Windows 10: Windows 10 Task view freezes prevents return to desktop

Discus and support Windows 10 Task view freezes prevents return to desktop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My computer is running windows 10 version 10.0.17134. When I press windows + TAB to launch the task view / virtual desktop the task view freezes on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by B.Short, Oct 6, 2018.

1. B.Short Win User

Windows 10 Task view freezes prevents return to desktop

My computer is running windows 10 version 10.0.17134. When I press windows + TAB to launch the task view / virtual desktop the task view freezes on the screen. I can't change virtual desktops I can't alt F4 out. If I press CTRL ALT DEL the screen overlay comes up where I can select the task manager but when I select it the task manager loads to the desktop where I can't get access to it because the task view is frozen in place. I can click on the start menu and it will pop up but any program I try to access will again load to the desktop that I can't access.

I don't know if this matters but I use my computer for creating very large photoshop files which I save to a NAS. Is it possible that the file history function that windows 10 has is getting overwhelmed buy the amount of large files located remotely causing the task view to freeze? I've really come to depend on the virtual desktops that windows 10 offers for my graphic workflow so this issue has been very annoying. The only way for me to get my computer back is to restart.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Machine specs:

cpu - Core i7 5930k

gpu - asus 980 ti

ram - 28 GB

motherboard - MSI

:)

B.Short, Oct 6, 2018

2. Windows 10 task view assign applications

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are facing difficulty in assigning the applications to a specific virtual desktop. Let me help you in clearing your doubts.

The virtual desktops feature in Windows 10 is called “Task View” and is located on the Taskbar.

I suggest you to follow the steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Click Task view. When you open the Task View interface for the first time, or you only have one desktop, the “Add a desktop” button is available.

Step 2: Click it to add virtual desktop.

Step 3: Open the apps that you want to use on that desktop.

Step 4: Click Task view again to switch between desktops.

Hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on Windows related query and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Oct 6, 2018
  3. Task View

It's the Task View, not the Task Bar, that is the problem. I should be getting the popup (right clicking on Task View) showing the options for additional Desktops, not the five options for the Task Bar. A 'chat' with MS Solutions said that I should reinstall
    Windows 10 to MAYBE correct this problem. Any suggestions to correct?? Thanks for your interest...I really appreciate it.
    The Task View is the only feature that I may like on 10!!

Whitfield orWiemholt, Oct 6, 2018
  4. Geethu B Win User

Task View Blue Screen

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.

• What happens when you open task view from task bar?
    • Are you able to switch between all of your open apps on multiple desktops?

Are you trying to disable task view feature in Windows 10? If yes, please try these steps.

a. Right-click on task bar.

b. Uncheck show task view button.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Oct 6, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Task view freezes prevents return to desktop - Similar Threads - Task view freezes

2. not seeing desktop background in task view

in Windows 10 Gaming
    not seeing desktop background in task view: I am running windows 11 build 22631. I am using windows spotlight for desktop background but when i open task view I am seeing the generic file icon instead of the background...
  3. Task view, desktop contents

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task view, desktop contents: Hi, If I add desktops in TaskView, and open one, they all have same contents same webpages, same excels open etc. If I close one tab in e.g Desktop 1, it also closes in e.g Desktop 2 = all desktops are identical.Question: how do I get different contents to different desktops?...
  4. Task view, desktop contents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task view, desktop contents: Hi, If I add desktops in TaskView, and open one, they all have same contents same webpages, same excels open etc. If I close one tab in e.g Desktop 1, it also closes in e.g Desktop 2 = all desktops are identical.Question: how do I get different contents to different desktops?...
  5. Task view, desktop contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows 10 task view

Windows 10 task view: Whenever use task view on windows 10, I usually have at most three tasks and switch between them with CTRL+WIN and arrow keys. But yesterday I was really tired and opened like 53 tasks because I was bored, and now every time I close one it does a mini screen refresh which...
  7. Reordering Virtual Desktops on Task View

Reordering Virtual Desktops on Task View: Hello, I have read a number of support articles on this site and elsewhere, and there appear to be options missing from my context menu when I right-click on a virtual desktop in task view. [ATTACH] Compare to the image at this link, which has 5 total options in the...
  8. Windows 10 Task view

Windows 10 Task view: Labels are missing from all open windows in Task View. They have always displayed until today - now I do not know what each window is. Just happened. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-task-view/9d5ed804-d7ed-4aee-820e-3b1d619838a5
  9. Windows 10 - Task View

Windows 10 - Task View: Windows 10 - Unable to clear files on Task View. Two calls to Geek Squad unsuccessful. Actually, after the last call, the names of the files accessed do not appear on the screen - just a blank box....
  10. Task View/Virtual Desktops.

Task View/Virtual Desktops.: Hi everyone. I've been using the Task View feature a lot on my PC, and I was wondering if I could make the two desktops different from each other? For example. Having a desktop or 2 for school/work, and one for Gaming. With different shortcuts on the desktop. Different...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. task view freezing

2. windows 10 task view freezes

3. task view freezes

4. windows 10 virtual desktop hangs,
  5. windows virtual desktop switcher frozen,
  6. task view freeze,
  7. TASK VEIW FREEZING,
  8. task view freezes windows,
  9. freeze desktop view,
  10. press task view and desktop freezes,
  11. task view freezes on battery