers etc.; maybe it was going to malfunction anyway, and I just didn't check it before that, so installing the drivers may have nothing to do with my problem.

I set the Legcay mode before installing Windows since it wasn't recognizing my bootable USB in BIOS.

Yes, I installed all the important drivers that were available for my laptop.

8. jds63 Win User

What i originally thought, when booting from USB device with Windows 10 ISO you saw no choices for and with UEFI ( example UEFI USB D: Drive Letter). Sure made everything correct when making USB Flash drive bootable and it was set to UEFI mode ?

jds63, Dec 21, 2015
  9. jds63 Win User
    Windows 10 taking too long to boot [​IMG]
    Something i pulled from your manual

jds63, Dec 21, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Can use Legacy (MBR) sure without issues, but cause of booting maybe due to drivers or settings in BIOS, not sure yet.

Question, what was the reasons originally to do a clean install ?

jds63, Dec 21, 2015
  11. I had to do a clean install due to several reasons. One reason was that I couldn't install the latest cumulative updates on my pc (which apparently has been reported by many people), and since I couldn't opt out of update program, it'd just keep trying to install the updates from time to time and waste a lot of my time. Another reason was that my PC used to take a lot of time to boot and it was running really slow. I had no viruses or any such issues, and after scouring the internet, the best possible explanation for all my problems that I could find was that updating Windows always causes some problems. Everybody was recommending a clean install, so yeah, that's why I did a clean install. I hope I was able to make myself clear. And thanks a lot for taking your time and trying to help me out. *Smile I really appreciate it.

12. jds63 Win User
    Your Welcome ! Seems like in same boat again as before clean install, slow boot. Able to update from windows now ? Besides not using UEFI, maybe some of your issues can be related to system drivers. Usually do not suggest this because sometimes not needed, did ever update the BIOS or are you using the current most recent BIOS i saw Sept. 2015 ? UEFI is the type of BIOS you have, MBR style is the older type while GPT is newer. Not saying this is the cause of your windows update issues or slow system and boot, but was that way when bought.

jds63, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 taking too long to boot - Similar Threads - taking too long

2. Windows takes too long to boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows takes too long to boot: Hey guys, For more than a month, I've been experiencing exceedingly long boot times on my Windows 10 PC. At times it takes up to 5-7 minutes too load, and all I can see during that time is a black blank screen after the Windows logo disappears. Often even after it...
  3. Laptop takes too long to boot/shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop takes too long to boot/shutdown: English is not my first language, so I apologize for any grammar mistakes. This has been happening for a few weeks already. Whenever I turn my laptop on, it shows the Windows logo + loading circle as usual, then sits on a black screen for around 5-10 minutes until the locked...
  4. Boot takes too long after enabling Virtualization

Boot takes too long after enabling Virtualization: I'm setting up my Windows 10 PC for development environment with WSL2. After enabling Virtualization from BIOS, my PC boot now takes long. From 30 secs its now booting for 2 minutes or more. I already analyzed by system using the Windows Performance Toolkit, and it looks...
  5. windows 10 restart taking too long

windows 10 restart taking too long: windows 10 restart taking too long. When I power on and off it takes less than 1 minute but whenever I restart then it takes about 7-10 minutes. I have i5 4670 processor 8gb ram...
  6. Windows 10 Reset Taking Too Long

Windows 10 Reset Taking Too Long: I recently decided to reset a windows 10 PC with a 1 TB hard drive and a 500 GB SSD, but chose to wipe and clean all storage on both drives. The PC has been running with a black screen for almost a week now with no indication of progress or activity. I have hit the shut down...
  7. Windows taking too long to boot

Windows taking too long to boot: This issue is happening for me for a while now, searched several sources, tried multiple solutions and no success so far. My Windows is taking a long time to boot, over 2 minutes. I have 2 computers here at home, the one that has this issue uses an NVMe SSD from Samsung (Evo...
  8. Windows 10 Upgrade Taking Too Long?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Upgrade Taking Too Long?: Hello, So I am doing an upgrade on my desktop (currently in progress) and just wondering how long it usually takes? I looked up online and the upgrade should takes maximum an hour, but as of now it's been 5 hours and still hasn't loaded into Win 10. It's still on the...
  9. Keyboard takes too long to boot up in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard takes too long to boot up in Windows 10: I recently had to purchase a new SSD for my C:\ drive and reinstall windows 10. It seems that almost every time I boot up my PC the keyboard sometimes takes about two minutes to activate. The keyboard is USB wired. My mouse, which is usb wireless, works immediately upon...
  10. Windows 10 takes too long to boot.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 takes too long to boot.: I know this is a holiday weekend, but I'm set to start a new job working from home. Just as I'm about to go live I'm suddenly noticing that Windows 10 is taking 5 minutes or from turning it on to when I can actually use it. I've already done the basics by looking for malware,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows recoveery is taking to long to boot

2. windows 10 taking over 6 minutes to boot