Windows 10: Windows 10 Task Scheduler DST March 2023 issues

Discus and support Windows 10 Task Scheduler DST March 2023 issues in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Since the Daylight Summer Time changed last weekend, some scheduled tasks have failed to run on Windows 10.The issue appears to be tasks scheduled to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Paul H~, Mar 31, 2023.

1. Paul H~ Win User

Windows 10 Task Scheduler DST March 2023 issues

Since the Daylight Summer Time changed last weekend, some scheduled tasks have failed to run on Windows 10.The issue appears to be tasks scheduled to start between 0:00 and 1:00 do not run.I have several tasks starting at various times of the day and I have noted that two specific tasks that start during this time window no longer work.Microsoft Task Scheduler DST/ return from DST task starting issues have been around for a number of years, so much so that we plan to fix the task schedules soon after the March / October time changes occur but this time it really looks broken.I actions taken so

:)

Paul H~, Mar 31, 2023

2. Task Scheduler failing after BST and DST changes

We have hit an bug in Task Scheduler that seems to have surfaced between March 2021 and October 2021, The trigger for the issue is Daylight saving changes for the UK (I guess Europe and may be other parts of the world) and also there is some affect from the US DST change. I am seeing this on Server 2016 and 2019 versions of Windows so would expect Windows 10 to similarly affected.

Symptoms
    After BST either starts or stops and clocks change a number of scheduled task fail to run. This appears to be limited to those using a weekly or monthly schedule, daily and other triggers work ok.

Observed status
    There is no error on last run

Last run date is prior to BST change
    Next run date is scheduled correctly,

there is no error in the eventlogs it just doesn't even start.

The US always change a week before the UK/Europe in the Spring and week after the Autumn (Fall), last October all the failing tasks which were exhibiting strange behaviour like when they did run it was 1 hour later than expected started work correctly after teh US DST change.
    This spring they all just failed after the BST chnage in the UK.

Fixing by export, delete, reimport fixes the issue until the next DST event.
    Changing the start time of the trigger to today also fixes the issue
    Manually creating the task fixes the issue
    However when you are looking at tasks across hundreds of servers it is not a trivial thing to verify. It may also be affect any of teh hundreds of MS tasks on a device but it is impossible to work out.

After digging through servers that have the same task but created a different times from an XML file and where some would work and some would not.
    Our conclusion is there is an issue with the trigger start date in relation to the creation date and where these fall in the cycle of DST changes, of which there are 4 zones, due to the US and UK changing a week apart. (UTC/UTC, DST/UTC, DST/BST, DST/UTC). It occurs when the task scheduler is creating the next run date and the calculation it makes based on the start date when the task is created which i guess is quite complex. SOmething gets broken in the calculation as we flip between UTC and BST.

If the trigger start date and creation date are done a different times and these fall in to different scenarios

Another observed issue which may be related is how different things see dates. If you use Schtasks to get info on task the dates are all shown correctly, however in PowerShell the date for the last runtime is not reported correctly as below, these are for the same task, PowerShell is reporting the last runtime as 1954. PowerShell only gets a small amount of info and there is no verbose option so I cannot see if it is seeing the trigger start date incorrectly as well, i assume these dates and times are stored in unversal format and get converted on the fly by the program displaying the information.

PowerShell

LastRunTime : 12/08/1954 05:30:30
    NextRunTime : 10/04/2022 18:00:00

schtasks

Next Run Time: 10/04/2022 18:00:00
    Last Run Time: 20/03/2022 18:00:01

Has anyone else come accross this? You may not have noticed if you have one report not working and just recreated the task for it, but if you had a weekly scheduled task fail after 2am 27th March you may have been impacted by this and may again in October.

Unfortunately I don't have the facilites to test scenarios and trigger DST events, but my best guess that the most likely workaround is going to be making the trigger start date the same as the when you created the task untill the issue is resolved by Microsoft.

Jez the Penguin, Mar 31, 2023
  3. Task Scheduler failing after BST and DST changes

I thought I'd chip in with some of our findings having had a number of scheduled tasks fail on our network due to Task Scheduler not kicking in. We have found the following:

• Scheduled tasks on Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2 are unaffected
    • Windows Server 2016 and 2019 are affected but only tasks that are Weekly or Monthly (or with multiple triggers that contain either)
    • Symptoms similar to those described. Tasks do not start; no messages, no log entries, they just proceed to the next scheduled event.
    We have a call logged with Microsoft for advice on a permanent resolution to this however the following may work (albeit until the next DST event)

• Open each failing event and alter the change the 'from' start date
    • Alter the time (even by one minute) let it run and revert
    • Each of the above may just be just a case of resetting the task and re-presenting it to the system.
    • A reboot of the servers (gleaned from the internet - not tried in our case). However this would happen as a result of monthly patching.
    • Another suggestion for a permanent resolution is to tick the box to 'Synchronise across time zones' on setting the trigger time. This may have some validity as the system log entry for the DST shift states it is shifting time zones.

The system time has changed to ‎2022‎-‎03‎-‎27T01:00:11.415086900Z from ‎2022‎-‎03‎-‎27T01:00:11.415086900Z.
      Change Reason: System time adjusted to the new time zone.

(This is how it was displayed in the log file: yes, the old and new times showed as the same although the actual log was timed at 02:00:11)

We can't afford the time to test the time zone solution so it may either have to wait until October or until Microsoft responds with a definitive answer. I will post the official response on here when it comes back.

Anthony - Kernow, Mar 31, 2023
  4. Windows 10 Task Scheduler DST March 2023 issues

Window's Task Scheduler Not Running

Hi,

To assist you better, kindly provide us more details by answering the following questions:

• Have you tried recreating the task? If so, are you getting the same issue?
    • Have you tried creating a new task?
    Meanwhile, we suggest that you ensure that the Task Scheduler is running. You can verify if the service is running by following these steps:

• Press Windows key + R on your keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • Under Services (Local), make sure that the Task Scheduler service's status is
      Started or Enabled.
    Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Mar 31, 2023
Thema:

Windows 10 Task Scheduler DST March 2023 issues

1. Windows 10 Task Scheduler DST March 2023 issues - Similar Threads - Task Scheduler DST

2. Task Scheduler issue due to DST Changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Scheduler issue due to DST Changes: We have hit an bug in Task Scheduler . The version of windows is : Windows Server 2016Problem:The task finishes within 5 seconds of getting triggered. The task does not perform the desired actions.However if the same task is triggered manually, the task runs...
  3. Task Scheduler issue due to DST Changes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Scheduler issue due to DST Changes: We have hit an bug in Task Scheduler . The version of windows is : Windows Server 2016Problem:The task finishes within 5 seconds of getting triggered. The task does not perform the desired actions.However if the same task is triggered manually, the task runs...
  4. Windows 10 Task Scheduler DST March 2023 issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Task Scheduler DST March 2023 issues: Since the Daylight Summer Time changed last weekend, some scheduled tasks have failed to run on Windows 10.The issue appears to be tasks scheduled to start between 0:00 and 1:00 do not run.I have several tasks starting at various times of the day and I have noted that two...
  5. Windows 10 Task Scheduler DST March 2023 issues

Windows 10 Task Scheduler DST March 2023 issues: Since the Daylight Summer Time changed last weekend, some scheduled tasks have failed to run on Windows 10.The issue appears to be tasks scheduled to start between 0:00 and 1:00 do not run.I have several tasks starting at various times of the day and I have noted that two...
  6. Task Scheduler failing after BST and DST changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Scheduler failing after BST and DST changes: This raised to be current/ongoing as the auto-locking of threads on quiescence, which not much cop when issue only going to recur every 6 months, has locked good original. See...
  7. Task Scheduler failing after BST and DST changes

Task Scheduler failing after BST and DST changes: This raised to be current/ongoing as the auto-locking of threads on quiescence, which not much cop when issue only going to recur every 6 months, has locked good original. See...
  8. Task Scheduler failing after BST and DST changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Scheduler failing after BST and DST changes: We have hit an bug in Task Scheduler that seems to have surfaced between March 2021 and October 2021, The trigger for the issue is Daylight saving changes for the UK I guess Europe and may be other parts of the world and also there is some affect from the US DST change. I am...
  9. Task Scheduler failing after BST and DST changes

Task Scheduler failing after BST and DST changes: We have hit an bug in Task Scheduler that seems to have surfaced between March 2021 and October 2021, The trigger for the issue is Daylight saving changes for the UK I guess Europe and may be other parts of the world and also there is some affect from the US DST change. I am...
  10. WINDOWS 10 Task Scheduler Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    WINDOWS 10 Task Scheduler Issue: Hi all, I am having difficulty understanding why a task I've setup shows it has run and completed, but when I look in the event viewer logs this is not the case. The task I have configured runs when an event ID flags up within the event viewer. This works fine, except for...