Windows 10: windows 10 task manager inaccurate since recent cumulative updates

Discus and support windows 10 task manager inaccurate since recent cumulative updates in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Among other problems, the most recent set of Windows 10 cumulative updates has broken the Task Manager. These problems began with the late July/ early... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by vj000000, Oct 15, 2018.

1. vj000000 Win User

windows 10 task manager inaccurate since recent cumulative updates

Among other problems, the most recent set of Windows 10 cumulative updates has broken the Task Manager. These problems began with the late July/ early August releases and have only gotten worse in October.

After these cumulative updates, my ThinkPad began to take a long time to boot-up and is very slow afterwards. Task Manager will show extremely high (90-100%) cpu usage but the list of detailed process utilization do not add up. Often the overall cpu usage will be 100% but the details will be either zero or in the single digits or less. So, I cannot figure out what's causing the problem. See screen print below.

My research indicates that this is a known Microsoft problem. See posts on Reddit.

When will this be fixed??

In addition, these cumulative updates have caused major systems problems on my ThinkPad and PCs: OEM sound system app/drivers not working, Printers no longer attached or set up, CPU drivers/firmware failing, etc. Many things have to reinstalled which is a total pain to do!!

:)

vj000000, Oct 15, 2018

2. Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3156387) will not install

Anyone else having problems getting the Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3156387) installed? This update has been failing for me & doing a failed to update after downloading & reboot, then rebooting & removing the update.

V 10.0 build 10240

broken pixel, Oct 15, 2018
  3. btarunr Win User
    Windows 10 Task Manager to Get GPU Utilization Tab

Microsoft is working on an update to Windows 10, which among several other things, adds a GPU utilization tab to Task Manager. You will be able to monitor each individual GPU in your machine, and Task Manager will give you live utilization stats for the GPU's 3D load, Video hardware-acceleration (encode/decode) load, dedicated memory usage, shared memory usage, and basic driver information such as driver version and date. For now the update is part of Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16226; and will make it to the main-release in the coming months.

windows 10 task manager inaccurate since recent cumulative updates 72c4e559f706_thm.jpg

Source: Windows Blog

btarunr, Oct 15, 2018
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Oct 15, 2018
Thema:

1. windows 10 task manager inaccurate since recent cumulative updates - Similar Threads - task manager inaccurate

2. Been recently having this bug since the Recent cumulative update.

in Cortana
    Been recently having this bug since the Recent cumulative update.: This bug happens within the search bar where only certain apps will go into the recent search history in the windows search bar. Also, there's this bug where on the top of the search bar it shows 5 moving dots constantly but the search bar works normally. I have done an...
  3. Been recently having this bug since the Recent cumulative update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Been recently having this bug since the Recent cumulative update.: This bug happens within the search bar where only certain apps will go into the recent search history in the windows search bar. Also, there's this bug where on the top of the search bar it shows 5 moving dots constantly but the search bar works normally. I have done an...
  4. Been recently having this bug since the Recent cumulative update.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Since recent windows 10 update I cannot use Microsoft Picture Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Since recent windows 10 update I cannot use Microsoft Picture Manager: Since recent windows 10 update I cannot use Microsoft Picture Manager. The default has been reset to Microsoft Paint How do I get it back as default for all jpg's...
  6. Since recent windows 10 update I cannot use Microsoft Picture Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Since recent windows 10 update I cannot use Microsoft Picture Manager: Since recent windows 10 update I cannot use Microsoft Picture Manager. The default has been reset to Microsoft Paint How do I get it back as default for all jpg's...
  7. Issues with task manager after a recent update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Issues with task manager after a recent update: I can't access my task manager and also the 'security at a glance' section under updates and security is coming up empty. I tried going through the group policy editor and it didn't help as well. This all happened after a recent windows update and I have also tried...
  8. Facing issues with task manager since windows 10-2004 update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Facing issues with task manager since windows 10-2004 update.: Facing issues with task manager since windows 10-2004 update. Click on performance tab results into blue screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/facing-issues-with-task-manager-since-windows-10/03063721-0d50-4261-981f-76b5f2d3ec86
  9. Windows 10 High Memory Usage/Task Manage Inaccurate

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 High Memory Usage/Task Manage Inaccurate: So I have noticed games closing because of too much memory usage. So I opened up task manager to take a look. With just Microsoft Edge open it says 40- 43% memory usage. Now when I actually take a rough estimate of how much memory is being used by adding up all the values...
  10. Task Manager inaccurate?

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Manager inaccurate?: Hi I'm currently troubleshooting a Win10 laptop with an extremely slow startup and using Task Manger to see what's using the resources. Now according to Task Manager/Processes the disk is running at 99% but in the list there's less than 3Mb in use! So how is it giving me...