Windows 10: Windows 10 Taskbar Search Box and "Show hidden icons" Control Move to Wrong Display After...

Discus and support Windows 10 Taskbar Search Box and "Show hidden icons" Control Move to Wrong Display After... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have five (5) displays. I have display 1 set as my Main display, which has the main taskbar with the search box and "Show hidden icons" control. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Terry_434, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Terry_434 Win User

Windows 10 Taskbar Search Box and "Show hidden icons" Control Move to Wrong Display After...

I have five (5) displays. I have display 1 set as my Main display, which has the main taskbar with the search box and "Show hidden icons" control. I often remotely log into my computer via remote desktop connection (RDC) from home or when traveling. Windows 10, however, does not completely reset the taskbars back to their previous states after RDC is used.

After having used RDC to log into my computer from a remote location, when I come back to the office and log into my computer locally, I find that the main taskbar has moved to another display. Currently it is moving to display 5, which is connected to the video card via DVI. Display 1, however, still is indicated as my Main display and has all of the icons that are supposed to be there. To get the main taskbar back to display 1, I need to reset display 5 to be my Main display, and then again reset display 1 back to being my Main display. I end up needing to do this multiple times per week, which is annoying. That process used to screw up my desktop icon organization, but thankfully it no longer does.

Further information - I now have taskbars showing on all displays, but there is only one main taskbar. The other taskbars appear to be secondary taskbars that have a little circle for initiating a search in place of an actual search box, and they lack the "Show hidden icons" control. I would rather have the actual search box and "Show hidden icons" control showing in the taskbar presented on display 1. For instance, after logging in locally this morning and before resetting my Main display as described above, I selected the circle in the taskbar showing on display 1, but it opened the search box on display 5. The next time I selected the same circle, however, the search box did open correctly on display 1. Weird. Moreover, I frequently access the "Show hidden icons" control, and it is much more convenient for that to always be accessible on display 1.

Potential solutions:

1. (Preferred) Find a way to keep the main taskbar including the search box and "Show hidden icons" control on the Main display (display 1) after using RDC.

2. (Potential work around) Find a way to change all of the circles in the secondary taskbars to be full search boxes that alwaysopen on the display where they are located and add the "Show hidden icons" control to each of the secondary taskbars, having them always open the hidden icons on the display where they are located.

If anyone knows how to implement either one of these solutions, please let me know.

Background - Under Windows 7 I only had one taskbar showing on my Main display, and it always stayed put. The issue popped up after upgrading to Windows 10. Sometime along the line I discovered the option to show the taskbar on all of the displays but, as noted, this still does not fully address the issue.

Trouble shooting I have tried - I used to have two video cards (AMD 6000 series for three displays and AMD 5000 series for two displays). After the issue popped up, I tried using the 6000 video card for three displays and the CPU (I7 3770k) integrated graphics for two displays, but the problem persisted. Most recently I installed a single video card (RX 580) that handles all five of the displays. The problem still persists. I also have installed various video driver versions in the various configurations, and nothing has fixed the problem.

The next step I will try is connecting the DVI output from the video card to display 1 and getting a display port to DVI converter for display 5 (display 5 only has a DVI port and my video card only has one of those). Still, I am not confident this will fix the problem. I tried connecting display 1 to a DVI port when I had two video cards in the system, but the problem persisted with that configuration.

I have done some research, and it appears the same problem occurs when using NVidia video cards, so I think the problem is Windows 10 not completely resetting the taskbars back to their previous states after RDC is used.

:)

Terry_434, Oct 5, 2018
  2. Arjay Dom Win User

Search box on taskbar missing.

Hi John,

This issue with search box may happen if it's hidden from the taskbar.

To resolve the issue, follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the taskbar and select Search.
    • Select Show search box.

Feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Arjay Dom, Oct 7, 2018
  3. JohnHeinz Win User
    Windows 10 Search box

Which instructions are you suggesting I missed? There is no search icon. Right clicking the taskbar shows no search option. The "small characters" or icons trick did nothing. The regedit thing:
    Follow these steps to turn on the hidden search box:

• Open regedit
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
    • Inside the search key, create the new DWORD value named EnableSearchBox and set it to 1
    • Restart your computer or simply Explorer Shell
    Did not give me a search option that I can find.

So in at least MY version of windows 10 there is no search box I can find that will allow me to search my own computer to find possible misplaced files.

So what are the instructions?

JohnHeinz, Oct 7, 2018
  4. Windows 10 Taskbar Search Box and "Show hidden icons" Control Move to Wrong Display After...

No search box on taskbar Windows 10 Taskbar Search Box and "Show hidden icons" Control Move to Wrong Display After... :(

Hi Keith,

Thank you for posting your response in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern about search box in Windows 10.

Please try the below and check if you can see search bar on taskbar:

Steps:

• Right click on Taskbar, move the mouse cursor on to
      Search
      option.
    • Select Show Search icon (You will see Search icon beside Start)
    • Select Show search bar (You will see Search bar beside Start)

Check with the above and let us know if it helps, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 7, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Taskbar Search Box and "Show hidden icons" Control Move to Wrong Display After...

1. Windows 10 Taskbar Search Box and "Show hidden icons" Control Move to Wrong Display After... - Similar Threads - Taskbar Search Box

2. Windows 10 taskbar not showing app icons after move

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 taskbar not showing app icons after move: tldr: Taskbar is not showing app icons after directory move. These are portable apps.Example: How to reproduce the issue:1. I have a bunch of portable apps under C:\Programs\ The example in the photo is Git Bash: C:\Programs\Git\git-bash.exe2. I decided to organize the apps...
  3. Windows 10 taskbar not showing app icons after move

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 taskbar not showing app icons after move: tldr: Taskbar is not showing app icons after directory move. These are portable apps.Example: How to reproduce the issue:1. I have a bunch of portable apps under C:\Programs\ The example in the photo is Git Bash: C:\Programs\Git\git-bash.exe2. I decided to organize the apps...
  4. Windows 10 taskbar not showing app icons after move

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Taskbar ''Show Hidden icons''

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar ''Show Hidden icons'': Hi, when I update my windows to Windows 11 Insider Preview 22538.1000 rs_prerelease I faced like this. What is this and how does it work , is this bug or something? I can't do anything ,doesn't work right click or left click!! Other widgets gone upward ,that is so weird...
  6. Taskbar ''Show Hidden icons''

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar ''Show Hidden icons'': Hi, when I update my windows to Windows 11 Insider Preview 22538.1000 rs_prerelease I faced like this. What is this and how does it work , is this bug or something? I can't do anything ,doesn't work right click or left click!! Other widgets gone upward ,that is so weird...
  7. hidden icons shows the wrong icons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hidden icons shows the wrong icons: all my apps are shown as windows icons what to do to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hidden-icons-shows-the-wrong-icons/81811e57-c7b6-45ab-a322-423ba27e939c
  8. Taskbar Hidden icons, show wrong icons sometimes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Hidden icons, show wrong icons sometimes: Hello everyone i have problem with hidden icons on taskbar, when im start my PC all good the problem happend, when im close/exit the app and back later or Immediate so its show wrong icon. most time the icon of windows defender or mic icon. so if has some solution for the...
  9. Windows 10 Taskbar Search Box and "Show hidden icons" Control Move to Wrong Display After...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Taskbar Search Box and "Show hidden icons" Control Move to Wrong Display After...: I have five (5) displays. I have display 1 set as my Main display, which has the main taskbar with the search box and "Show hidden icons" control. I often remotely log into my computer via remote desktop connection (RDC) from home or when traveling. Windows 10, however,...
  10. Hide or Show Search Box or Cortana Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide or Show Search Box or Cortana Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10: How to: Hide or Show Search Box or Search Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show Search Box or Search Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10 Search Windows and the web from the taskbar to find help, apps, files, settingsyou name it. You can also get quick answers from...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. task bar search box is on the wrong monitor

2. show hidden icons box

3. search on taskbar wrong display

4. hidden icons on wrong monitor,
  5. felkod: 101102,
  6. Felkod: 101102