Windows 10: Windows 10 thinks my custom font is a system font, won't let me delete or update it

Discus and support Windows 10 thinks my custom font is a system font, won't let me delete or update it in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I built a font. Been using it for 2 years in Windows 10. Suddenly Windows gave me a warning that I can't delete it because its a system font. Obviously... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JonFergus, Sep 19, 2020.

1. JonFergus Win User

Windows 10 thinks my custom font is a system font, won't let me delete or update it

I built a font. Been using it for 2 years in Windows 10. Suddenly Windows gave me a warning that I can't delete it because its a system font. Obviously it's not a system font. But this means I can't change it at all. I added some glyphs and want to update it, but even after installing the updated font, Windows simply renames it with *._4E.otf etc. and the new glyphs don't show up. This is completely maddening!

How I do I get Windows to realize this isn't a system font and to stop protecting it so I can delete the old version and replace it!?

:)

JonFergus, Sep 19, 2020

2. Windows 10 Creators Update fonts issue

Still broken for the Creators Fall Update, it seems...

Symptoms we see in Word for custom installed fonts are:

• Fonts not displaying correctly in the Fonts list.
    • Using a font causes the "Insufficient disk space or memory..." error.

Custom fonts do not appear in the system Fonts folder, and some standard fonts are greyed out. Attempts to reinstall custom fonts indicate they are already installed.

Wordpad: custom fonts are invisible in the fonts list. They can be selected by typing their name, but the font type does not display correctly.

Suggested workarounds have been tried with no success. We're really hoping Microsoft will prioritize this issue, as the media company I work at uses custom fonts heavily.

As mentioned in this thread already, fonts work fine with pre-1703 Windows 10 versions.

contractor22, Sep 19, 2020
  3. Bolded Font on Internet Browsers

Hi,

This issue may have been caused by a Windows 10 update that changed your font settings automatically. If you recently updated your operating system, we suggest that you follow these steps to see if the font will go back to normal:

• Type font in the search bar.
    • Select Change Font settings.
    • Click Restore default font settings.

Let us know the status of the issue to assist you further.

Dennis Mop, Sep 19, 2020
  4. NeoSOS Win User

Windows 10 thinks my custom font is a system font, won't let me delete or update it

Fonts

Hello,

I found these steps in this forum from back in 2010:

Step 1:

I would suggest you to try these steps and check whether it helps in fixing your issue.

Open font settings by clicking on start, click on control panel, and then click on appearance and personalization, under fonts click on change font settings. And select the font size.

Step 2:

If you’re trying to change windows font size then please follow the steps below:

To change Windows fonts

1. Open Appearance Settings by clicking the Start button and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type window color, and then click Change window colors and
    metrics

2. In the Item list, click the part of Windows that you want to change the font for. For example, if you want to change the menu font, click Menu in the list. Then, make any of the following changes:

· In the Font list, click the font that you want to use.

· In the Size list, click the font size that you want.

· In the Color list, click the font color that you want.

3. Repeat these steps for each item that you want to make changes to, and then click OK.

Does that help?

NeoSOS, Sep 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 thinks my custom font is a system font, won't let me delete or update it - Similar Threads - thinks custom font

2. Custom font, is it safe?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Custom font, is it safe?: This box says it may be difficult to get back to your default font size.I don't get itWhy would it be difficult? You just change the font back to the original size no?...
  3. Custom font, is it safe?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Custom font, is it safe?: This box says it may be difficult to get back to your default font size.I don't get itWhy would it be difficult? You just change the font back to the original size no?...
  4. Custom font won't delete on my computer I NEED HELP PLZ!!!!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Custom font won't delete on my computer I NEED HELP PLZ!!!!: I'm trying to delete the font called "Helvetica Neue Light" and the following error message pops up: "Font cannot be deleted because it is in use" and I tried to struggle to delete the STUPID font and the message pops up again and I'm afraid of destroying my computer with...
  5. custom fonts

custom fonts: I wish to make a custom font i downloaded online my default font. The font in question is "Rogue Hero Regular" the reason for this font is i wish to make my laptop deadpool themed. Yet when i set it as my "default font" through the .reg method it still reverses back to...
  6. Deleting "protected system" fonts

Deleting "protected system" fonts: When will you take protection off the multitude of foreign fonts most of us have no use for? There's no reason I should have to eat up facilities with a hundred or more fonts I will never use ever! How 'bout some action? Why are they protected in the first place? What is your...
  7. custom fonts to embed in windows 10

custom fonts to embed in windows 10: Why cant you change the font throughout the windows 10 platform? I'd like to change mine to Iron Maiden font for the entire computer! Anyone know a way around the strict/ lame font settings??...
  8. Windows Defender won't let me add C:\Windows\Fonts as an exclusion...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender won't let me add C:\Windows\Fonts as an exclusion...: Windows Defender is slowing my computer startup by scanning every single font I have installed (over 1000 of them), and it takes several minutes, during which my computer slows down considerably (takes 2 minutes for iTunes to start). I always scan my fonts with Defender and...
  9. Create Custom Font with Microsoft Font Maker app in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Custom Font with Microsoft Font Maker app in Windows 10: How to: Create Custom Font with Microsoft Font Maker app in Windows 10 How to Create Custom Font with Microsoft Font Maker app in Windows 10 A font is a graphical representation of text that may include a different typeface, point size, weight, color, or design. The...
  10. Delete all installed fonts (except system fonts only)

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete all installed fonts (except system fonts only): Hello, I wonder if I can delete all fonts, but keep the system fonts (which available when we install a clean windows 10. I notice that there ware about 200-250 fonts, but now is over than 1200 fonts) ? p/s: If you wants these fonts, I can send you *Wink [img] 50392