Windows 10: Windows 10 Task Scheduler Security Changes Vs Windows 7

Discus and support Windows 10 Task Scheduler Security Changes Vs Windows 7 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Greetings, I currently have a Windows 7 solution applied to 1000+ laptop computers that allows a standard user to call devcon.exe to remove a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by BrandonEchols, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Task Scheduler Security Changes Vs Windows 7

Greetings,

I currently have a Windows 7 solution applied to 1000+ laptop computers that allows a standard user to call devcon.exe to remove a specific device (by device ID) and rescan device manager for new hardware, allowing them to resolve unspecified device/printer issues. For the users, all the have to do is click a shortcut on their desktop. Behind the scenes, the shortcut is calling a scheduled tasks running with SYSTEM permissions that calls a Windows Powershell script. The script calls devcon.exe to remove a specific printer by device ID and then rescans.

In Windows 7, scheduled tasks using accounts with elevated permissions can be used to allow standard users to complete administrative functions, when needed and designed by the administrator.

We're cutting over these computers to Windows 10 and it it appears that standard users can not see any of the tasks running with elevated permissions or with specific accounts (like SYSTEM), they therefore can't be called to run specific things designed by administrators. I can't find any other way to work around this issue for 1000+ users due to Windows 10 security changes. In this instance, I need standard users to be able to complete this function without having to call me or other administrators at all hours of the day and night.

What options are there with Windows 10 for something like this? Was this an intentional move by Microsoft, or a bug? I'd really like to see this functionality restored, you're making managing computers very difficult...

:)

BrandonEchols, Apr 25, 2019

2. Windows 7 Club

How do I disable the Experience/Assessment Index tool?

If you want to disable winSAT.exe then do the following:

Step 1. Go to Task Scheduler. You simply type it in the search box.
    Step 2. Browse to Microsoft\Windows\Maintenance by clicking on the arrow for Task Scheduler Library folder with the clock on it.
    Step 3. Disable the task named WinSAT. Which is found to the right in a small boxed window. Right click on the word WinSAT and select disable.

As for the changing desktop if you want to prevent it from shuffling do the following:
    -right click on desktop
    -click on Personalization
    -click on Desktop Background
    -Uncheck Shuffle

EastCoasthandle, Apr 25, 2019
  3. Window's Task Scheduler Not Running

Hi,

To assist you better, kindly provide us more details by answering the following questions:

• Have you tried recreating the task? If so, are you getting the same issue?
    • Have you tried creating a new task?
    Meanwhile, we suggest that you ensure that the Task Scheduler is running. You can verify if the service is running by following these steps:

• Press Windows key + R on your keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • Under Services (Local), make sure that the Task Scheduler service's status is
      Started or Enabled.
    Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Apr 25, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Task Scheduler Security Changes Vs Windows 7

Task Scheduler no change possible

Hi Jay,

For us to isolate the issue with modifying task scheduler, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • Are you getting any error messages? If yes, what is the exact error message?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you create a new user profile,
    and check if the issue still persists.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Apr 25, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Task Scheduler Security Changes Vs Windows 7

1. Windows 10 Task Scheduler Security Changes Vs Windows 7 - Similar Threads - Task Scheduler Security

2. Windows Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Task Scheduler: Hello, I am using Task Scheduler on idle mode action to execute an application written in Visual Basic. When the computer exits idle mode the application is closed. My question is how does the Task Scheduler close applications because my code in the closing event handler...
  3. Windows 7 vs Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 7 vs Windows 10: Why I feel Windows 10 is acting slower than Windows 7 in my machine? My device is Dell latittude e5410. RAM 4GB DDR3. HDD 500GB. CPU core i5 3rd gen. I know it's old. But windows 7 and windows 10's minimum requirement is completely same. Then why windows 10 seems slower....
  4. Windows 7 vs 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 7 vs 10: Running Adobe programs I have a new windows 10 computer bigger faster 32g ram you name it but it is so much slower then my old windows 7 computer why https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-vs-10/16332006-550c-4ae1-8718-ee19372bcff6
  5. Task Scheduler tasks configured for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler tasks configured for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2: I needed to create a new task and schedule it. First time I've configured Windows for tasks, so I did a bit of exploration. I noticed a fair number of tasks were scheduled for these older versions of Windows. *Eek Will these tasks still run OK on my Win 10 Pro 64 system? Do I...
  6. Windows 10 vs. 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 vs. 7: How do I get my windows 7 back? When I upgraded I lost all my Office Package (i.e. word, excel, powerpoint, etc.). https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-vs-7/598e0d36-869b-4fcf-98eb-b1866a3dddef
  7. Task scheduler windows 10: how to change the default user?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Task scheduler windows 10: how to change the default user?: When I edit a task I already created (like the one in the print screen), and press ok, it set a wrong user (it sometimes set it as "medium mandatory level", and the task won't run until I set the user as "Me-PC\Me" Where can I set the default account for the task to...
  8. Windows 7 vs Windows 8 vs Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 7 vs Windows 8 vs Windows 10: I'm a Mac person... What is the difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8 and Windows 10? I've learned that newer is not always better. Also, I believe Windows 7 or Windows 8 was considered a bomb, right? The content of this question is I am trying to figure out...
  9. Task Scheduler problem - Past Windows 7 tasks give error popups

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Task Scheduler problem - Past Windows 7 tasks give error popups: After an in-place upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, Task Scheduler always comes with error popups for many tasks. "Task X: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid." After closing all of them, I can get into Task Scheduler but I can't see any of those...
  10. Import Task to Task Scheduler in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Import Task to Task Scheduler in Windows: here is how you can bulk export all tasks: create a folder named "all tasks" on desktop run that in powershell as admin (change the path bellow) Code: Get-ScheduledTask | foreach {Export-ScheduledTask -TaskName $_.TaskName -TaskPath $_.TaskPath |Out-File (Join-Path...