Windows 10: Windows 10 - Taskbar search doesn't work

Discus and support Windows 10 - Taskbar search doesn't work in Cortana to solve the problem; Ever since a couple of days ago the taskbar search stopped working. I searched online for solutions and found some odd advice. One of them said to go... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Vassilopoulos Agora, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Windows 10 - Taskbar search doesn't work

Ever since a couple of days ago the taskbar search stopped working.

I searched online for solutions and found some odd advice.

One of them said to go to control panel and use the native trouble shooter..How can I do that when the search bar doesn't work! (I use the search bar to go to the control panel and do pretty much everything)

The other person said to kill the Cortana process but I don't have that installed (or enabled) since I live in Greece.

:)

Vassilopoulos Agora, Oct 31, 2018
  2. I_askYou Win User

Windows 10: how to restore search bar in the taskbar?

When I right click on Taskbar, there is no "Search" in the list.

I_askYou, Oct 31, 2018
  3. APG6 Win User
    my taskbar search is working sporadically

My taskbar search bar is working some of the time. For example, if I type in "TaskMgr", it will list taskmgr, and when I click on it, it opens my Task Manager, as expected.

But if I type in a file name or an app, like WinMerge, it will list them properly in the Search list, but if I click on them, either nothing happens or it takes me to the root window of File Explorer, instead of to the file or the app.

I ran through all the steps on this page, to no avail: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-taskbar-search-not-working-windows-10

Any ideas?

4. Windows 10 - Taskbar search doesn't work

Windows 10: how to restore search bar in the taskbar?

Hi Jos,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is change in taskbar settings.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to show search bar in the taskbar and check if it helps.

1. Right click on Taskbar.

2. Then click on Search.

3. Select Search box from the list.

Please get back to us with an update on issue wit finding Search box in Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Oct 31, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 - Taskbar search doesn't work

1. Windows 10 - Taskbar search doesn't work - Similar Threads - Taskbar search doesn't

2. Windows 10 - Taskbar search not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 - Taskbar search not working: HelloTaskbar Search box is visible but unable to type in the box therefore unable to search .Please adviseRegardsJohn https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-taskbar-search-not-working/b95c2abb-8833-4a91-9748-edebbca52f18
  3. Windows 10 - Taskbar search not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 - Taskbar search not working: HelloTaskbar Search box is visible but unable to type in the box therefore unable to search .Please adviseRegardsJohn https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-taskbar-search-not-working/b95c2abb-8833-4a91-9748-edebbca52f18
  4. [SOLVED] Taskbar Search doesn't work in Windows 10?

in Cortana
    [SOLVED] Taskbar Search doesn't work in Windows 10?: Hello,I faced this issue on my Windows 10 laptop earlier today after latest updates being installed. I tried many methods to sort it out and here's the ONLY one that worked without any hiccups.DURATION and DIFFICULTY:- Minimum 10 minutes, depending upon your hardware and...
  5. [SOLVED] Taskbar Search doesn't work in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [SOLVED] Taskbar Search doesn't work in Windows 10?: Hello,I faced this issue on my Windows 10 laptop earlier today after latest updates being installed. I tried many methods to sort it out and here's the ONLY one that worked without any hiccups.DURATION and DIFFICULTY:- Minimum 10 minutes, depending upon your hardware and...
  6. [SOLVED] Taskbar Search doesn't work in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10 Taskbar Search Doesn't Work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Taskbar Search Doesn't Work: The Taskbar Search window is visible but I can't type anything in it when I click on it. I have looked at other solutions posted here but I can't find Control Panel or Troubleshooter or find anything that works. Please help!...
  8. Windows 10 Search Doesn't Work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Search Doesn't Work: I have several hard drives installed in my computer. I was looking for a particular .exe file that I have stored on my computer named "Webshots." When I typed Webshots into the search box, it only came back with web results. So I opened each of my drives and found...
  9. Search bar in taskbar doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Search bar in taskbar doesn't work: I have the "Search the web and Windows" bar in my taskbar but I can't type anything into it. If I go to "File Explorer" in the start panel, I can search for files. This worked in the past and I don't know what might have happened to make it stop working. I'm still...
  10. Windows 10 Search doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Search doesn't work: Hi there The Search doesn't work properly whether done via Brink's method (using the Charms and getting the search bar up) or searching using the menu search. (You can use file explorer but if I just want to find a file I shouldn't have to use that given there IS a...