Windows 10: Windows 10 taskbar programs won't maximize unless the Ctrl key is pressed

Discus and support Windows 10 taskbar programs won't maximize unless the Ctrl key is pressed in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; About 25% of the time, randomly, programs in the taskbar will not maximize when clicked on with the mouse. I need to point at the taskbar icon and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by John_Tsouris, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Windows 10 taskbar programs won't maximize unless the Ctrl key is pressed

About 25% of the time, randomly, programs in the taskbar will not maximize when clicked on with the mouse. I need to point at the taskbar icon and then hit the Ctrl key. There is no time that using the Ctrl key will not work to maximize the screen.

25% is a lot. I'm needing to do this thirty times a day.

The computer is already set to PC screen only mode.

I ran DISM, and it found nothing.

I'm assuming this is a bug? How does one report this?

I'm running 1909 Pro.

:)

John_Tsouris, Feb 5, 2020
  2. Gino Des Win User

One Window hides another window When it is maximized and when it is clicked on taskbar it never shows it runs on the back of maximized window and never display untill maximized window is minimized

Hi,

You might be experiencing this problem because the rendering layer priority of the maximized application is respected even when you switch focus to another program. Normally, when you maximize an application, it will hide or cover all other applications
    until you switch to a different program. To help us identify the cause of this behavior, we would like to know the following information:

• Do you only experience this issue with a particular program?
    • Have you made any changes to your computer before experiencing this issue?
    • Are you using multiple monitors?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, you might also be experiencing this issue because Windows Explorer (Explorer.exe) is not working correctly or not responding.
    Windows Explorer is the process that provides the graphical interface such as the Start menu, taskbar, notification area, and File Explorer. To sort this issue, we suggest that you restart Windows Explorer. The easiest way is by restarting your computer.
    If you do not want to restart your computer, you can also follow the steps below:

• Hold Ctrl+Shift while right-clicking on an empty area of the taskbar.
    • On the modified context menu, select Exit Explorer. The Start menu and taskbar should disappear.
    • Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager.
    • Click More details on the bottom part of the window.
    • Click on the File menu, and select Run new task.
    • Type explorer.exe, and click OK.

Keep us updated on the status of the issue, and we will be glad to assist you further.

Gino Des, Feb 5, 2020
  3. Berton Win User
    Taskbar overlapped by maximized windows. How to?

And don't confuse Maximized with Full Screen, separate things. Full Screen is obtained by pressing F11, does remove/obscure most things such as Toolbars and the Taskbar. Pressing F11 again toggles back to normal view. As mentioned there's also the Auto Hide Taskbar in Settings.
    Pressing F11 does accomplish that.

Berton, Feb 5, 2020
  4. Windows 10 taskbar programs won't maximize unless the Ctrl key is pressed

Windows 10 won´t start any program as Administrator

Hello. I´m having this issue since installed one of the latest Windows 10 system updates.

When I try to open any program that requires Administrator confirmation (that screen with the Yes/No question), this dialog won´t appear anymore. The screen background stays darkened and nothing happens.

1. Using Windows 10 Home (x64)
    2. My microsoft user account is properly checked
    3. I´m the administrator of the PC
    4. Already tried do create another administrator user account - same problem, no success
    5. Cannot start any program/service that requires administrator authorization (not even regedit)
    Please help!

Fabiano Lehmkuhl, Feb 5, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 taskbar programs won't maximize unless the Ctrl key is pressed

1. Windows 10 taskbar programs won't maximize unless the Ctrl key is pressed - Similar Threads - taskbar programs won't

2. Gap between program and taskbar when maximizing program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gap between program and taskbar when maximizing program: Hi.Not sure if this is linked to a Windows update, but within the last 2 weeks I have started getting a gap between my taskbar and the programs I maximize. This has never been a problem before. See attached picture. Sometimes I can re-start the PC and it is gone but comes...
  3. Gap between program and taskbar when maximizing program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Gap between program and taskbar when maximizing program: Hi.Not sure if this is linked to a Windows update, but within the last 2 weeks I have started getting a gap between my taskbar and the programs I maximize. This has never been a problem before. See attached picture. Sometimes I can re-start the PC and it is gone but comes...
  4. PC press "Ctrl +" or "ctrl wheelup" keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC press "Ctrl +" or "ctrl wheelup" keys: Couple weeks ago my PC started pressing these keys randomly and nothing helped, i will try reinstall windows from 11 to 10 and if problem won't disappear i will have no clues what's wrong with it....
  5. PC press "Ctrl +" or "ctrl wheelup" keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC press "Ctrl +" or "ctrl wheelup" keys: Couple weeks ago my PC started pressing these keys randomly and nothing helped, i will try reinstall windows from 11 to 10 and if problem won't disappear i will have no clues what's wrong with it....
  6. ALT codes won't appear unless I press a random key afterwards

in Windows 10 Customization
    ALT codes won't appear unless I press a random key afterwards: Hello, Today, despite no settings change on my part, my ALT codes changed behaviour on my work computer. In Office programs : I used to simply hold ALT and type the code, and when I released ALT, the code would appear. Now, when I release, nothing happens, and I have to...
  7. Some keys won't work unless if I press them in combination with the windows key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Some keys won't work unless if I press them in combination with the windows key: A, F, X, C, N, Comma, full stop, forward slash, Left Alt These keys are currently not working unless if press them in combination with the windows key which makes "C" open the file explorer and makes "full stop" log me off. I've already followed standard troubleshooting...
  8. Ctrl Key acting as if it is pressed??

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ctrl Key acting as if it is pressed??: I'm using surface pro 5th generation with Windows 10. Recently, it is acting as if Ctrl key is pressed while it is not. Please assist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ctrl-key-acting-as-if-it-is-pressed/c0665232-f51b-421d-9e22-71bc6dcc5535
  9. Ctrl key keeps being pressed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ctrl key keeps being pressed: I have this issue since few days ago, but now has become much more severe. Basically after i log on to window the ctrl keys are presssed, as indicated by the on screen keyboard as shown in the attached picture. [IMG] i tried unplugging the keyboard and using another one...
  10. Windows won't boot unless I press a key

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows won't boot unless I press a key: I was dual-booting Windows 10 and Kubuntu but decided to delete my Linux partition using the disk manager (rookie mistake), which made me unable to boot into Windows since the Grub bootloader couldn't find the now deleted Linux installation. I used a bootable USB with...